Anime faces set [not complete, unsure about how to finish]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What should I do about the "black" faces?

Make them "real" characters
44%
Make them manga-style (b/w)
28%
Just make more anime-style characters
28%

Total votes: 18

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Anime faces set [not complete, unsure about how to finish]

Post by jfs »

I've been working on replacing the company manager faces shown in the Company Status windows. I've made a complete replacement for the "white" faces, and I've started replacing the "black" faces with pictures of "real" characters from various animes.
But I don't think the "real" characters fit in very well, and I'm having trouble picking good characters, so I don't know if I'll continue doing that. Instead I've thought about making them "manga-style" instead, ie. black/white instead of colored.
I would like to know what you thing I should do. The current version is here:
http://www.jiifurusu.dk/ttdsge/animefaces2-win.exe
As the name says, it's a patch for trg1r.grf from Windows TTD. I haven't made a DOS version yet, as it's still in beta.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

They look pretty weird, I would prefer real faces
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Something that might be cool, would be to get real photographs of various big shots. You know, like Donald Trump, Richard Branson, maybe some old robber barons of the past?

I did kind of like the "random face generator" thing. You could maybe update some of the face pieces, like nicer hairdos or something like that.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I don't like the idea of having fixed images in TTD really, IMO it's more fun with randomly generated faces. It's hard to get photos to look good because of the limited palette, it's even hard to get flat-colored images like the current real anime characters to look good! And I don't know a program that can convert a true-color image to a paletted image ignoring some specific palette-indexes. (Some of the faces use some of the special colors reserved for palette animation and stuff, that doesn't look well.)

I've hand-drawn all the graphics, btw., so if you think it looks bad that's because I'm not very good at drawing :) I do think some of the graphics need to be redrawn, mostly to fit into a more general style.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'm not criticising your work, I can't (I haven't installed it.) I was speaking of general thoughts. There's one thing I'm not sure I understand though. You said you like the randomly generated faces, rather than photos of real people (and I think this makes sense.) Then how are you using real anime characters? You could use random pieces of anime faces I suppose, but then most of the randomly generated faces would be, well, random, and not look just like any particular actual character.

Which characters were you using? Somehow, I don't know how appropriate Doraemon would be, or Pikachu.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

You can put single "real" faces in if you decide on one face-part that should be the whole face. The eyes are a good choice, there's many of those. So make all the face-parts blank except for the eye-parts, and then resize the "eyes" to fill the whole face-area. It won't be a very good randomness you get (it might pick the same faces two or maybe even more times in a row) but it will be "real" faces.

But as I said, there's a mix of random and "eal" faces in my pack, which is only possible since TTD already has two seperate graphics-sets for faces, white people and dark people. For the white faces, I have redrawn all the face-parts, not to look like any specific character, just into some kind of "generic look". For the dark faces, I have replaced the eyes with cropped screencaps from various anime, but it doesn't look too well. If you download and install the set you'll know :)
Petae
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Petae »

Add more anime faces, I'd like to have Ash or Misty or Heero (Gundam Wing) as my face :D

EDIT: almost forgot but can you please make a hamtaro??? pleez
Last edited by Petae on 12 Aug 2003 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is relative
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

real ... real ... real ... but you already knew that :wink:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
way2good
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by way2good »

Make them real. Like Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden etc :D
troopper5
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by troopper5 »

I think someones would get angry for that...

I say that real faces are better.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

way2good wrote:Make them real. Like Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden etc :D
easy way ... just enter FBI page copy all photos :mrgreen: and paste them in new trg1(r).grf
(of course tey have to be changed to TTD palette)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

G4S wrote:You can put single "real" faces in if you decide on one face-part that should be the whole face. The eyes are a good choice, there's many of those. So make all the face-parts blank except for the eye-parts, and then resize the "eyes" to fill the whole face-area. It won't be a very good randomness you get (it might pick the same faces two or maybe even more times in a row) but it will be "real" faces.

But as I said, there's a mix of random and "eal" faces in my pack, which is only possible since TTD already has two seperate graphics-sets for faces, white people and dark people. For the white faces, I have redrawn all the face-parts, not to look like any specific character, just into some kind of "generic look". For the dark faces, I have replaced the eyes with cropped screencaps from various anime, but it doesn't look too well. If you download and install the set you'll know :)
if you use photoshop, I can send color fixing action to you

Return to “Graphics Development”