FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by andythenorth »

FIRS 3.0.0-beta-1 released, now on Bananas or http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/releases/

Not compatible with any previous FIRS release. :)

-- Changes --
  • improved Basic Oxygen Furnace appearance
  • improved Electric Arc Furnace appearance
  • wrong colour ore in small train at Pyrite Mine
  • set TOWNGROWTH_WATER for Vehicles (for tropic Steeltown games)
  • correct icons for Acid, Chlorine, Electrical Machines, Limestone, Metal, Salt and cargos
  • translations
Nfsjunkie91
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nfsjunkie91 »

Hey Andy, I just picked up the newest beta through the in-game content download service and when I start a new game with only FIRS enabled, no industries spawn at all. I was just furiously googling trying to see if anyone else had this issue, and then I realized this version was just released this morning! I tried enabling some different train sets but they didn't make a difference.

This is a 2-day old install of OpenTTD 1.7.1 and FIRS is the only NewGRF I have enabled, the NewGRF parameters are untouched. Any thoughts?
Attachments
FIRS no work.png
FIRS no work.png (27.09 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I created a DevZone account, but i can't access the French translation - though there's things that are wrong...
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

acs121 wrote:I created a DevZone account, but i can't access the French translation - though there's things that are wrong...
I've added you as a French translator for all newgrf projects. Let me know if you still can't get in. :)
Nfsjunkie91
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nfsjunkie91 »

andythenorth wrote:3.0.0 beta 1 has a wrong filesize so is probably broken.

I've uploaded a new 3.0.0 beta 2 which works for me. ;)
Great success! The beta 2 works. Thanks.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

acs121 wrote:I created a DevZone account, but i can't access the French translation - though there's things that are wrong...
I translated a lot of strings for FIRS, so I should probably take the blame. What do you say we work on this together? PM me if you're interested.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

OK, i will continue this in PM.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

andythenorth wrote:
I've added you as a French translator for all newgrf projects. Let me know if you still can't get in. :)
Thanks. Now it works.
stevef
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stevef »

Hi all,

sorry for writting such a question :(

I was looking for some NewGrf which are compatible with the Firs 3.0 beta but I found only one for the road but none for trains. Can you maybe help with a list of recommended newgrf for Firs 3.0

thx
steve
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

stevef wrote:I was looking for some NewGrf which are compatible with the Firs 3.0 beta but I found only one for the road but none for trains
Everyone probably has their favourites, but here's what I use:
  • Road Hog (road vehicles) - new 1.3.0 has enhanced support for FIRS 3
  • Iron Horse (trains) + Termite (tracks)
  • NARS 2 (trains)
  • AV8 or AV9 (planes)
  • CHIPS (stations)
I use my own unreleased ships newgrf, but Squid is also FIRS 3 compatible. :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

eGRTVS, 2cc Trains in NML and 2cc Trams (by enabling the parameter to be able to refit trams to all cargoes) are also compatible.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

stevef wrote: I was looking for some NewGrf which are compatible with the Firs 3.0 beta but I found only one for the road but none for trains. Can you maybe help with a list of recommended newgrf for Firs 3.0
  • Road: Polish sets (polroad and poltram)
  • Trains: SBB Set (though not fully compatible with Steeltown), and the PKP 2 Set
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

FIRS 3.0.0-beta-4 now on Bananas or http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/releases/

(beta 3 was released but not added to bananas, as some translations were updated immediately after I tagged it)

Probably last beta before final release, get your translations / bug reports in :)

-- Changes --

- add Improved Oil Rig Layout to list of incompatible grfs
- fixed bad smoke at Basic Oxygen Furnace
- dredging site offsets wrong, obscurring wave animation; also move buoy position
- docs improved
- multiple translations
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Hi :)

Just got a new idea : a friend of mine amused himself creating a company transporting things you should not eat or drink (slag, acid, chlorine...) and he gave me the idea : a "pool" industry. It would be built in towns, and accept passengers, water and chlorine. The industry would be cheap to build, like the petrol station or grocery store.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

andythenorth wrote: What do you like about it?
Complex economy not focused on one exact theme.
andythenorth wrote: What don't you like about it?
1. Some too much general cargoes, for example chemicals, farm supplies.
2. Clay.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I really like that the Extreme economy is very adaptable to different scenarios. I usually play with Extreme, but don't use all industries it provides in all games. I really like that all industries are available, but not indispensable. So everything works even though not all industries are used.

Also I really like generalised cargo! IHMO the Extreme economy should be complex in terms of industries, but not too complex nor too simplistic with cargo. I prefer cargo which serve relatively many purposes, i.e. farm supplies / engineering supplies.
Therefore I'm really fond of the newly added packaging cargo :)

Things I don't really like, or didn't use that much are building materials and their corresponding industries. But I didn't play that much with FIRS 3.0 yet, so it might turn out rather well by now. Still, I can't put much sense into the hardware store industry, as there's already the builders yard.

About clay, why not a pottery industry? :lol: (produces goods, packaging)

Btw, what I'd really like to see in FIRS, too, is tourism!
Though, that might serve a purpose for an own economy :lol:
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

andythenorth wrote:What do you like about it?
Industries and farms all over the place, which you can serve or ignore largely at your discretion, and which provide nice scenery on the map. The Basic economies tend to leave the map feeling kind of empty, and are a bit too simple to hold my interest. I miss the sprawling farm fields in the interstitial spaces, and little plantations look odd when either next to a city or in a far remote area. The temperate basic especially feels odd with supposedly British-ish maps becoming primordial forests with isolated pig and apple outposts. Unless you set required amounts to an in-fun high level, it is also a bit too straight forward to supply chains so that they reach a very high output within a year or so.
andythenorth wrote:What don't you like about it?
Bauxite and Chemicals coming from the same port industry feels boring, though I end up using this to bootstrap most extreme games I play. There are certain industries, like fertilizer plant and furniture factory, that I have almost never been motivated to serve in years of playing FIRS. Extreme really needs good GS integration to give a feeling of meaning to many industries (ie to make final products like building supplies or even goods feel more valuable rather than just focusing all efforts on getting more farm and engineering supplies). The redundancy that lets you disregard certain industries is generally good, but it does feel sometimes like it may be a bit too strong. So many of the more 'ignorable' branches of the chain seem to have the nicest drawn industries, so it's a shame to leave them fallow. I've been experimenting with the act locally, think globally GS, to provide more of a push to provide comprehensive service.

I'm still unsure if the deterministic supply behavior really does extreme justice either, though the original mechanism did feel a bit too mean at times.

Return to “Graphics Development”