OpenGFX2

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

OpenGFX2

Post by Zephyris »

Presenting OpenGFX2!
253749866-1adabdf4-baf8-48b2-ae35-279c3d808d0e.png
253749866-1adabdf4-baf8-48b2-ae35-279c3d808d0e.png (204.32 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
Download
Get the latest releases at Github: https://github.com/zephyris/opengfx2/releases

It's not available in the in-game content system, at least not yet...

What is it?
You can think of OpenGFX2 as a few things:

OpenGFX "directors cut". I drew a lot of OpenGFX; the landscape, infrastructure tiles, most industries, most towns/houses, original trees, etc. I think it's OK, but not great. OpenGFX2 is my chance to make an improved coherent base set.

OpenGFX 32bpp. Lots of OpenGFX sprites started life as full RGB images, then converted to the 8bpp palette. OpenGFX2 is a chance to revive and use those source images.

OpenGFX Extra Zoom. I want to play OpenTTD on big screens more zoomed in. zBase was my foundational attempt to get an extra zoom graphics set off the ground... But community interest to build on this foundation never materialised. OpenGFX2 is a chance to make a more original TTD graphics/pixel art-style extra zoom base set.

What is the ultimate goal?
I'm not 100% sure, but probably a "classic" 1x zoom 8bpp base set, and a "high definition" 4x zoom 32bpp base set. Maybe it'll replace OpenGFX, maybe it won't.

Can I help?
Help would be greatly appreciated! Particularly spotting and reporting bugs on Github, helping with 4x zoom sprites, or helping turning sprite generating scripts into transferable tools.
Last edited by Zephyris on 18 Jul 2023 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
kamnet

Re: OpenGFX2

Post by kamnet »

Is it planned that these will be drop-in replacements for OpenGFX as a base set, selectable from the main menu?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I'd like it to be... Stylistically it is what I wanted to achieve. A question is whether it's worth merging all the updated graphics into the OpenGFX repo, ie. Just update it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If it works on OpenTTD 1.0.0, then I don't see why the repo cannot be updated with the new sprites.

If so, can we also submit a PR for OpenTTD to modify the settings so that we can select 8/32 bpp and grid/gridless rather than using a NewGRF to change that?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It should be backwards compatible, I think... Its more than just sprites though, there's a bunch of sprite generation code which I'm not sure belongs in the OpenGFX repo. Needs some thought...

Re. Gridless settings, discord consensus seems to be newgrf parameter support for the "extra" newgrf of the base set is the way to go.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Zephyris wrote: 15 Jul 2023 21:23 It should be backwards compatible, I think... Its more than just sprites though, there's a bunch of sprite generation code which I'm not sure belongs in the OpenGFX repo. Needs some thought...
Then perhaps its better to just keep it in its own repo and offer it as an upgrade for those who want it.
Zephyris wrote: 15 Jul 2023 21:23 Re. Gridless settings, discord consensus seems to be newgrf parameter support for the "extra" newgrf of the base set is the way to go.
Meh. I'm always rooting for being able to get rid of NewGRFs when possible, but I also see the benefit of using it instead of letting mission creep corrupt the core code too much.

In that case... could you expand the utility of the Settings NewGRF by incorporating features from OpenGFX+ Landscape? I specifically very much use the "Temperate grass in arctic climate" parameter, along with setting snowline boundaries and tunnel/foundations.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

All very possible, foundations could already be coded from existing sprites. IIRC I've already done the snowline using different climate grass, tunnels would be trivial, etc.

*edit*

Thinking about base set settings, I think I'd consider:
* Cursor style
* Gridlines on ground, ground and water or neither
* Foundation style for each non-toyland climate (for temperate, arctic or tropical)
* Grass variant (temperate, arctic or tropical) for each non-toyland climate
* Trees (temperate, arctic or tropical non-cactus/agave) for each non-toyland climate
* Whether to use stylistic variants for road/rail cargoes per climate (eg. arctic-specific coal lorry/wagon)
* Tunnel style per infrastructure type
* Abutments vs. Sloped bridge ramps

Do these make sense as base set settings? Anything else?
McBorer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by McBorer »

Looks very nice, but cursor is even bigger than original. Should be smaller or 'OpenGFX' cursor set as default to enjoy EZ in server games. Anyway, great work. :bow: :bow: :bow:
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

I made a grf with OpenGFX1 GUI sprites that you can use a as static. It includes cursor and ez buttons.
Attachments
cm_ogfx1_gui.grf
(96.75 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
McBorer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by McBorer »

Wow! Thank you very much, but what I meant was that when playing on public servers you cannot use your own grf. Even though I have 'OpenGFX2 settings' set to 'OpenGFX-style, yellow', when playing on the server (like n-ice or BTPro) this large cursor returns. So another grf won't help either, I meant the smaller default cursor in baseset itself. I'm sorry for wasting your time and thank you for effort. Your work in game is impressive. Thx
Last edited by McBorer on 30 Aug 2023 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

McBorer wrote: 30 Aug 2023 15:05 Wow! Thank you very much, but what I meant was that when playing on public servers you cannot use your own grf. Even though I have 'OpenGFX2 settings' set to 'OpenGFX-style, yellow', when playing on the server (like n-ice or BTPro) this large cursor returns. So another grf won't help either, I meant the smaller default cursor in baseset itself. I'm sorry for wasting your time and thank you for effort. Your work in game is impressive. Thx
A static NewGRF is one that is loaded before you join a game. To do this, first load the NewGRF by itself and then save it. Exit the game, open your openttd.cfg file and then copy then line from the [newgrf] section and paste
it into the [static-newgrf] sections. Save the file, restart the game and now it will load every time you join a multiplayer server.

This can only be done with certain newgrfs, they must ONLY change how the graphics look and replace the default sprites in the game. If the NewGRF does anything else then it cannot be added as a static NewGRF.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

For now it is a pain, hopefully we can get base set parameter support in the future... That would depreciate the settings grf, but I'm afraid for now we're stuck with it.
McBorer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by McBorer »

It works!!! _dp_ & kamnet Thank You!!!
Last edited by McBorer on 30 Aug 2023 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

Will you include OpenGFX BigGUI features into this? I quite like the 1.5x icons as it is the most comfortable for my monitor resolution.
I am Limyx826.
Revenge_of_KioTheDev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Revenge_of_KioTheDev »

Limyx826 wrote: 08 Oct 2023 14:55 Will you include OpenGFX BigGUI features into this? I quite like the 1.5x icons as it is the most comfortable for my monitor resolution.
yes this sounds like good idea
makar0niasty
Engineer
Engineer

Post by makar0niasty »

EDIT: Ignore me...somehow had a wrong impression. Logo has not changed between 0.1 and 0.2.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Limyx826 wrote: 08 Oct 2023 14:55 Will you include OpenGFX BigGUI features into this? I quite like the 1.5x icons as it is the most comfortable for my monitor resolution.
It's on my list of things I'd like to include, but starting with 2x icons...
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

Zephyris wrote: 10 Oct 2023 12:16 It's on my list of things I'd like to include, but starting with 2x icons...
Cool, will wait for it.
I am Limyx826.
Rapha_493
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rapha_493 »

Wanted to ask: would there be any OpenGFX+ equivalent to OpenGFX2?
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Zephyris I just want to say, THANK YOU!

Finally some light at end of the tunnel for a full 4X Zoom set.

Return to “Graphics Development”