Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:57 am 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 9:39 am
Posts: 4
Hi!
I started using GRF maker, but when I'm trying to save a project, I get an "Invalid filename" error. I looked for a solutions here, and other forums as well, but couldn't solve it. However, they're old posts, and I'm using the latest version of OpenTTD, and 4.01 version of GRF maker.
Not only my projects can't be saved, but when I load another .lst file and try to save it again, I can't do it either.
So if anyone could help me, I'd be grateful.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:55 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 6165
Location: Eastern KY
As posted just a month ago: viewtopic.php?p=1146482#p1146482

railroader123 wrote:
I've done evrything that guide has told me to but I keep getting an 'Invalid Filename' error whenever I try to turn it into a grf file. I'm using the lastest version. I've cleared it out, reinstalled it and redone it word for word and it still continues to fail!!!! Can someone please help?

See here: viewtopic.php?p=895739#p895739

Keep in mind: GRFMaker is dead. The project was actually abandoned by its original authors several years ago, and nobody has submitted any code fixes for the open source branch in five years. It is not up-to-date with modern OpenTTD. It is likely a better use of your time to learn meta-languages like NML and M4NFO, or just the raw NFO.

_________________
Do you like drones, quadcopters & flying toys? Check out Drone Strike Force!
Image

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:39 am 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 9:39 am
Posts: 4
Thank you, I didn't know about it being dead. I couldn't even make it to work with "newgrf" folders. Seems like I have to look for other methods, as you said.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:22 pm 
Offline
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:44 pm
Posts: 9036
Location: Sol d
The recommended way to write NewGRFs is to use one of the two languages:
* NML, a higher-level programming language for NewGRFs
* NFO, the primary NewGRF language, similar to assembler programming

NML supports all features except support for NewGRF bridges and stations.

See http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Main and http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Main_Page
There's also a lot of tutorials, and see also this forum's NewGRF development section

_________________
Image
OpenTTD: manual | online content | translations | Wanted contributions and patches
#openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | DevZone | NewGRF web translator
DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:49 am 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:05 pm
Posts: 5327
Location: Canada
planetmaker wrote:
The recommended way to write NewGRFs is to use one of the two languages:
* NML, a higher-level programming language for NewGRFs
* NFO, the primary NewGRF language, similar to assembler programming

NML supports all features except support for NewGRF bridges and stations.

See http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Main and http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Main_Page
There's also a lot of tutorials, and see also this forum's NewGRF development section
m4nfo does both bridges and stations.

_________________
wallyweb on tt-forums: Screenshots - Projects - Releases
wallyweb on Simuscape: Projects - Releases
Other Stuff: TTDPatch 2.6 "Nightly" download - cirdan's OpenTTD branch (New Map Features)
Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016 - January 2018


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:05 am 
Offline
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:44 pm
Posts: 9036
Location: Sol d
wallyweb wrote:
planetmaker wrote:
The recommended way to write NewGRFs is to use one of the two languages:
* NML, a higher-level programming language for NewGRFs
* NFO, the primary NewGRF language, similar to assembler programming

NML supports all features except support for NewGRF bridges and stations.

See http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Main and http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Main_Page
There's also a lot of tutorials, and see also this forum's NewGRF development section
m4nfo does both bridges and stations.


Except that it doesn't quite fit the list of compilers as it's a collection of macros which in turn generate plain NFO. Thus you need additional to the NFO-compiler even more boilerplate in form of the macro processor.

_________________
Image
OpenTTD: manual | online content | translations | Wanted contributions and patches
#openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | DevZone | NewGRF web translator
DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:56 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:05 pm
Posts: 5327
Location: Canada
planetmaker wrote:
Except that it doesn't quite fit the list of compilers as it's a collection of macros which in turn generate plain NFO. Thus you need additional to the NFO-compiler even more boilerplate in form of the macro processor.
Nevertheless m4nfo is still a valid tool that can assist the NewGRF coder and should be included if only out of common courtesy.

_________________
wallyweb on tt-forums: Screenshots - Projects - Releases
wallyweb on Simuscape: Projects - Releases
Other Stuff: TTDPatch 2.6 "Nightly" download - cirdan's OpenTTD branch (New Map Features)
Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2015 - Tied May 2016 - January 2018


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:04 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 233
Location: Budapest, Hungary
viewtopic.php?p=869787

_________________
My Screenshots
Hungarian Station Set
City Tram Track, City Objects, City HQs
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:11 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 233
Location: Budapest, Hungary
bsamu wrote:
Hi!
I started using GRF maker, but when I'm trying to save a project, I get an "Invalid filename" error. I looked for a solutions here, and other forums as well, but couldn't solve it. However, they're old posts, and I'm using the latest version of OpenTTD, and 4.01 version of GRF maker.
Not only my projects can't be saved, but when I load another .lst file and try to save it again, I can't do it either.
So if anyone could help me, I'd be grateful.
Try to create a data and a newgrf folder in your openttd game folder, don't use accented characters ,check your setting and the colors/palette. Ups, and the grf maker needs projects and newgrf folder in himself" .


Attachments:
sw.PNG
sw.PNG [ 3.26 KiB | Viewed 1457 times ]

_________________
My Screenshots
Hungarian Station Set
City Tram Track, City Objects, City HQs
Image
Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 233
Location: Budapest, Hungary
kamnet wrote:
As posted just a month ago: viewtopic.php?p=1146482#p1146482

railroader123 wrote:
I've done evrything that guide has told me to but I keep getting an 'Invalid Filename' error whenever I try to turn it into a grf file. I'm using the lastest version. I've cleared it out, reinstalled it and redone it word for word and it still continues to fail!!!! Can someone please help?

See here: viewtopic.php?p=895739#p895739

Keep in mind: GRFMaker is dead. The project was actually abandoned by its original authors several years ago, and nobody has submitted any code fixes for the open source branch in five years. It is not up-to-date with modern OpenTTD. It is likely a better use of your time to learn meta-languages like NML and M4NFO, or just the raw NFO.
and the last version is 4.09C2 or something :) and up to date :)

_________________
My Screenshots
Hungarian Station Set
City Tram Track, City Objects, City HQs
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:34 pm 
Offline
Tycoon
Tycoon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 6165
Location: Eastern KY
Again, no, it's NOT up-to-date. GRFMaker's use should be discouraged as much as possible in favor of better and more frequently updated tools.

_________________
Do you like drones, quadcopters & flying toys? Check out Drone Strike Force!
Image

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Valle and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000-2018 phpBB Limited

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2018.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.