FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by Pyoro »

If I remember that right, you need to click on the water just 5-tiles of the coast, for a 4-tile industry, not on the coast tile.
clickhere.png
clickhere.png (17.3 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Pyoro wrote:If I remember that right, you need to click on the water just 5-tiles of the coast, for a 4-tile industry, not on the coast tile.
I can confirm that this works, though it's quite strange. For the other orientations you need to click on the coast tile, and not on the water. It's also a bit difficult to figure out where on the water someone would have to click, and I'm having trouble getting it to build a port on the North-East side of a tile
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Darthrafael wrote:I can confirm that this works, though it's quite strange. For the other orientations you need to click on the coast tile, and not on the water.
Think of it like this: for every industry you always need to click on the top right corner (well. I'm actually not sure whether this is true but generally it should be xD )

The one thing I don't get is why the extra tile is necessary but that may be a case of layouts or something.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Pyoro wrote:
Darthrafael wrote:I can confirm that this works, though it's quite strange. For the other orientations you need to click on the coast tile, and not on the water.
Think of it like this: for every industry you always need to click on the top right corner (well. I'm actually not sure whether this is true but generally it should be xD )

The one thing I don't get is why the extra tile is necessary but that may be a case of layouts or something.
I guess it makes sense if you put it that way. Still, I wouldn't have thought of clicking on a water tile to build an industry. That being said, I've made some images showing where you need to click to build what industry in the two directions which don't involve clicking on the coast. Maybe some people might find it useful.
[+] Spoiler
Port

Liquids Terminal

Bulk Terminal

Trading Post

Fishing Harbour
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

I too have always had trouble placing coastal industries manually. I always thought it was due to some restrictions on industry placement. Not so apparently!

I've just tried Pyoro's solution and can also confirm it works. Thanks Pyoro!

@ Andythenorth. Perhaps you could put a note in a readme, or post Darthrafael's examples on the FIRS webpage.

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's an artifact of Transport Tycoon Deluxe's coding. The industry is always created starting with the top-most corner, and all sprites are then generated from back to front. It's not very intuitive from a human standpoint, because we don't normally think of building things on water first when the foundations are typically started on land. OpenTTD doesn't care if that is land or water, as long as the code knows what's going where.
whatnames
Engineer
Engineer

Post by whatnames »

Hello!
I wanna try the latest FIRS but I am not sure what vehicles set to use, specially for road that is reasonably up to date (I checked the wiki but info seems too old). For the rest I have NARS, Squidatefish.

Thanks in advance!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Any sets developed or updated in the last few years should be able to support FIRS cargoes. The wiki is likely outdated as to specifics.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Just tried out beta 8, noticed that it still identifies as beta 7 in NewGRF list.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

FIRS 3.0.0 Alpha 9 now on bananas (added bonus: I uploaded the correct file for this release, previous release had wrong file).

Alpha 9 isn't savegame compatible with previous FIRS releases.

Changes

- translations updated, thanks translators :)
- added Limestone cargo, used in the Steeltown economy instead of generic Stone
- adjusted Quarry production in Steeltown economy, to produce relatively more Limestone than Sand, for game balance
- improved industry mini-map colours, mostly for Steeltown economy
ttdlover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ttdlover »

Hi there, i was just wondering whether or not is possible to make a simple GRF that will replace the "old traditional Steel Mill" with your awesome new one - just like iron ore --->> https://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/detail ... ils&id=113
and coal mine --->> viewtopic.php?t=21389

oh, and can i get FIRS 2.0.0 GRF file?, or where i can download older versions? thanks.
Attachments
sample steel mill.jpg
sample steel mill.jpg
sample.jpg (136.01 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

ttdlover wrote:Hi there, i was just wondering whether or not is possible to make a simple GRF that will replace the "old traditional Steel Mill" with your awesome new one - just like iron ore --->> https://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net/detail ... ils&id=113
and coal mine --->> viewtopic.php?t=21389

oh, and can i get FIRS 2.0.0 GRF file?, or where i can download older versions? thanks.
You can download nightly releases and old stable versions from here : http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Blast Furnace NML attached. It would need a lot of editing to remove cargo production switches etc. It also needs wrapping in more NML (the grf block etc). This is just a fragment for the industry and won't compile without more work. License is GPL v2.

Sprites are here http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/fir ... industries
blast_furnace.nml
(77.29 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Ups, seems that my Preindustrial house newgrf is broken when new FIRS is loaded. My newgrf brings back powerplants, utilising standard openttd tiles, but now it went into 'terror mode' and ask for explosives instead of coal. Probably standard openttd tiles are using fixed numerical Id for coal, is it possible to fix it?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

Newgrf FIRS has blocked power plants from newgrf Wires. Electricity is unusable :-(
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

agentw4b wrote:Newgrf FIRS has blocked power plants from newgrf Wires. Electricity is unusable :-(
Newer versions of FIRS are less tolerant of other industry sets, especially if you're using "Extreme" settings. It's best to use only one industry set.

WIRES is very much a "mess, hacky test grf" as its author notes, who also notes it's problematic because FIRS uses nearly all the industry slots in "Extreme". It was created to test some ideas, and can't be relied on for solid gameplay.

Return to “Graphics Development”