[OTTD] 2cc TrainSet - The Trains of the world in 2cc

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What kind of flag should futuristic trains have

UN Flag
46%
Olympic flag
7%
Have a suggested country
15%
No Flag
31%
Other, i've made a post about this
1%

Total votes: 249

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] 2cc TrainSet - The Trains of the world in 2cc

Post by Transportman »

Purno wrote:Like I said in your other topic, does this happen to all metro vehicles or just this particular one?
Just a quick check I did, it goes wrong because it is intended to use the Metro Wagon (at least as a last wagon), that will display the closed end, while the normal metro doesn't show the closed end. Also happens with other metro vehicles.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

So, let me rephrase to check if I understand;
The bug occurs when coupling multiple engines together rather than using only 1 engine which is coupled to passenger wagons?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Purno wrote:So, let me rephrase to check if I understand;
The bug occurs when coupling multiple engines together rather than using only 1 engine which is coupled to passenger wagons?
Yes, you understood it correctly, although I think it is fine to couple multiple engines and then a passenger wagon (haven't tested), as the passenger wagon gives the closed end.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

So to me, that doesn't really sound like a bug, but as a user using the set in a way which wasn't intended. There's no limited functionality here, right? But if you want to make a 2-car metro, you should use an engine plus a wagon, rather than two engines, right?

Still checking if I got this right :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

IIRC what DJ has told me about the code itself...

1 - you buy the front engine -> visible gangway
2 - each new carriage you buy becomes the rear engine
3 - if you add a new engine to the back of the train you basically go back to #1 above

Nothing wrong with the code, that's the way it's supposed to be. Doesn't mean it couldn't/shouldn't b e changed...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

So a set of two 2-car metros coupled together would be made by buying engine-wagon-engine-wagon?

Sounds fine to me :)
Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Yep. That would be it.

HOWEVER...

Metros in 2ccSet get additional power and TE for each new carriage. Therefore, it's not required to buy multiple engines (you basically end up with same power, TE and stuff) because IIRC this multi-engine variant costs more and has higher running costs afterwards.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

I don't know if someone asked this already, but is there a version of this train set in their original colours?
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Nope. There is no "world set" like you're asking...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

UseYourIllusion wrote:I don't know if someone asked this already, but is there a version of this train set in their original colours?
Thing is many engines and trains are used in several countries by different companies using different colors. What would be their "original colours"? :P

But this set didn't aim for realism, which is why there isn't any limit on train consists and such. Flexibility :P
Image Image
AdrienMR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AdrienMR »

Is there any chance to update the AGV model? This picture shows the new AGV train model (I know it is from and old newspaper but I haven't found any newer one) http://www.railwaygazette.com/uploads/p ... -model.jpg

P.S. The current model is already awesome, just asking! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

As long as someone draws it, and someone codes it, there's a chance. But I'm kinda done with spriting :)
Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

@AdrienMR - Both AGVs are mine, I'll take a look at this new design. Keep in mind that the small OTTD scale doesn't always allow to make big enough differencies. If it turns out to be a difference in just 1 or 2 pixels, it won't be worth it, IIRC the AGV has MANY sprites.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
AdrienMR
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AdrienMR »

Purno wrote:As long as someone draws it, and someone codes it, there's a chance. But I'm kinda done with spriting :)
And let me take the chance to thank you for all your work! :D
Voyager One wrote:@AdrienMR - Both AGVs are mine, I'll take a look at this new design. Keep in mind that the small OTTD scale doesn't always allow to make big enough differencies. If it turns out to be a difference in just 1 or 2 pixels, it won't be worth it, IIRC the AGV has MANY sprites.
Thank you for taking a look at it! :tongue: . Yeah I know, and the difference between the "old" and this new model isn't very big so I understand that it may not be worth the effort. Anyway I'm glad you gonna take a look :) thank you again!
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Ignore this post, it was impossible to understand properly. That's what I get for being sleepy. x)
Check out the next post.

It looks like I (probably) found a bug for this (and the latest nightly version of 2cc) with this being the only NewGRF enabled on a brand-new world.

When a train is forced to wait at a signal it jumps to low running cost for just a second but the regular running cost while driving comes back. It keeps refreshing the running cost every now and then and I can see the correct running price for a very short amount of time but the full running cost comes back still.

I tested this with one of the newer nightlies, picking up cargo in a station or actually stopping the train still results in low/correct running cost.
It might just be a bug in the nightlies but I really doubt so.

Regards,

Melvin.
Last edited by MasterMeNL on 19 Sep 2013 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

This is actually not a bug. A vehicle (even IRL) costs less when standing still and costs more when driving. :wink: Many other sets work like this too.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Voyager One wrote:This is actually not a bug. A vehicle (even IRL) costs less when standing still and costs more when driving. :wink: Many other sets work like this too.
Thing is, it doesn't work when standing still due to a red signal over here.
The running costs stays in the train running at normal speed condition while actually standing still.
And I can see it just to be amount of money it should be every now and then but it's only like 0,1-0,5 sec or so, after that it jumps straight back to the wrong running cost.

I'll test it in stable 1.3.2 as well, will edit this in a bit.

Edit: problem also exist in stable.

It only happens with non-path signals: block signals, entry signals, etc.
With a path signal the status is "waiting for free path" and running costs are low as they should be.
However, with a block signal it is "heading to X, 0 km/h" and running costs are high because 2cc probably thinks the train is actually moving.
The running cost will jump to low cost for a very very short time but it still jumps to the high running cost after it and it stays there until the game refreshes every 5 sec (in which case it is low running cost again for 0,1-0,5 sec).

Regards,

Melvin.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

I understand now. Unfortunately, I know nothing about coding so I can't help you. This could be a game "issue" or a NewGRF "issue", I can't tell. Sorry.

Maybe someone else can say...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The code used in 2ccTS is like (might be different for other engines, but I don't believe it is):

Code: Select all

//Low cost when standing still, for use in the '10' at the RUN cost spot HEAD
-1 * 0  02 00 EC 82 B4 00 FF 01			// 1 case
                          MU_nnn_RCOST_IDLE 80 00 00	        // Standing still cost
                          MU_nnn_RCOST 80	// RUN cost

//Low cost when standing still, for use in the '10' at the RUN cost spot WAGON
-1 * 0  02 00 ED 82 B4 00 FF 01			// 1 case
                          MU_nnn_RCOST_IDLE 80 00 00	        // Standing still cost
                          MU_nnn_RCOST_WAG 80	// RUN cost
Thus it checks variable B4 (current speed) when determining running costs. It's set to MU_nnn_RCOST_IDLE when speed is 0. And MU_nn_RCOST otherwise.

I'm not too familiar with the exact movement code...
MasterMeNL wrote: It only happens with non-path signals: block signals, entry signals, etc.
With a path signal the status is "waiting for free path" and running costs are low as they should be.
However, with a block signal it is "heading to X, 0 km/h" and running costs are high because 2cc probably thinks the train is actually moving.
The running cost will jump to low cost for a very very short time but it still jumps to the high running cost after it and it stays there until the game refreshes every 5 sec (in which case it is low running cost again for 0,1-0,5 sec).
might actually be true. It smells a bit like something one might want to investigate in detail in both the code of this set (which vehicle exactly? Every one?) and OpenTTD's movement code... but not before sleep for me :-)
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Thank you Planetmaker, much appreciated! :D
planetmaker wrote:but not before sleep for me
:D
Leon

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”