FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by leifbk »

I noticed today that there was a deviation between the original versus the translated Norwegian string in STR_EXTRA_STEELMILL, as you have changed the input parameters a bit. That's not a problem in itself, but there seems to be no way to notify the translator of the change. There's an "outdated" status in the translator, is that supposed to be set manually?

As of today there are quite a lot of changes relating to the future "Steeltown" economy. While I look forward to testing it, there are plenty of new concepts around, and there's no reasonable way to get the stuff effectively translated until we get a hands-on experience of it. For instance, I have no idea about what may constitute "power train components", but I'm sure that eventually I'll get a hint ;)

I love FIRS, and please keep up the good work.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

I discovered an error in the base string for STR_EXTRA_BIOREFINERY which says: "{BLACK}Cargo production:{} 6,000l per 8t grain delivered{} 6,000l per 8t sugar delivered". The "sugar" should of course be "sugar beet".
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

leifbk wrote:The "sugar" should of course be "sugar beet".
Fixed, thanks.

To aid translators (and newgrf authors) I have added hint text to some of the cargos here ;)
http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/pus ... argos.html

Whilst Steeltown is being developed, a lot of the strings for it will be wrong, or frequently changing. I encourage translators to continue contributing though, as the work will pay off when Steeltown is finished (more translations ready on shipping day) :)
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

andythenorth wrote:
ISA wrote:I have been talking with JGR about my frinend latest crash in his game. Look here.
OpenTTD bug (no loops in newgrf). ;) What FIRS version?
Latest what is available. Due the new year preparations we cant get the exact number.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

ISA wrote:Latest what is available. Due the new year preparations we cant get the exact number.
If it's a late Dec. 2016 build from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/push/LATEST/

...then it might be because that relies on this addition to OpenTTD https://git.openttd.org/?p=trunk.git;a= ... b797e89f07

...or it's possibly because the Estonian translation has outdated string commands in it, and OpenTTD gets looped trying to process what FIRS passes in the callback.

...or it's something else. ;)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I stumbled upon a translation error in FIRS 2, check the attachement. Where in English crates are used for produced goods of a smithy forge it is translated as t (ton) in Dutch. And to be a purist there are a few further improvements possible on the use of plurarity and Dutch grammar.
Attachments
Translation error.png
(270.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Hyronymus wrote:Where in English crates are used for produced goods of a smithy forge it is translated as t (ton) in Dutch.
This is a fairly common mistake, even in the base English language :) I am reworking FIRS industry text to be more useful, and remove the need for manually supplying this cargo text. Should make translations smaller and less work.

Won't be done until April earliest though, depends on a new OpenTTD text formatting feature which is only in nightly build currently. ;)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

No problem, just shout out if you want the Dutch redone.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Just sign up for Dutch translations in the devzone (http://dev.openttdcoop.org/ 3rd point in the list), and start changing things :)
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
RedEclipse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RedEclipse »

Hi, I just wonder is there any limit of petrol stations? It seem to be too much of them everywhere, sometimes it wreck my plans to build something :/ Same question about builders yard. Aren't they supposed to be secondary industries which appears and vanish while playing?

FIRS 2.0.3 version
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

andythenorth wrote:
Hyronymus wrote: Where in English crates are used for produced goods [...]
This is a fairly common mistake [...]
Apropos "crates". IMO, using "crates" instead of the more generic term "tons" (or "tonnes") is a "bad feature", since it restricts users in choosing the most proper vehicle (or a variety of vehicles) for a certain cargo.

E.g. ENSP, FMSP and MNSP all use "crates" as quantity identifier, thus rendering usage of vehicles like flat wagons with agricultural machinery (for FMSP), or silo wagons (for FMSP, MNSP) silly/useless.

In fact, there´s a strong discrepancy between those rather generic labels (in fact, nobody really nows what ENSP, FMSP, or MNSP stand for in the game´s context - it could be everything) and their non-generic quantity identifier, which have no justification. E.g., even FOOD is measured in tons, not in crates, although the latter would be more in line with those other cargoes mentioned.

regards
Michael
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

"Crates" are a bit of an odd duck, but it was a feature from the original Transport Tycoon which has persisted into OpenTTD.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

^
Well, in case Andy wants to stick to "original Transport Tycoon", a simple compromise would be to provide both quantity identifiers for those "crate cargoes", and an additional parameter to be set by the user, which could be read from vehicle sets wishing to provide a broader repertory of car types.

regards
Michael
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

How many crates of supplies is this truck? :twisted:
crates_or_tons.png
crates_or_tons.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 2467 times
Related: FIRS has a vehicles cargo, for which the unit is 'vehicles'. That makes for very odd capacities when refitting capacity (40 tons -> 40 vehicles).

The capacity translation of units like crates has some long-standing inconsistency and confusion around it.

The purest solution would be to use tons for everything. Boring?
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

andythenorth wrote:The purest solution would be to use tons for everything. Boring?
Sure ;)

Still, such glaring inconsistensies do not in themselves make an exciting game. I tend to avoid this entire conceptual quagmire by thinking about "cargo units".
Last edited by leifbk on 01 Apr 2017 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

michael blunck wrote:Apropos "crates". IMO, using "crates" instead of the more generic term "tons" (or "tonnes") is a "bad feature"
I don't get this.
If you ship big metal things like a tractor, CNC machine, motor-bike, or big engine to drive eg a factory belt, by wrapping it in a wooden big box of say 2x3x5m, it's a crate, not 5t of engine, where you can put 3 engines in 2 8t wagons.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

andythenorth wrote: Related: FIRS has a vehicles cargo, for which the unit is 'vehicles'. That makes for very odd capacities when refitting capacity (40 tons -> 40 vehicles).

The capacity translation of units like crates has some long-standing inconsistency and confusion around it.

The purest solution would be to use tons for everything. Boring?
1) cargo refitting is done resp should be done by the vehicle set.
2) I fully agree. It´s from a time when freight cars in TTD had a fixed cargo type (i.e. no refitting).
3) It would be even the best solution, except for some "weird" cargo like passengers. And it would be far from boring since eventually the vehicle sets could handle it properly.

regards
Michael

Return to “Graphics Development”