FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

tinco
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by tinco »

Hi there,

I saw some years back a discussion of making FIRS in the 32bpp graphics, compatible with the zBase baseset. I didn't have time to sift through all the discussion afterwards, so just a quick question - is there a FIRS version, where there are 32bpp graphics please? Or was it scrapped? Thanks
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

tinco wrote: 10 Sep 2020 14:42 Hi there,

I saw some years back a discussion of making FIRS in the 32bpp graphics, compatible with the zBase baseset. I didn't have time to sift through all the discussion afterwards, so just a quick question - is there a FIRS version, where there are 32bpp graphics please? Or was it scrapped? Thanks
A few years ago somebody asked Andy if he would do it. Andy said no but that others could do it. Somebody proposed doing it and never did.
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

andythenorth wrote: 27 Jun 2020 16:21
I use your industry set for years, and I love it the most. But what I definetely don't like is Hotel. Don't you wanna replace it by nicer or totally another version? Maybe with using more types of hotels?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Beach Objects * Shopping Centres * Skyscrapers * Garage Entrances
Modular Warehouses * Trucks & Buses Parking Lots * Bus Depots * Bus Terminals
Road Waypoints * Road Stops * Eyecandy Objects * Building Set

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
tinco
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tinco »

Thanks for clarifying. Pity it wasn't realized...
kamnet wrote: 10 Sep 2020 15:47
tinco wrote: 10 Sep 2020 14:42 Hi there,

A few years ago somebody asked Andy if he would do it. Andy said no but that others could do it. Somebody proposed doing it and never did.
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

The production of scrap metal in steel town (FIRS 4) can be a bit limited. Maybe the metal working industries (wire and section mill, sheet and pipe mill, body plant, etc) could also produce a small amount of scrap metal (off cuts)?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Diesel Power wrote: 23 Sep 2020 08:59 The production of scrap metal in steel town (FIRS 4) can be a bit limited. Maybe the metal working industries (wire and section mill, sheet and pipe mill, body plant, etc) could also produce a small amount of scrap metal (off cuts)?
Grow your towns! :D

Scrap production is tied directly to town population. This was an experiment to see if I could provide a reason to bother growing towns.

Without some kind of cargo-industry benefit, there is no reasonable rationale for growing a town, as they just get in the way of train lines. :twisted:

I'm not sure how well it works though.

I've been considering alternatives. It's one of the reasons FIRS 4 isn't on general release yet :)

I've been wondering about delivering vehicles directly to scrap yards, as an input. As otherwise I never transport vehicles cargo, as there's literally no point. :shock:
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

andythenorth wrote: 23 Sep 2020 13:52 I've been wondering about delivering vehicles directly to scrap yards, as an input. As otherwise I never transport vehicles cargo, as there's literally no point. :shock:
Incentivizing certain cargos seems more like a gamescript application. As much as I favor scrapping the automobile in favor of public transit and walking/biking, I’d feel silly shipping new cars directly to the crusher. ;)

I quite like how production is scaled to the town population. If it’s a problem of player awareness, perhaps the industry window could explain this function?

I’m also happy to add direct house production of cargos to Improved Town Layouts, as I’ve done with Waste in Improved Town Industries. It’s trivial to check for industry sets and produce whatever cargo (Recyclables, Scrap Metal, etc) you or other industry creators would like. I have not done this with FIRS to avoid unbalancing the economy with the existing Recycling Depot, for example.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

andythenorth wrote: 23 Sep 2020 13:52 Without some kind of cargo-industry benefit, there is no reasonable rationale for growing a town (...)
If there were workers living in cities, there would be reasons to develop them. ;)
The problem here is cargodist and the fact that passengers always only travel in one direction (they are never generating the way back, and they should, at least in symmetrical mode)

Another motivator for urban development could be limited consumption - a large city (enterprises assigned to a city) could accept more goods, cars, whatever than a small.
andythenorth wrote: 23 Sep 2020 13:52 I've been wondering about delivering vehicles directly to scrap yards, as an input.
Delivering vehicles from the factory directly to scrap yard would be a bit crazy. :)
I don't know if it is possible, but it could be interesting if the production of scrap metal increases when cars are delivered to the city.
andythenorth wrote: 23 Sep 2020 13:52 As otherwise I never transport vehicles cargo, as there's literally no point. :shock:
If something doesn't make sense, it means they are paying too little. :twisted: I think that the more difficult is goods to reach, the higher the rate for its transport should be.
In another topic, I outlined a proposal for variable transport rates that would depend on the amount of goods already produced and transported. That might be interesting, but it probably isn't even possible by newGRF itself
andythenorth wrote: 23 Sep 2020 13:52 I'm not sure how well it works though. (scrap yard)
Generally speaking, it is very interesting to relate the city size to the enterprises production volume. However, problem is with the oversized production of both scrap yards and previously recycling depots. A few years ago, they were available on the Poland map server, but were permanently removed because players ignored the entire rest of the industry - the only thing that counted was the very (too well) paid transport of passengers and trash, the amount of which was so large that the server quickly became unplayable due to too many trains carrying it.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
yazalo [PL]
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yazalo [PL] »

andythenorth wrote: 27 Jan 2009 07:09 FIRS translations are welcomed.

This is the base language file for translations (for FIRS nml versions):
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/fir ... nglish.lng
Something is probably not right with this link...
(and with links on this page also)
yazalo
OpenTTD Polska | OpenTTD Wiki (PL)
Polish OpenTTD Translator

:!: Unused account, please contact yazalo (not yazalo [PL]) (send private message)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

yazalo [PL] wrote: 26 Oct 2020 15:24 Something is probably not right with this link...
Thanks. I've removed the outdated information from the first post of this thread.

The pages on Openttd Coop bundles can't be changed, so they'll remain wrong I guess. :)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Post by andythenorth »

FIRS 4 alpha 4

Not savegame safe with FIRS 4 Alpha 3

Needs minimum OpenTTD 1.10

Changes since FIRS 4 Alpha 3
  • restored In A Hot Country economy
  • improved sprites for multiple Steeltown industries
  • adjusted Steeltown industry and cargo flow, removing Rebar and Petroleum Fuels, adding Potash as an easy boost cargo for Bulk Terminal (supplied by Potash Mine)
  • adjusted Steeltown industry probability, most secondaries won't be built during gameplay, this moves the focus onto new primary industries opening, whilst secondaries should be player-funded
  • larger layouts for some industries, this makes it easier to build stations around industries that accept/produce many cargos
  • slightly increased production at Fish Farm and Fishing Grounds
  • added BSPI to list of incompatible grfs
  • fix/finish more things :twisted:
Known Issues
  • Fish Farm sprites unfinished in Arctic Basic
  • industries closure parameter not currently working - secondary industries will never close even if they should
  • some newly added industries provide incorrect station names
  • no complete changelog for v4 yet
  • no longer possible to update translations via web translator
It's recommended (but not required) to use Iron Horse 2.7 or newer with Steeltown, as it includes train wagons designed specifically for certain Steeltown cargos.

Download FIRS 4 Alpha 4
firs-4.0.0-alpha-4.tar
(4.96 MiB) Downloaded 222 times

Docs

Online docs now at: https://grf.farm/firs/4.0.0-alpha-4/htm ... arted.html
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

I'm a little confused and I don't know who to write to :D Your sets are so similiar and I thoght there are from one person :)

I saw in Emperor Jake's XIS Industry Set new hotel. A very nice one.
wouldn't you like to replace the original one with the new one in next update?

Winner of the Screenshot of 09/20, 11/20, 02/21, 06/21, 07/21, 05/22 and 06/22.:twisted:
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Both hotel buildings are actually just baseset graphics, except FIRS uses the arctic hotel and XIS uses the temperate hotel (which doesn't have a snowy state)

It was meant to be a temporary solution; I tried making a fancy new hotel sprite years ago but never finished, so I switched the graphics because I was sick of looking at the original one and wanted something a bit bigger. And I'm pretty sure Andy mentioned he'd like to give the hotel new graphics too eventually.
fridaemon
Director
Director

Post by fridaemon »

Emperor Jake wrote: 27 Nov 2020 13:41
Oh, I haven't known about that. I play mostly arctic game, and sometimes temperature. And stil have only this ugly brown hotel. So I'll be waiting for it. Thanks for info :))

andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by andreasaspenberg »

it is an interesting mod but, i would prefer to be able to disable spawning of new industries while still being able to build them myself. after testing it, i noticed that the spawning of industries runs completely amok. new industries is built several times per minute.
Last edited by andreasaspenberg on 22 Dec 2020 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

If talking about industry spawning amok, I'm usually playing with 1 industry/town settings, additionally with limited number of towns.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

i prefer to have multiple industries per town in order to max production of raw materials.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 22 Dec 2020 15:06 i noticed that the spawning of industries runs completely amok. new industries is built several times per minute.
Eh what? Are you using vanilla OpenTTD? :D

The rate of industry spawning is nothing that newgrf can influence...except to prevent it completely. Only OpenTTD can control it. :twisted:
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

i am not able to find a setting for it ingame.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 23 Dec 2020 15:58 i am not able to find a setting for it ingame.
@FLherne suggested this idea:
  • start the game with the industry density setting you prefer
  • after map is generated, go to OpenTTD settings, and change the industry density setting to 'funding only'
That should prevent industries opening during gameplay.

Return to “Graphics Development”