Planeset [version 1.5.3 released 2006-10-24]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Do you like the 'planespeed' switch?

Poll ended at 14 Aug 2003 16:11

Yes
21%
No, planes go to fast
42%
You should be able to set percentage
38%

Total votes: 24

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

459 wrote:Maybe I'll try to do something for running costs in the near future - the purchase costs are IMO fine, they should be sufficiently balanced compared to appx. everything else except US Set. People seem to have different opinions over the right style of pricing things.
I suppose we could add a "high" and "low" switch. Or make it change based on the cost settings in the game. Personally I like the higher costs of the US set because it makes it more challenging and realistic, and means you have to concentrate on fitting the correct vehicle to each service. That'd be true with planes too.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aydan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aydan »

I was thinking along the lines of crates being moved into the cargo bay or the external pod being affixed/removed. But you'd have to use all states as an animation all the time and not depending on load state.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I don't think that would fall under the loading feature. I think that would be a general animation feature. Recently the Patch did add the ability to make things animated that weren't previously; I don't know if this applies to aircraft as well. Ask Csaboka. Sounds like something for a later release anyway.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Aydan wrote:Can you tell me how exactly the load/unload states work? I'll probably do some for the cargo 747 and the AN-124. Is unload just load reversed? Or are they seperate?
For every vehicle, there are two groups of sprites, loading and loaded. Which spriteset (state) is chosen from each group is solely dependent on the quantity of cargo the vehicle is carrying. If, for example, there are two loading states, the first will be used when the vehicle is less than half full, and the second when the vehicle is more than half full. But, once the plane leaves the gate[0] the sprites will switch to the appropriate loaded state. There need not be the same number of loading and loaded states.

A spriteset can be (and often is) used in both groups.

I hope that made sense.

[0] vehicle leaves the station, in general.
krtaylor wrote:
459 wrote:[purchase costs]
I suppose we could add a "high" and "low" switch. Or make it change based on the cost settings in the game.
The prices already do change depending on the difficulty settings.
Aydan wrote:I was thinking along the lines of crates being moved into the cargo bay or the external pod being affixed/removed. But you'd have to use all states as an animation all the time and not depending on load state.
Interesting ... Animation would not be as difficult as I had previously thought. There's this nice useful byte that gets incremented 6 times per tick (~74 ticks per day), so we can change which sprite we are displaying very consistantly, regardless of vehicle speed.

OTOH, I'm not sure we're talking about the same type of animation here.

The NFO format is incredibly powerful. With very few exceptions, draw whatever you want, describe how it's supposed to work, and that's the way it'll work.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

I made the open backdoors for alle sprites were you can see it. For the Top Views of the Chinhook there is no need to draw the bBackdoors because you wouldn't see it. The Chinhook sprites are to small and the angle is not the right one to draw cargo inside the Chinhook. If the Chinhook had sidedoors, the commercial version has escape doors on the side, I could draw cargo inside. I can make the Windows darker for the loaded Chinhook to show cargo.

I also resized the military versions windows. The commercial version has much more and smaller windows.

There was also a failure in one of the Chinhooks sprites. I fixed that.

cu, Spaceball
Attachments
Chinhook with opne backdoors and different windows.
Chinhook with opne backdoors and different windows.
chinook_loading02.png (14.58 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Contributor to the Planeset.Planeset Thread
DVDs - Gotta Catch Them All!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

One thing I don't think I've said, is just how incredibly good the Chinook looks in flight. Your work with the rotors was superb.
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

What about this Cargo Type? The US Army has used the Chinook to transport Bell Helicopters and Tanks or Hummer vehicles this way:

cu, Spaceball
Attachments
chinook_aircargo.png
chinook_aircargo.png (812 Bytes) Viewed 1514 times
chinook_aircargo2.png
chinook_aircargo2.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
Last edited by Spaceball on 23 Mar 2005 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, you're on the right track with that cargo sling. It doesn't have just ropes though, it's in a net.

You can also do cylindrical or spherical bladders, for water and oil.
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

I used this Picture. http://www.simlabs.arc.nasa.gov/photos/ ... inook.jpeg

With a net I could draw boxes in it or barrels.

How is the Chinook supposed to land with this? There must also be landing Sprites to be drawn.

cu, Spaceball
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'd say the net disappears when it lands. IRL it would hover and somebody would unhook the thing, or it would land to the side, but we can't do that.
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

I just finished the Chinook with the container underneath. Now I will go on with the Net including barrels and other stuff.

cu, Spaceball
Attachments
Chinook with container
Chinook with container
chinook_aircargo3.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
chinook_aircargo4.png
chinook_aircargo4.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
Last edited by Spaceball on 23 Mar 2005 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I guess the way it works is, in the air the container hangs down. When it lands, the container goes to the side. Then it disappears, and the chopper taxis with no container dragging alongside. Makes sense to me.
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

I started with the barrels. I am not really sure if this works that way.
Attachments
Chinook with barrels
Chinook with barrels
chinook_barrels.png (924 Bytes) Viewed 1464 times
Chinook with barrels on ground
Chinook with barrels on ground
chinook_barrels2.png (1012 Bytes) Viewed 1461 times
photoshopped airport test
photoshopped airport test
chinhook_airport_test.png (103.18 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I don't think we want to show the barrels while the chopper is taxiing around the airport grounds, dragging them along behind. I don't think that's realistic.
Aydan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aydan »

I've posted an animated Ruslan here
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Which needs to be included in this PlaneSet, 459, as the one we have isn't very good.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Good grief!
New Chinook GFX, new Ruslan GFX, what next?

Whatever happened to Aydan's Zeppelin graphics? They aren't on the tracking table. krtaylor, does that mean you aren't happy with them, or just that they never made it to the tracking table?

I'm not sure how many of the Ruslan sprites we can use; getting that to animate correctly will be difficult.[0] But it is beautiful, and I would love to get it in-game.

[0] I won't say impossible yet; I need to take a close look at the savegame internals and NFO specs.

Spaceball, I don't understand how the sprites you drew with the cargo drawn up against the side of the chopper are supposed to work. Also, it looks to me like we'll need N/S-bound sprites with external cargo for both the slung and side-mounted versions.
I guess we need to decide which cargos should be carried how; I propose:
Passengers: internal
Coal, iron ore, copper ore: internal
Mail: internal
Valuables/Gold/Diamonds:internal
Livestock, Grain&c, fruit: internal
Oil, water, rubber: slung bladder
Goods: slung crate or bladder [1]
Wood, steel, paper, food: internal or slung crate [2]

[1] depending on refit state (Goods(manufactured) or Goods (oily))
[2] Possibly random, possibly just one, possibly different sling sprites depending on cargo type

Discussion welcome, also, do we want to consider Toyland cargos? Currently, the PlaneSet will load in Toyland.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

DaleStan wrote: Whatever happened to Aydan's Zeppelin graphics? They aren't on the tracking table. krtaylor, does that mean you aren't happy with them, or just that they never made it to the tracking table?
<looks>

Yes, you're right. There were so many different versions I must have lost track. Certainly I want them, they're the best Zeppelins we have. Please post the last version of each of them, and I'll put them on the table. Aren't they already coded anyway?

I think the PlaneSet should include Aydan's versions of:
Zeppelins
Osprey
Shorts
Antonov

Other things, we can discuss later.
Aydan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aydan »

Here's the zeppelins with slightly lightened hull and red rudders for easier recoloring.
Attachments
zep.png
zep.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

krtaylor wrote:I'd say the net disappears when it lands. IRL it would hover and somebody would unhook the thing, or it would land to the side, but we can't do that.
can't we? i think its possible at a helepad, the bottom of the sprite touches the helepad, so if the sprite is taller than normal only the cargo would touch the helepad, and the roters could be coded to keep 'rotating'. It wouldn't be quite as effective at an airport, but there must be a way t determine if an aircraft is at a large, small, or heleport?

Return to “Graphics Development”