Long vehicles v5. Planning

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Select code

Poll ended at 24 Jan 2009 17:51

2 parts
8%
1 part
17%
Combined (1+2)
58%
Front part code
13%
Other
4%

Total votes: 24

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Long vehicles v5. Planning

Post by George »

Kogut wrote:
George wrote:
Kogut wrote:Is it possible to
- make long vehicles combatibile with HEQS?
What compatibility do you expect?
Kogut wrote:- make vehicles smaller? Like in german road vehicle set. Now there are too big, especially on corners.
I do not plan to do it. But you are free to get your personal permission to redo the set and make RVs smaller. DanMacK already did it for NA buses. You can do the same with all the vehicles of the set. If necessary, you'll get my advise, but I shall never do it myself.
- now LV4 changes purchase cost of HEQS vehicles (from 3k to 50k)
I can't do anything with that. Only HEQS devs or OTTD devs can.
Kogut wrote:- i thought about smaller, but long vehicles - vehicles without problems on bridges, corners, slopes, tunnels and queues.
As I wrote - you can do it. But I should not do it.
Image Image Image Image
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

George wrote:I do not plan to do it. But you are free to get your personal permission to redo the set and make RVs smaller. DanMacK already did it for NA buses. You can do the same with all the vehicles of the set. If necessary, you'll get my advise, but I shall never do it myself.
So, if someone (maybe me) draw the vehicle sprites smaller You will code it?
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

No, you would have to code it as well. Like George said, it isn't his responsibility to cater for everyone's pedantic needs.
Hmm, what should I put here...
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

colossal404 wrote:
George wrote:I do not plan to do it. But you are free to get your personal permission to redo the set and make RVs smaller. DanMacK already did it for NA buses. You can do the same with all the vehicles of the set. If necessary, you'll get my advise, but I shall never do it myself.
So, if someone (maybe me) draw the vehicle sprites smaller You will code it?
Yes. Also, this someone can not completely draw new sprites, but carefully resize existing ones. I suppose make them 75% or 50% of the LV size. But do not expect it to be the easy task. It would take about 25% of time as making new ones (imho).
mrMann wrote:No, you would have to code it as well. Like George said, it isn't his responsibility to cater for everyone's pedantic needs.
Coding is a simple thing if you have the graphics you want to code :roll:

P.S. If you would decide to redraw it - let me know. I'll send you my PSD files, it would be easier to use them than to use resulting PCX.
Image Image Image Image
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

I try myself on some Volvos, if this is good enough I can draw the others from the original draws, but it's still not fits the TTD scale.
I cut the image from the .pcx file, so there are some colour mistakes.
Attachments
example.png
example.png (16.14 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

colossal404 wrote:I try myself on some Volvos, if this is good enough I can draw the others from the original draws, but it's still not fits the TTD scale.
This is not that I intended. I supposed them to be drawn SMALLER, not shorter. Shorter views I already did in LV5. I supposed someone to make them 75% smaller in ALL directions. Length, width, height.
Image Image Image Image
Lord_of_Horror
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lord_of_Horror »

when relise? :?: :roll: :shock:
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Read the entire thread before coming out with stupid comments like that. :roll:
Hmm, what should I put here...
Lord_of_Horror
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lord_of_Horror »

i was read all thread and i have a questions

when relise?
how long to wait? how many months or yaers :( ?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

When George decides, and not before. Find some patience.

And a dictionary.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

colossal404 wrote:I try myself on some Volvos, if this is good enough I can draw the others from the original draws, but it's still not fits the TTD scale.
Those are nice vehicles!
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

planetmaker wrote:
Those are nice vehicles!
I agree, especially the first one!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Kogut wrote:now LV4 changes purchase cost of HEQS vehicles (from 3k to 50k)
George wrote:I can't do anything with that. Only HEQS devs or OTTD devs can.
Kogut: If LV changes base costs, HEQS costs will change. The only things I can do about it are
(1) make HEQS disable itself if it detects LV in the grf list
(2) make HEQs try and set base costs. But then LV costs will be broken (and so will other RV sets)
(3) make HEQS detect LV, and reset all the HEQS costs, or do it with a parameter. That's a *big* job. I'm not doing it. :)

Sorry! This a problem whenever a grf changes costs. I would say it was rude for a grf author to do that, except I've done exactly the same thing to base costs for ships with the FISH grf.

I can think of only one good solution: change HEQS yourself. It's GPL so you're allowed as long as you comply with GPL. It needs a bit of coding knowledge, but really not very much.

HEQS vehicles are way too cheap anyway :)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

George wrote:After a lot of doubts I've decided to return to LV4's schema for vehicles. At least trucks. They would be represented as a single sprite. Whose trucks, who do not fit 8/8 template, would be represented as a two part vehicle, where the front part would be transparent part. I understand that it would keep tunnels, bridges and slope problems, but I do not see any solution nor any devs plan to provide some new code to provide something better. The view of bending RV makes me sick :cry:
I made a number of tests to make the code that would prevent bending of RVs and at the same time to fit in default bounding boxes. I had to use 8 time more sprites for a cabin ... And I would like to say, that I've failed again. You can see the attached file.
1) Tunnels problem - solved (the heigh problem can't be fixed in general, only by special tunnels graphics)
2) Bridge problem - solved
3) Slope problem - solved
4) Hills problem - accepted (will not be solved) (also solves the jump problem)
5) Sprites problem - 8-x sprites for a cabin for only drive side
6) New problems - sprite sorter problem
sorter.png
sorter.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
So, I would like to ask devs to provide completely new feature for vehicles code. I would like to ask to provide the support for houses/industry tiles sprites usage possibility for vehicles.

Code: Select all

Since 2.0.1 alpha 55 vcs 3, houses and industry tiles support an extended syntax as well, which looks as follows:
<Sprite-number> * <Length> 02 07/09 <set-id> <num-sprites> <groundsprite> [<buildingsprite> (<xoffset> <yoffset> <zoffset> <xextent> <yextent> <zextent>) | (<xpixeloffset> <ypixeloffset> 80)]...
Such definition allows to draw a sprite over a sprite

-- for sprites sharing their bounding box with the previous sprite
xpixeloffset	B	x offset from the top left corner of the previous sprite
ypixeloffset	B	y offset from the top left corner of the previous sprite
80	B	a literal 80h byte to distinguish from new-bounding-box definitions

For vehicles, the data looks as follows:
<Sprite-number> * <Length> 02 <veh-type> <cargo-id> <num-loadtypes> <num-loadingtypes> <loadtypes...>
where

loadtypes
The sprite sets to use for the states of load. Each entry is a WORD value in little endian format, and refers to the most recent action 1 sets. For example, action 1 sets 4, 5 and 7 would be encoded as 04 00, 05 00 and 07 00, respectively. Note the additional 00 which is needed because it must be a word value here.
The first entries of these are used when not loading. There have to be num-loadtypes of these. After this follow the sets to use while loading/unloading, and there must be num-loadingtype of those.
I would like to use use sprites, defined like house tile sprites, instead of sprite sets for vehicles for load types. I do not see any other way to prevent vehicles from bending without providing any other annoying glitches.
Attachments
test4w.grf
(24.57 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Image Image Image Image
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

P.S.
Or, as alternative solution - to make new vehicle movement code, that would allow the cabin part to move on the other route than the rear part, making the BBs located such a way, that a vehicle in general does not bend
Image Image Image Image
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Man, i can wait to try out this set, though from the looks of it, its gunna be awhile. *sits*
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Sensation Lover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sensation Lover »

that test grf its a a damn good vehicle that represents a revolution in the TTD history.

Very good job!
I was in:
Austria,Belgium,Brazil,China,France,Germany,Hungary,Indonesia,Italy,Luxemburg,Malaysia,Mexico,Netherlands,Norway,Panamà,Poland,Romania,
Saudi Arabia,Singapore,Slovenia,Spain,Switzerland,Thailand,U.K.,Ukraine,U.S.A.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Hmm, something nice that needs to be patched\fixed in openttd, the terminal stops for road vehicles, I think its lame that they go in like this

====|
..|"""
...""""

When it should be like below

====|====
.. ...|

Since this would look more realistic, having it drive strait into the stop rather then turn and spin about.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

NekoMaster wrote:Man, i can wait to try out this set, though from the looks of it, its gunna be awhile. *sits*
as you could see, the development of the set is currently stop, unless some dev would provide some code to make it available. Or at least a dev that would choose which of the possible solutions would be more doable, so I could select a schema to code.
Unfortunately, every schema has some problem.
Or may be one day I would decide, what problem should I ignore and make the set under the corresponding schema.

Currently the following solutions would work:
1) Larger bounding boxes. The best for me and looks like the worst for devs
2) Assembling vehicle sprites as houses/industry tiles sprites. Would be a big work for me and devs, but may provide some bonuses
3) New movement schemas with jumping parts (blending control). A huge work for devs, but may provide some bonuses like larger lorry/bus stations, pass through houses and such
NekoMaster wrote:Hmm, something nice that needs to be patched\fixed in openttd, the terminal stops for road vehicles, I think its lame that they go in like this
When it should be like below
Since this would look more realistic, having it drive strait into the stop rather then turn and spin about.
Solution 3
Image Image Image Image
Sensation Lover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sensation Lover »

Hello Great George,

How things going with this set? I know you've been having a little headake lately :) ...

Cheers!
S.L.
I was in:
Austria,Belgium,Brazil,China,France,Germany,Hungary,Indonesia,Italy,Luxemburg,Malaysia,Mexico,Netherlands,Norway,Panamà,Poland,Romania,
Saudi Arabia,Singapore,Slovenia,Spain,Switzerland,Thailand,U.K.,Ukraine,U.S.A.

Return to “Graphics Development”