Finnish Rail Infrastructure & Stations Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Finnish Rail Infrastructure & Stations set [0.1.0, WIP]

Post by kyosuke1989 »

The next thing to do is some more stations. Also codingwise, merging of separate grf's now is important. Specs are ready for that. Finnish Trainset is finally coming too ;)

And next thing after stations should be the platforms and other stuff (level crossings etc..) on stations. I think that Dutch Station Addition set is a good starting point for that, since it's GPL and it has many things thought trough already. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=64121
Paasky
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Paasky »

If I may suggest my home station, Tikkurila. It is the 3rd busiest in Finland, after Helsinki & Pasila, and should become the 2nd busiest once the airport-rail is finished.

The old station building was the only brick station between the 1st railway of Helsinki-Hämeenlinna.
https://www.google.fi/search?q=tikkuril ... s&tbm=isch

The current station has been there since the 70's, and they are currently building a new large one, akin to Malmi or Pasila:
https://www.google.fi/search?q=tikkuril ... a&tbm=isch

All in all, a really cool project, hope to see it grow 8)
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Paasky wrote:If I may suggest my home station, Tikkurila.
+1 for my home station. :)

The current station haven't been like this since the 70s, it was renovated with new platforms and roofs somewhere in 90s-00s.

It's hard to find good pictures from that era, but the platforms were this basic low asphalt.

http://vaunut.org/kuva/77982
slaca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slaca »

Hey I just found this awesome rail tracks. Is there a way to use it with total bridge renewal set? Do you plan to release a new update with more details like new parameter settings?
kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by kyosuke1989 »

There is a plan to integrate rails and road grf's to current FRISS, and when it will be done, there will be options on this NewGRF, and it will be released on BaNaNaS like the current one (contains objects). It's waiting for coder to code, graphics are already available, except some sprites.
slaca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slaca »

Cool, but what if I just want to use the railtracks and not the roadtracks?
kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by kyosuke1989 »

There will be a parameters such as "Use Finnish Roads" and "Use Finnish Rails" then.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I would actually suggest to keep roads, tracks and stations separate:

A trackset is a nicely confined task, even if you include it with its separate tunnels, signals and depots. It's one of the nice features where you really do not need to worry about ground tiles at all anymore, nor do you need to worry about bridge support. Railtypes give you all that for free, it's given, even ground-aware tunnel entrances and ground- and road-aware level crossings.

Stations need also no knowledge about track types and can be made ground-aware as mart3p just demonstrates. Not sure, maybe it needs special sprites for the four default tracks, he'll know. NewGRF trackset sprites are used, if such NewGRF(s) is/are used and it should just work.

Roads on the other hand are a task which can easily spiral out of hand due to the amount of realsprites needed and combinatoric explosion with ground tiles ;-) You need to provide road graphics for every ground tile and the inner city roads. You need to provide graphics for bridges, thus you need to include road bridges in completeness. You need to provide replacements for the level crossings with default railtypes. And possibly want to replace the road depots, too.
Still, if you want to do that, I can recommend you to have a look at OpenGFX+ Landscape. Disregarding bridges it generates all road sprites automatically. All you need to do is add your roads in a separate layer in the gimp file and adjust the export script.

Export rules: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogf ... il.xcf2png
Stub gimp script (it's adjusted for each exported image): http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ogf ... gimpscript

Additionally: having that in three NewGRFs makes it easy to configure: Add NewGRF. Or not add it. Done :-)
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

planetmaker wrote:Stations need also no knowledge about track types and can be made ground-aware as mart3p just demonstrates. Not sure, maybe it needs special sprites for the four default tracks, he'll know.
No special sprites are required, the default tracks use the sprites from the loaded base set (original TTD, OpenGFX etc.).
planetmaker wrote:NewGRF trackset sprites are used, if such NewGRF(s) is/are used and it should just work.
It does just work if the station simply has platforms on either side of the track.

Difficulties with railtypes support only occurs when an overlay is used partially covering the track. For example, the ISR mineral unloader. This requires custom overlays for some railtypes.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

I've drawn some platforms for FRISS. They're modified from Dutch platforms, and the brick texture is from Canadian stations. And yes, I have no idea about the licences. :|
Attachments
frissplatformz.png
frissplatformz.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by kyosuke1989 »

alluke wrote:I've drawn some platforms for FRISS. They're modified from Dutch platforms, and the brick texture is from Canadian stations. And yes, I have no idea about the licences. :|
Those Dutch Station Addition Set sprites are GPL v2, so shouldn't be problem. :)

DanMacK PM'd me earlier about those Canadian Station set sprites that we can use them as long as Lifeblood is credited, so that shouldn't be problem either. :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Yep, the DSA-set is indeed GPLv2, so you can use those sprites as you like (as long as your set also will be under GPL license, if I understand the use of the license correctly).
Good to hear that they are of use to you and I look forward to your progress, more stations, more diversity, more pretty eyecandy!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by kyosuke1989 »

New and old signals are now revised, and work began for integrating everything (at least rail-related Finnish Infrastructure stuff) to FRISS.
Those are on better scale than they were before, and generally better, i think.
Attachments
new_system_signals.png
new_system_signals.png (9.32 KiB) Viewed 5075 times
old_system_signals.png
old_system_signals.png (9.35 KiB) Viewed 5075 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I agree with you. Beautiful semaphores :D . In the game are not so many types of signals. This will be a worthy addition to the existing .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

kyosuke1989 wrote:DanMacK PM'd me earlier about those Canadian Station set sprites that we can use them as long as Lifeblood is credited, so that shouldn't be problem either. :)
I'm far from an expert on licenses, but you sure there isn't a conflict between both "licenses"? As far as I know, GPL requires you to release any new stuff under GPL, so I guess you'd need DanMacK's and Lifeblood's permission for that too, isn't it?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
johannes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by johannes »

Nice progress with this and train set :)

(Hey Purno, still playing ME3? ;) )
www.jmsaari.net
All my work for Transport Tycoon series are under GPL.
kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by kyosuke1989 »

There is now change of plans, see first page for newest scheme. FRISS will consist of two parts, FRISS - Stations and other infrastructure , and FRISS - Rail Infrastructure, so users can decide, if they'll use stations or rails or both.
Purno wrote:
kyosuke1989 wrote:DanMacK PM'd me earlier about those Canadian Station set sprites that we can use them as long as Lifeblood is credited, so that shouldn't be problem either. :)
I'm far from an expert on licenses, but you sure there isn't a conflict between both "licenses"? As far as I know, GPL requires you to release any new stuff under GPL, so I guess you'd need DanMacK's and Lifeblood's permission for that too, isn't it?
Yeah, i'll discuss this with him.

EDIT: Shunting signals, OJ2010-signals (narrow!) and Helsinki Metro signals.
Attachments
shunting_signals.png
shunting_signals.png (16.36 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
metro_signals.png
metro_signals.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 4924 times
oj2010_signals.png
oj2010_signals.png (14.76 KiB) Viewed 4920 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

My permission for any of my stuff stands - Ask me to confirm, but it's all GPL-able. Lifeblood game me permission to use any sprites from the Canadian Station set as well back in 2009. It's all good.
kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by kyosuke1989 »

And then, let's have some mechanical full-barrier level crossings, and a little more old system signals:

"Mikkeli" versions are from 1930's era. Version 1 is from northside of Mikkeli station and the version 2 is from southside of Mikkeli station. Version 3 is fictional, having additional lights on both sides of crossing. Pietarsaari version was updated from "Mikkeli"-versions at Pietarsaari crossings on 1980's, Mikkeli's own crossings were on original looks until their removing (southern crossing was removed at 1987, northern crossing at 2000). All of these crossings were removed or replaced with newer type of crossings on early 2000's (2000-2001). Last partly functional example, without any lights remaining, is on Savonlinna, on city center-side of Kyrönsalmi bridge, where there was combined road and rail bridge, taken out of active use (of roadside) on 1970's.

"Reserved" Older system signals are for, if some point of future there is Pre-reserving PBS signal patch introduced, or multi-aspect signals patch, or both.
Attachments
full_barrier_crossings.png
full_barrier_crossings.png (702.86 KiB) Viewed 4827 times
old_system_signals.png
old_system_signals.png (25 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
kyosuke1989
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by kyosuke1989 »

And then, let's have some signs, signals and other eyecandy, still untemplated. Any comments? :) Next there will be speed signs and presigns coming.
Attachments
signs_untemplated.png
signs_untemplated.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4737 times

Return to “Graphics Development”