Long vehicles v5. Planning

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Select code

Poll ended at 24 Jan 2009 17:51

2 parts
8%
1 part
17%
Combined (1+2)
58%
Front part code
13%
Other
4%

Total votes: 24

kamnet

Re: Long vehicles v5. Planning

Post by kamnet »

So we're slowly creeping upon 10 years when LV5 was being tested... I think the community is missing out on a lot of good gameplay here. If George is still open, perhaps a budding set developer would like to step in, maybe even make it a DevZone project? This would make a really great Christmas present. :)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

kamnet wrote:So we're slowly creeping upon 10 years when LV5 was being tested... I think the community is missing out on a lot of good gameplay here. If George is still open, perhaps a budding set developer would like to step in, maybe even make it a DevZone project? This would make a really great Christmas present. :)
Well, even if I'll start it today it would take a year to redo all the set. The main problem is there is still no solution to solve all the problems, specified many years ago.
Unless some OTTD developer would provide a support for them.
Image Image Image Image
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

George wrote:
kamnet wrote:So we're slowly creeping upon 10 years when LV5 was being tested... I think the community is missing out on a lot of good gameplay here. If George is still open, perhaps a budding set developer would like to step in, maybe even make it a DevZone project? This would make a really great Christmas present. :)
Well, even if I'll start it today it would take a year to redo all the set. The main problem is there is still no solution to solve all the problems, specified many years ago.
What are the problems? Pretty sure most if not all types of road vehicles can be done in OpenTTD one way or another.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

NekoMaster wrote:
George wrote:
What are the problems? Pretty sure most if not all types of road vehicles can be done in OpenTTD one way or another.
the problem is the graphics glitches, caused by bounding boxes sorting, and a huge code to reduce it on the GRF side, being impossible to fix all of them. It would be good if the code with the same aim, but more effective (because game code has a better and faster access to games data) would be provided on the game side. For example - 16 length wide vehicles.
Image Image Image Image
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

George wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:
George wrote:Well, even if I'll start it today it would take a year to redo all the set. The main problem is there is still no solution to solve all the problems, specified many years ago.
the problem is the graphics glitches, caused by bounding boxes sorting, and a huge code to reduce it on the GRF side, being impossible to fix all of them. It would be good if the code with the same aim, but more effective (because game code has a better and faster access to games data) would be provided on the game side. For example - 16 length wide vehicles.
Could always try what 2cc Trains did if thats at all possible, oversized vehicles in 2cc trains gets a 3 part setup where the front and back parts are invisable articulated parts for spacing while the middle is what contains the sprite.

[EMPTY SPRITE][MAIN SPRITE][EMPTY SPRITE]

I dunno if thats possible with Road vehicles, but if it can be done that might solve some issues with oversized sprites
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

NekoMaster wrote:
George wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:What are the problems? Pretty sure most if not all types of road vehicles can be done in OpenTTD one way or another.
Could always try what 2cc Trains did if thats at all possible, oversized vehicles in 2cc trains gets a 3 part setup where the front and back parts are invisable articulated parts for spacing while the middle is what contains the sprite.
[EMPTY SPRITE][MAIN SPRITE][EMPTY SPRITE]
I dunno if thats possible with Road vehicles, but if it can be done that might solve some issues with oversized sprites
Yes, that is possible, solution 2 in the first post. gets glitches on slopes, tunnels, bridges
Image Image Image Image
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Yes it would fix the look of it but articulated rv's can't overtake.
Gruntz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gruntz »

Hi. Are you working on this modification?
Punk's not dead
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Gruntz wrote: 28 Aug 2021 15:52 Hi. Are you working on this modification?
No. There are a set of fundamental problems that I could not solve
Image Image Image Image
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Overtaking Articulated Road Vehicles cannot be implemented in a GRF; it is a feature of jgr-pp but is NOT available in OpenTTD.

In jjgr-pp, you need to set 'Articulated road vehicles may overtake' to 'On' (See Settings : 'Vehicles / Physics').
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

For me, any option is acceptable.
I sincerely hope that you will keep the existing slightly enlarged sprits size, and also add new semi-trailers for trucks and make new pop-up painting of city and long-distance buses. These are my quiet dreams
SkiddLow
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SkiddLow »

I reviewing the development of Long Vehicles (by George) new version that succeeded to v4 is paused and did not work about years ago despite latest version 'v4' still available while did not have major updates since OpenTTD having latest new version, eventually truck sprites with semi-trailers should be functionally change like a eGRVTS, but truck with semi-trailers dropping only for 2-lane truck stop. Also, new buses and trucks we're available from 2009 to onward should be included, including electric buses and trucks.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

SkiddLow wrote: 13 May 2023 12:47 I reviewing the development of Long Vehicles (by George) new version that succeeded to v4 is paused and did not work about years ago despite latest version 'v4' still available while did not have major updates since OpenTTD having latest new version, eventually truck sprites with semi-trailers should be functionally change like a eGRVTS, but truck with semi-trailers dropping only for 2-lane truck stop. Also, new buses and trucks we're available from 2009 to onward should be included, including electric buses and trucks.
You are free to start developing LV5 set, I can provide all the files I have, together with the required permissions.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”