FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

tinco
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by tinco »

Hi there,

I saw some years back a discussion of making FIRS in the 32bpp graphics, compatible with the zBase baseset. I didn't have time to sift through all the discussion afterwards, so just a quick question - is there a FIRS version, where there are 32bpp graphics please? Or was it scrapped? Thanks

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

tinco wrote:
10 Sep 2020 14:42
Hi there,

I saw some years back a discussion of making FIRS in the 32bpp graphics, compatible with the zBase baseset. I didn't have time to sift through all the discussion afterwards, so just a quick question - is there a FIRS version, where there are 32bpp graphics please? Or was it scrapped? Thanks
A few years ago somebody asked Andy if he would do it. Andy said no but that others could do it. Somebody proposed doing it and never did.

fridaemon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fridaemon »

andythenorth wrote:
27 Jun 2020 16:21
I use your industry set for years, and I love it the most. But what I definetely don't like is Hotel. Don't you wanna replace it by nicer or totally another version? Maybe with using more types of hotels?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN 1.0 EDIT YOU CAN EXCEPT:
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Shops
Underground Passenger Entrances * Garage Entrances

tinco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tinco »

Thanks for clarifying. Pity it wasn't realized...
kamnet wrote:
10 Sep 2020 15:47
tinco wrote:
10 Sep 2020 14:42
Hi there,

A few years ago somebody asked Andy if he would do it. Andy said no but that others could do it. Somebody proposed doing it and never did.

Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

The production of scrap metal in steel town (FIRS 4) can be a bit limited. Maybe the metal working industries (wire and section mill, sheet and pipe mill, body plant, etc) could also produce a small amount of scrap metal (off cuts)?

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Diesel Power wrote:
23 Sep 2020 08:59
The production of scrap metal in steel town (FIRS 4) can be a bit limited. Maybe the metal working industries (wire and section mill, sheet and pipe mill, body plant, etc) could also produce a small amount of scrap metal (off cuts)?
Grow your towns! :D

Scrap production is tied directly to town population. This was an experiment to see if I could provide a reason to bother growing towns.

Without some kind of cargo-industry benefit, there is no reasonable rationale for growing a town, as they just get in the way of train lines. :twisted:

I'm not sure how well it works though.

I've been considering alternatives. It's one of the reasons FIRS 4 isn't on general release yet :)

I've been wondering about delivering vehicles directly to scrap yards, as an input. As otherwise I never transport vehicles cargo, as there's literally no point. :shock:

2TallTyler
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 2TallTyler »

andythenorth wrote:
23 Sep 2020 13:52
I've been wondering about delivering vehicles directly to scrap yards, as an input. As otherwise I never transport vehicles cargo, as there's literally no point. :shock:
Incentivizing certain cargos seems more like a gamescript application. As much as I favor scrapping the automobile in favor of public transit and walking/biking, I’d feel silly shipping new cars directly to the crusher. ;)

I quite like how production is scaled to the town population. If it’s a problem of player awareness, perhaps the industry window could explain this function?

I’m also happy to add direct house production of cargos to Improved Town Layouts, as I’ve done with Waste in Improved Town Industries. It’s trivial to check for industry sets and produce whatever cargo (Recyclables, Scrap Metal, etc) you or other industry creators would like. I have not done this with FIRS to avoid unbalancing the economy with the existing Recycling Depot, for example.

Return to “Graphics Development”