Useful Graphic Tools & Sites & Install Guides

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

New guidlines for creating a set: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=22199
:wink:
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Image Image Image Image
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

allright, some interesting graphic programs for creating TTD graphics:

PxPaint: http://pxp.grapefruitopia.com/

DPaint IV: http://amiga.emucamp.com/dpaint4.htm (old!! :wink: )

NewTek Aura 2.5: http://www.newtek.com/products/vt/info/ ... paint.html
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

And here's another one, for Mac addicts :P

Graphic Converter
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Useful Graphic Tools & Sites & Install Guides

Post by DaleStan »

Anyone interested in updating the first post?

> newgrf.txt ( topic )
Should this point to the wiki instead? And the topic is ancient.

> >> new >> graphics tutorials (Backup: graphics tutorials backup)
Access Denied to the main site.

> George's New Graphics ( topic)
Moved: http://george.zernebok.net/

>Have you made a tool yourself, post below here and I'll add it to the list, then I'll delete your post.
Most interested parties probably already know about NFORenum, but I'll plug it anyway.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Done.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Maybe to add to "WIN-DOS conversion" link to my converter?
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
ervin2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ervin2 »

how does the ttrs one work? (the complete city replcement) it says to copy the files into a newgf directory, but that dosent even exist...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Check out this topic http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=19694 I think it'll help you out :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

for Maccies amongst us: CrossOver runs i.Mage without a hitch, and might run most of the other smaller programs. perfect if you don't want to get stuck with Graphic Converter. :wink:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

Binky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Binky »

What about Pain.Net?
Paint.Net
Jasper30010
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jasper30010 »

i want GRFCreator :D
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

more for Mac:
Seashore

also, this seems interesting.

particularly interesting in this case is Pixen.

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Might be a silly idea, but what about adding http://www.railfaneurope.net as useful site? It got pictures of almost every European train, tram and metro. Would be useful for most graphic projects.

EDIT: And seeing as you linked to several graphic sites, why not link to http://linkage.tt-forums.net too?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
bugfinder
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by bugfinder »

Hi everyone! Bugfinder here.

I am thinking about making my own grfs but i need just a few pointers by doing it in MS-Paint
1) I have edited a couple of the original MS icons in my computer and left them as origninals and mixed different pixels together to make a folder icon that better suits what is in there. With every single icon it has an L shaped black line running from the top left corner to the bottom left corner and finishing at the bottom right corner. How am I to fix this? A certain prgram I can't recall has a checker/chessboard background to simulate that there is no background in the final picture.
2) Obvioulsy when a train turns a corner a new grf is used to show that it is facing that direction in relation to your eyes to still look 3D. This means that there are only 8 actual pics used in the one grf file. How do I meld them all into one file and have the file format changed to .grf without blatantly changing the filename format, which just doesn't work. It's like a blonde dyeing her hair just to be a brunette. She is still a blonde, dyed or not.
Help! How do I go about this. The read-me's and manuals don't help much. :?

Kind regards,
Bugfinder
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It's much much much more complicated than that, involving coding. Start here:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=22199

And particularly look at Patchman's GRF page. There is no easy way.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

bugfinder wrote:I am thinking about making my own grfs but i need just a few pointers by doing it in MS-Paint
You can't, and even if you could, you don't want to. Pick a different image processing program.
Then get out of the thread for listing tools and sites, and post in a thread concerning helping bugfinder learn NFO (And you have better be able to demonstrate that you have read the entire NFO spec.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

DaleStan wrote:
bugfinder wrote:I am thinking about making my own grfs but i need just a few pointers by doing it in MS-Paint
You can't, and even if you could, you don't want to. Pick a different image processing program.
MS Paint works fine, you just need a way to convert it to the correct palette, which for example GRF Maker does without problem, and even copying sprites into a decoded PCX file works fine. MS Paint has a terrific simple interface while you can do everything with it you want. I've been using MS Paint for several years for GRF purposes, and it works fine.
Image Image
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Drawing is the easy part. Coding is hard.
I suggest you join an existing project and do some artwork, there are always artists needed, and leave the coding for others.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

I'm not sure about that; as far as I'm concerned coding is much easier than drawing. But then I can't draw to save my life. :p
No-one's more important than the earthworm.

Return to “Graphics Development”