Extra Station Names for JGR Patchpack

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Extra Station Names for JGR Patchpack

Post by 3iff »

Presenting...

Extra Station Names - a new grf to add many extra station names.
This will work ONLY with the JGR patch pack.
It also requires a modified NML compiler to compile the source .nml file. This compiler is available.
There are currently about 130 extra station names (so far).

There are 3 parameters that control the appearance of lighthouses, transmitters and the probability of using the new names.
The defaults are 30 (of 255), 30 (of 255) and 200 (of 255 - maximum probability of using the new names).
I don't know what the original values are for lighthouse/transmitter creation but 30/30 seems roughly comparable.
These values can be set from 0 to 255 as you deem appropriate.

Please note.

Version 1 is just a few posts below this post. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

You MUST be using a JGR patchpack that can support extra station names (I think around v43)
but preferably use at least version 50.
Many new station names may currently appear in somewhat unsuitable places, like 'Lakeview' that is nowhere near a lake.
Some station names can duplicate existing station names. This may be an issue with the way the game deals with duplicate
names, not necessarily a problem with this grf.
Of course you can rename stations.
There are currently no extra names for airports, heliports or oil rigs.
I suggest you do not use this for a main game as the first official release will not be compatible with this Beta.
All names are in English.

This program is only 2 days old so it's very much a work in progress...

Please give this a try if you can. I would appreciate any/all bug reports, comments, suggestions.
Attachments
Little Bonningville Transport, 27th Mar 1935.png
(81.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by 3iff on 18 Apr 2023 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Extra Station Names for JGR Patchpack

Post by 3iff »

Hmmm, very quiet.

Anyway, testing is going very well but I need at least another week to fine-tune the script and data.
At least I no longer have to see ...station #77 or the like any more, which is excellent.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, that's pretty annoying.
No problem renaming them, but when you run out of ideas?
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

How can I provide french translation?

Also, why does I have stations starting numeroting from 73?
Don't your GRF should create up to 130 new names?
Non nommé, 1er Jan 2025.png
(592.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Translations won't actually work. It's a bit like town name grfs...they really need to be specific for the language or townset. I explain as much in the readme for V1 (coming in a few minutes!).
However, creating names relevant for French (or any language) should be easy.

There are a lot of new names, even more now, but if all of one type are used up, it will revert to station #number. Names are classed as "Near town", "NOT near town" or "anywhere".
In your example you may have used all the "near town" names.

Version 1 Full release
==================

Please have a look at the enclosed readme.txt for a comprehensive explanation of the scripts and TWO (yes two) station name grfs.
As mentioned above, translations are not really feasible. It will need a major re-edit of the language file to accommodate different station names.
I'm willing to assist if necessary but I'm not online very often so there will be a few days delay from getting a file and turning it into a working grf.

Just unzip the file and add the V1.grf to your game (and optionally add the V1special.grf too).

Comments welcome.
Attachments
ESN.7z
(15.31 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I found a bug.
Do you store the already attributed names in the savegame ?

I built a long time ago a truck station beside a bank, then it was called "<city> bank".

Then I saved many times, restarted the game many times. And then, I thought a train service would be better.
So I built a new train station beside the bank, and I got a second station called "<city> bank" ! :shock:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

That seems more like a normal name to me. Bank is a common station name at a bank, as with other factories, there is always the same industry-related name.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

You can have Alphaville Bank and Betatown Bank. Bank would merely be a suffix for a town name.

You should not normally get a duplicate name, but I have seen duplicates in games pre-this grf.
I had something like... Alpha Central and another Alpha Central that was completely unrelated to the first station.
All you can do is rename one of them. It's nothing to do with this script.

I have seen duplicate names since using this but it's VERY rare.

Hope you're enjoying the script despite your small problem.

Return to “Graphics Development”