FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by andythenorth »

McZapkie wrote:My newgrf brings back powerplants, utilising standard openttd tiles, but now it went into 'terror mode' and ask for explosives instead of coal.
Exploding power plants are a feature :)

It's this issue viewtopic.php?p=1166863#p1166863
Also viewtopic.php?p=1166828#p1166828

I'm planning to add a check to disable FIRS if Preindustrial Houses is used.

We could figure out if there's a way to solve it, but I can't think of one. The starting point is to implement own tiles for the power plant, not using the TTD tiles. That's easy. But what to do if there's no coal cargo in the economy? More challenging :)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

No need to disable FIRS, there are option in Preindustrial Era Houses both to disable powerplants (by setting intro year to 0) or to disable coal delivery to houses.
I was wondering, if there is possible to fix coal id in FIRS, as it is done for food, pass, mail, but if is an issue due to lack of coal in other economy settings, forget it.
I will try to change tiles in my grf.

BTW, SteelTown is very impressive, but it should be named StalinTown - this economy eats own tail, like communistic one. I mean, "produce more steel to produce more steel", there is no benefits for consumers.
May I suggest add wood vector and factory, which produce goods from wood and steel?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

McZapkie wrote:if is an issue due to lack of coal in other economy settings, forget it.
Yes, that is the problem :)
I will try to change tiles in my grf.
BTW, SteelTown is very impressive, but it should be named StalinTown - this economy eats own tail, like communistic one. I mean, "produce more steel to produce more steel", there is no benefits for consumers.
You, V453000, and a 7 year old have all now spotted this problem. :) As soon as all of steel chain is connected, game fun is basically over :twisted:
Suggestions so far:
- more consumers for steel, maybe steel -> goods chain
- deliver vehicles to town?
- don't deliver vehicles to supply yard? (can deliver cement instead, is no problem), breaks 1 part of the steel->more steel loop
- other ideas?

The goal is to focus on the steel chain, so I don't want a full economy, but the gameplay comes to an abrupt end now. Connect the chain, gung-ho everything, FIN. :P
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I'd agree with the vehicles to consumers logic - was more or less how a capitalist layman would have understood the western and east Asian economies from 1900-2000 (a strong economy is one that produces millions of cars, and where every family buys a new car, then two new cars, etc...). Steeltown to me seems like a good fit for early to mid 20th century northern US, as well as maybe 60s-70s Japan or even western Europe...
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

andythenorth wrote: - more consumers for steel, maybe steel -> goods chain
- deliver vehicles to town?
1. obligatory, goods are usually the only cargo needed for town growth (if no game script is active)
2. obviously, BTW I'm using my ECSext newgrf for such purpose (workshop, car dealer and petrol station nicely close some FIRS SteelTown chains)

PS. slag grinding facility should also accept limestone or quicklime - both cement and fertilisers need such ingredients.
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

FIRS 3 Alpha 10 released ;) . Now on Bananas.

Not savegame compatible with previous FIRS versions.

- updated translations, thanks translators :)
- remove 'express' cargo class from Vehicle Parts cargo
- swap Metal cargo to Steel in Temperate Basic (functions same, name changed)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Did you fixed this slag grinding glitch?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:FIRS 3 Alpha 10 released ;) . Now on Bananas.

Not savegame compatible with previous FIRS versions.

- updated translations, thanks translators :)
- remove 'express' cargo class from Vehicle Parts cargo
- swap Metal cargo to Steel in Temperate Basic (functions same, name changed)
Drunk thought - What if you changed metal to vibranium (like whats used in Capt Americas shield) :P
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

andythenorth wrote:
McZapkie wrote:Did you fixed this slag grinding glitch?
What's the glitch? :)
White strips and texture mess when build on snow, see ticket on openttd dev.
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

Hi!
I was wondering if you needed a french translator, I think I could help if so, sorry if it already got mentionned, didnt have the time to read through the 200 pages of messages :D

Thanks!
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Nondidjos wrote:Hi!
I was wondering if you needed a french translator, I think I could help if so, sorry if it already got mentionned, didnt have the time to read through the 200 pages of messages :D

Thanks!
The state of translations and translators is not usually registered in this thread. You can see the status of translations here. Obviously, the French translation is lagging a bit behind. It's rather common to have several translators per language, so if you feel up to the task, by all means register :)

On the top bar of the project overview page, you should see the "Register" button. Press it, fill in your data, and wait for a confirmation.
Nondidjos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nondidjos »

leifbk wrote:
Nondidjos wrote:Hi!

Thanks!
The state of translations and translators is not usually registered in this thread. You can see the status of translations here. Obviously, the French translation is lagging a bit behind. It's rather common to have several translators per language, so if you feel up to the task, by all means register :)

On the top bar of the project overview page, you should see the "Register" button. Press it, fill in your data, and wait for a confirmation.
Thanks!
I sprite sometimes, currently working on the BTS (Belgian Train Set) and a World War GRF (kinda).

Discord; 'nondidjos#8585
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I don't understand, what for is METL introduced, instead of STEL renamed to metal, as it was used previously.
Almost every vehicle set need now to mess with "new" cargo.

EDIT: shouldn't chlorine have CC_HAZARDOUS class? I propose also to add such class also to chemicals. It would be helpful to distinguish between different tank cars/vehicles.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

McZapkie wrote:I don't understand, what for is METL introduced, instead of STEL renamed to metal, as it was used previously.
Almost every vehicle set need now to mess with "new" cargo.
Steel is steel, metal is metal. The compile can't have two cargos with same label, it's just the way the implementation works. :)

The 'cargo reuses existing label with different name' idea seemed good around 2008, but turns out to be bad, it's nice to eliminate it. :twisted:

Vehicle sets will keep up :)
EDIT: shouldn't chlorine have CC_HAZARDOUS class? I propose also to add such class also to chemicals. It would be helpful to distinguish between different tank cars/vehicles.
I'll add that now. It's on the acid cargo already. Out of interest, how is it used by the vehicles? :)
Last edited by andythenorth on 10 Nov 2017 16:12, edited 3 times in total.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

andythenorth wrote:
McZapkie wrote:My newgrf brings back powerplants, utilising standard openttd tiles, but now it went into 'terror mode' and ask for explosives instead of coal.
Exploding power plants are a feature :)
My plants gone green instead... any ideas 8)

Edit: Oh I found something. Nvm me now...
Edit2: picture three. Trading post has some diagonal lines and they are blinking red.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (14.33 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (20.89 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (41.82 KiB) Viewed 3642 times
TadeuszD
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TadeuszD »

andythenorth wrote:Steel is steel, metal is metal. [...]
Vehicle sets will keep up :)
Soory, but I don't understand your arguments. IIRC, the steel (STEL) worked properly in earlier FIRS version (I tested on 2.1.5). Am I right? Almost all vehicle sets have programmed cargo STEL. Now you break compatibility... Why? Because of compiler warning?

Fortunatelly, I can update my vehicle set. But it will be stupid work. I should map back METL to STEEL to correct your mess... :(
Many sets will not be updated at all....
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

Hmm, interesting. We are trying to add all cargos at our vehicles sets. In this case aour sets will be still compatible without any changes. I'm only afraid the moment when we will start to redrawing FIRS into 32bpp extrazoom. Because I saw that graphics in FIRS has some changes during its develop so it will be quite hard to make it. If I redraw version XXX and second verison wlll have another/new sprites. So another classic "no HD" sprites will appear in the game in finnished industries. But yes...final result will be great and still better than play with basic industries :)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

TadeuszD wrote:Now you break compatibility...
FIRS breaks compatibility often. I don't mind breaking vehicle sets. :)
stefino_cz wrote:I'm only afraid the moment when we will start to redrawing FIRS into 32bpp extrazoom.
I think it's very unlikely anyone will ever achieve that :)
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

I think it's very unlikely anyone will ever achieve that :)
What do you thing that is unlikely? That someone will add extrazoom into your set?

Return to “Graphics Development”