The MBTA Rapid Transit Set.... Beta-testers needed

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Do you want to see the Commuter Rail trains in this set?

Yes
79%
No
7%
What's commuter rail?
14%

Total votes: 28

lws1984
President
President

The MBTA Rapid Transit Set.... Beta-testers needed

Post by lws1984 »

This is a set whose idea came partly from SAC's new Metro system in development. I drew a train for it, then decided to draw some more and make it into a proper set. I am working on the rapid transit (subway) cars from Boston's Massachusets Bay Transit Athourity (the MBTA, or just the T). So far, I have the Red Line 01800's and the Blue Line 0600's. One thing I need is a coder. I tried to code this, but all the diffrent kinds of Actions have my head swimming. I will have all the specs soon. Here are the graphics. What do you all think?

EDIT: There is a homepage at my blog, and the sprites will be uploaded to there, along with some stats, by this evening. Also, I have GRFMaker now, and will be experimenting with coding soon.

2nd EDIT: Due to the recent advent of the Age of Articulated Trams, all work has halted in order to create some Green Line trolleys. In order to allow for flexiblity (and for compatiblity with the US Set), there will actually be two of each trolley. There will be a version in the main GRF that runs on the electric rails, and a version in a seprate seperate GRF-file for tram tracks, which may or may not contain some MBTA busses. You didn't hear that from me, either. :D

3rd EDIT: CharlieMTA has graciously allowed his trolleys to be used, so now I just have to do the train versions. Thanks Charlie!

Also, krtaylor asked if I wanted to inculde the commuter rail. I wasn't sure if people wanted it, so I will make that a poll.

Also, coding is going realitively well, may have something for you by the end of the month.

4th EDIT: Well, they're not articulated, but the trams are ready. I would like to have a betatester or two. The trains are still being worked on, I'm trying to improve the graphics.

5TH EDIT: It's here, with crappy graphics! The Public Beta 0.1 of the trains and trams is ready. The trains are crappy graphics from me, which are being worked on. The trams are non-crappy, and were drawn by CharlieMTA. Public Beta 0.2 should have the Green Line stuff on the train tracks, and better graphics. Also, in semi-related news, I'm working on some station graphics. But you didn't hear that here, a birdie told you. ;)

6th Edit: Working on site, shall be up soon.

Incompatibilites: Does not work with German or Serbian trams. May cause minor incompatibilites with USSet that do not affect gameplay. Other sets not tested, please report.

NOTE: The trains GRF is called Red01800w.grf because that's the original name and I was too lazy to rename it.

Have fun, and post any bugs here.
Attachments
MBTAw.zip.zip
MBTA Set - Trains and Trams Public Beta 0.1
(10.53 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Last edited by lws1984 on 19 Jul 2006 14:34, edited 6 times in total.
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The MBTA Rapid Transit Set.... 5% Done-ish

Post by SAC »

lws1984 wrote:One thing I need is a coder. I tried to code this, but all the diffrent kinds of Actions have my head swimming.
:mrgreen: Tell me about it!

Lakie once tried to guide me into the world of coding, but my oh my...all these actions. Now, it would be a good thing to have an automated tool for more simple graphics like some buildings, roads and stuff that doesn't need a lot of actions implemented :P Still, vehicles DO need a bit more attention, hence the head on the loose!

Anyways, great graphics you have there! :D
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Yay, revisons!

Just one actually, rear car of 01800's done, now it's properly two-car-ed like it should be.

If someone wants to code, I will give them, free of charge: Your name on the website whenever it goes up!
Attachments
red08100.png
red08100.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 7869 times

-Douglas Adams
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Looks great! :P
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Working on the Hawker-Siddely Orange Line cars, not too hard, just re-color them orange, remove the pantos, and add a pixel in length (I removed one on the Blue cars as they are shorter to tackle the sharp curves in the inner-city Blue tunnels, the Blue line was orignally a underground trolley line like the Green line, one of the reasons why most of the platforms only accomodate 4-car trains.)

Think I'll ask Owen for webspace, I've got a pretty good design started.

-Douglas Adams
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

It'll be interesting to see how this goes. I'd like to see the Green Line trolleys still in the main US Set as trams, but they'd logically fit here too.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Yes, actually, I'm working on the Boeing-Vertol LRV's right now, pre-refurb. They logically fit into both the road/tram system and this, simply because they serve both purposes, and really will fit in either way, as they run as a tram on Huntington Ave and run down the median of the street to Cleveland Circle and Boston College, which I consider close enough to a tram. They also run as a train-ish thing on the Higland Branch (D line) and in the subway and (former) North Station elevated. So really, they would work both ways. I always saw them as being more train-ish, despite all the street-running they do and those crazy steps they have. I always thought that the T should make the subway stations high-level and have those rising stairs they have in San Fransisco, even though it means going from the bi-fold doors back to sliding doors (which Boston has had a very bad experience with, on the aformentioned LRV's).

The ones in the USSet look great, by the way. Can't wait to see them!

Also, here's the Orange Line trains. Let me know what you think!

Whew, what a post.
Attachments
Orange Line cars
Orange Line cars
orangehawkersiddely.png (2.11 KiB) Viewed 7703 times

-Douglas Adams
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The Orange Line cars are a good start. I think you can give the roofs more definition through artful randomization of pixels, though.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Good point, I ought to do that on all of them.

-Douglas Adams
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If you're in the mood for MBTA transit, it would be nice to have the last few items of heavy-rail stuff finished for the US set as well.
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

/bump/

See first post for more information.

-Douglas Adams
CharlieMTA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CharlieMTA »

I drew these for the USset if you want them. I also drew sprites Mattapan-Ashmont PCCs in BERy era livery which are on the development page of the USset.
Attachments
KinkiSharyoType7_Boston_MBTA.png
KinkiSharyoType7_Boston_MBTA.png (14.76 KiB) Viewed 7170 times
BoeingLRV_Boston_MBTA.png
BoeingLRV_Boston_MBTA.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 7170 times
PCC_Boston_MBTA_Greenline.png
PCC_Boston_MBTA_Greenline.png (5.16 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Wait, wait, articulated trams are working now?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Someone needs to read the General TTDPatch forum more carefully.

(They may be working. Your help is required to determine whether or not they actually are working.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

That is great news! This means we can start developing trams with more then one car. I would love to see those trams running in mayn cities! Drawers get your pencils ready!
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Might be working, not working, I guess you're right, I should read more carefully. Well, I guess I'll have to pry my hands off the trackball and move back over to TTD and try things out.

-Douglas Adams
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Charlie, didn't see that, thanks! I intend for this to be a complete representation of transit in Boston, so those will help tremendously. Do you have the Bredas done?

I might incorparate that into the RV set, possibl with a paramter to disable them if the USSet is present.

Thanks again, it's nice to have somebody besides me contributing!

-Douglas Adams
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I was kind of hoping to have the Boston trams in the US Set itself, along with the various other trams for the different climates. Maybe they could be in both the US Set and your MBTA set? Did you want the MBTA commuter rail in your set as well? We've got those all drawn for the US Set.
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

No, I was intending to keep it just rapid transit, unless people want the commuter rail stuff, I think I'll make that a poll.

About the trams, I don't see why we couldn't have both, with a paramter in either one to disable the trams if one or the other is present. That also may be neccesary for the commuter rail if people want it. That reminds me, I need to work on the MBTA bi-levels some more, the diagonals look funky.

-Douglas Adams
CharlieMTA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CharlieMTA »

I have had the Type 8s in progress for awhile now. The thing I don't know about though is how to draw the fact that they have 2 articulated joints around a central truck and have it be workable in TTD scale without looking odd. The Type 7 might get a little updated on the roof as well, the detail isn't quite perfect, but that might be nitpicky for the scale involved.

Return to “Graphics Development”