FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Haldir
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by Haldir »

Hello Piratescooby, thanks for your help. :) Now I understand and it works very well!!

Best regards

Haldir
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

I'm using FIRS 3.0.10 version 6029.
I'm using EXTREME for a rather intricate scenario that involves precisely coordinated placement of industries.
There is a parameter:
Prevent industries opening during gameplay:On
This is good.
The issue is in the scenario editor where one would think that preventing industries from opening would be the default. It's not. Every now and then I have to go through the scenario and clear out some randomly appearing industries. Is there a setting somewhat akin to the gameplay parameter?
Could this be related to FIXES - FIRS fixes and extensions?

Never mind! Due to a severe lack of early morning caffeine availability, clumsy keyboarding led to an occasional clicking upon the build button while Many random industries was highlighted in a colour that was easily masked by the blur in my eyes. The tears of frustration were of no help either. :roll:
jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jimbob »

Hi, I've cloned your repo and believe I've installed all the dependancies I need however the

Code: Select all

makefile
is not completing:

Alex@ED-LAPTOP MINGW64 ~/Documents/firs
$ make
make: *** No rule to make target `"src\\cargo.py"', needed by `src/graphics'.  Stop.
Any ideas where it could be going wrong? I've had to renaming the shebang python3 to python for it to be able to find python on windows

EDIT: following adding in python27, my python3 is now called as such. I've also correctly added graphviz to the enviroment which has stopped those which errors.
I'm still finding the make file is turning src\cargo.py into a target? given this is the source this shouldn't need to be built?

EDIT2: I got to the root of the problem whatever escaping

escape_name
was doing in find files was too much for make to recongise, supressing all escape replacements meant it worked :)

EDIT3: I've been able to make a custom economy and it works in game, however the documents aren't generating the graphs and currently the GRF is overiding FIRS3. I can't seem to see where the GRF id and descriptions are set?
Real life transport planner
My projects:Link to my UK Scenario|Scenario Builder GS
Do check out my 3D unity transport game: transporter
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

about edit 1: Linux systems still default to python 2 with "python", hence "python3" as name for the program. You could perhaps rename or copy your python.exe executable to "python3.exe", at least I expect that to work.

about edit 2: Likely it assumes a particular shell, and you use a different one.

about edit 3: I would expect it to be hard-coded in a grf template somewhere. Simplest way to find it is perhaps open a language file, look for the name of the string with the description also shown in the newgrf window, and then find the file that uses that string name.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jimbob »

Alberth wrote:about edit 1: Linux systems still default to python 2 with "python", hence "python3" as name for the program. You could perhaps rename or copy your python.exe executable to "python3.exe", at least I expect that to work.

about edit 2: Likely it assumes a particular shell, and you use a different one.

about edit 3: I would expect it to be hard-coded in a grf template somewhere. Simplest way to find it is perhaps open a language file, look for the name of the string with the description also shown in the newgrf window, and then find the file that uses that string name.

Oh right, I thought bash was the standard shell. Still pretty new to this whole business, still with 18 months working has a developer had enough tools and tricks to get it working. Shame it was as simple as clone && make we'd probably have a few more grf developers. I've been playing OTTD for years and GRF editing had always been too daunting up till now, even now I wasn't sure if wasting a whole day on getting the make file working was worth it. Still I've had success on one of the other GRF repos which all seem to use a similar set of tools.

Thanks for the tip was able to track down the GRFID and descriptions to a .pmnl file
Real life transport planner
My projects:Link to my UK Scenario|Scenario Builder GS
Do check out my 3D unity transport game: transporter
shugo1110
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shugo1110 »

Hello,

i'm new to Firs and started a new game with this extension. But i can't find a train that can transport scrap metal. Is this a bug or do i need a additional extension for new trains etc?

I'm using version 3.0.11
Attachments
Screenshot_20181103_090109.png
Screenshot_20181103_090109.png (54.28 KiB) Viewed 8798 times
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

You need additional trains. I'm pretty sure there's a trainset which is just the base trains but with extra cargoes.
shugo1110
Engineer
Engineer

Post by shugo1110 »

Gwyd wrote:You need additional trains. I'm pretty sure there's a trainset which is just the base trains but with extra cargoes.
Ah ok, thank you :D
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

You'll need to add on a train set quite a few out there , Iron Horse is good as is new Kid on the rails Czech Total Replacement viewtopic.php?t=76558 .
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

shugo1110 wrote:Hello,

i'm new to Firs and started a new game with this extension. But i can't find a train that can transport scrap metal. Is this a bug or do i need a additional extension for new trains etc?

I'm using version 3.0.11
IF you want to use the default trains, OpenGFX trains (GRF) lets you have climate specific trains with new cargo support (Or with parameters you can have all the trains from all climates)

If you want sometime else, theres tons of train sets out there that support NewCargos from FIRS like NARS 2.51 (+ my NARS Add-on Set 2cc), 2cc Trains, UKRS, xUSSR (russian trains), etc.

Dont forget to get road vehicles, ships, and planes too as the default trucks, trams, ships and planes dont support NewCargos.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kamnet

Placement of FIRS ports and bulk terminals.

Post by kamnet »

I'm adding this image to use in a Reddit discussion on how to place FIRS ports and bulk terminals. The yellow square shows where your cursor needs to be in order to build the appropriate industry in the correct orientation.
Attachments
firsports.png
firsports.png (641.55 KiB) Viewed 8454 times
firsbulk.png
firsbulk.png (670.77 KiB) Viewed 8438 times
kokosgt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kokosgt »

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask. Are there any plans for FIRS in 32bbp/extra zoom/3D?
If so, please point me to the right address, I would like to help create assets.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kokosgt wrote:I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask. Are there any plans for FIRS in 32bbp/extra zoom/3D?
If so, please point me to the right address, I would like to help create assets.
To my knowledge: there are not. However, there is no-one who would stop you doing so, and even publishing the results. Personally I'd like that (though FIRS is a very volatile target).
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

planetmaker wrote:
kokosgt wrote:I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask. Are there any plans for FIRS in 32bbp/extra zoom/3D?
To my knowledge: there are not. However, there is no-one who would stop you doing so, and even publishing the results. Personally I'd like that (though FIRS is a very volatile target).

The authors of the CZTR wrote somewhere that they wanted to work on a 32-bit version, but eventually they would make their own FIRS-like economy.
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

Why can we fish and exploit sand only at sea, but it is not possible on a lake or a river? That's probably a mistake, is not it? Why is it dependent on altitude?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I've never seen any industry in any set on a river (is it even possible?) I have seen FIRS build fishing grounds and sand dredges in lakes though.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

They need to be placed manually.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I've had them spawn in lakes upon game creation. It entirely depends on the terrain.
agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by agentw4b »

kamnet wrote:I've had them spawn in lakes upon game creation. It entirely depends on the terrain.
I expressed myself in a wrong way. Some water-dependent industry does not work on a map that has no sea and has a higher altitude.
They just can not be created, which complicates the game.

Those lakes must have a zero altitude.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

As far as I can tell, you can build dredging sites at any altitude:

Dredging Height 16.PNG
Dredging Height 16.PNG (151.66 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
I've only had luck building fishing grounds at level 1 or 0:
Fishing Height 1.PNG
Fishing Height 1.PNG (118.27 KiB) Viewed 1629 times

Port-type industries seem to need real coast tiles, so cannot be built on a lake made of river tiles with slope edges even at height 0.
This may well be an intentional choice - there is probably some sand or gravel to dredge out of even high mountain lakes (easier than in the open ocean at least), but maybe not industrial quantities of trout etc to fish with trawlers. The only really economically significant/large scale freshwater lake fishing that I am aware of (Tonle Sap, Great lakes) are fairly analogous to lakes at height 1 at TT scale. Ports intend to simulate the delivery of non-local material by large ships from beyond the map, so it makes sense for them to be on the ocean.

Other notes:
The docking bouys will show up as 'oil rig' with the query tool - the industry tiles report the correct name.

Return to “Graphics Development”