[OTTD] Early Rail

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Izel
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Early Rail

Post by Izel »

hi all

Some thing i have been working on for abit now.

what's currently in the set
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 30862 times
In the NewGRF window 'Early Rail set' is track and should go 1st then 'Early Rail set 2'
they will be merged at some point its just easier to work with the 2

Things todo
add Horse sounds
add some more locos to early 1900s
tidy up the sprites and code

but for now iam going to do some work on the track set

Izel
Attachments
earlyrail.grf
railtypes set
(48.89 KiB) Downloaded 2991 times
ERSw.GRF
Early Rail Set
(108.84 KiB) Downloaded 3210 times
Last edited by Izel on 22 Jul 2010 14:27, edited 4 times in total.
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants. Isaac Newton

It's better to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission. Grace Murray Hopper
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Early Rail

Post by DanMacK »

Interesting! Good start, but honestly, I'd lower the speed of the Trevithick, other than that, great looking start. Just need to find some time to play with it now :D
Horse
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Horse »

why not a screenshot for such nice project.
Attachments
Javahorse, trevithick, stephensonrocket
Javahorse, trevithick, stephensonrocket
great.png (14.39 KiB) Viewed 37749 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Very neat, and very fun :)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Question. How can one horse provide 4 hp? :wink:
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

FooBar wrote:Question. How can one horse provide 4 hp? :wink:
I recently heard somewhere that the horse power used to be the average power of one horse (during a day IIRC). So, the peak power of a horse actually is much higher than 1 hp :P

Edit: Wikipedia says (citing a Nature article) that a peak power of 14.9 hp has been measured for a horse (though only for a few seconds). The average power of a horse is said to be less than 1 hp.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Question is, is the power listed in the purchase window a peak or an average value? I think it's more of a constant maximum or something.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

I guess it's an average value since a peak value wouldn't be statistically correct in this one. And a horse for that matter always operating on peak power would 'break down' in no time. Furthermore would the value for 'life' not be 20 as a result of it. :P

However this is a promising set! Now I can start my company in 1700! :D W00t!
thegreatpl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thegreatpl »

why 1700? set it back to, oh i dont know, 1000? 0? probably would need some sort of recoding to get it BC, but anyway, lets play transport tycoon through the dark ages. once one has the capacity to go back that far then others will.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

A three horse team puts out (on average) 500 pounds of tractive effort, so one horse would have a TE of 167 or so pounds, or 0.74285274 kn.

It's not an exact comparison, since most machines don't run at maximum horsepower all the time either. A team of horses will do the work of a 35 horsepower tractor, but require 1.2 times the labor to do it.
Who is John Galt?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the power a horse can deliver over long times varies widely between breeds. a racing horse would usually have less power, but higher speed than a working horse.

the original horsepower definition by james watt (i think) involved a working horse that goes around a mill, and counting the average amount of times it could go around per hour.

locomotives often have two figures given as power, the long time power, that the engine can give on continuous load, and a short time power, that the engine can deliver over shorter periods (e.g. one hour) before risk of overheating. so the power of a horse might be given a higher number than 1hp, if you assume that the horse will not deliver that power over the entire journey

the maximum tractive effort figure of horses should be significantly higher than many locomotives, because the static friction of hooves on dirt is higher than steel on steel by and order of magnitude, or when was the last time you saw a horse slip? the force that a horse can deliver to accelerate is almost at any time limited by its power, not by the friction.

you could of course also include other working animals like mules or donkeys, balancing speed, power, running costs and reliability between them
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Laughs ass off (see screenshot below).

Anyways, nice tool Peter!
Attachments
Image.png
Image.png (623 Bytes) Viewed 36574 times
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

thegreatpl wrote:why 1700? set it back to, oh i dont know, 1000? 0? probably would need some sort of recoding to get it BC, but anyway, lets play transport tycoon through the dark ages. once one has the capacity to go back that far then others will.
You go play trough the dark ages (and wait a lot). I'll start at 1700 since this set earliest vehicle is introduced in 1700.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'd like to know how you got the NARS to be compatible w/this set. I can't get the early equipment to show up with it.
Izel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Izel »

Sorry this set is for UKrs so i just test with that,
but Horse may have multiple NewGRF engine sets on to get NARS to work with it,
in testing thou this cores problems at the dates i change stock introduction from UKrs.
this will be fixed in next up date.
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants. Isaac Newton

It's better to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission. Grace Murray Hopper
zhargon
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Early Rail (Beta 3 15/01/09)

Post by zhargon »

Izel, thank you for introducing Early Rail (up-date Beta 3) which I played with Tr15084 - great work so far!! - though I think that the 1500 start is a bit early - I'd prefer having the horses every 25 years during the 1700s

I don't know if you have more engines planned to complement those already available. If not, these locos might fit in nicely:

1812 The Salamanca http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salamanca
1852 0-6-0 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_Ariadne_Class
1887 0-4-2T http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_3521_Class
1891 0-6-0 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2301_Class
1896 4-2-2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Railway_115_Class
zilfondel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zilfondel »

This is such a great idea! I think it would be great to play a game starting at 1700 (at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution), and thanks to the UK pack and eGVRTS, we can transport passengers and goods and stuff early on. Just make sure to use a road texture that shows the cobblestones (Total Town Replacement).

I think we may need an early canal-boat & barge GRF to go with it, however. And wouldnt it be cool if some of the industries acted like oil platforms, with a certain date they became available? Like printing press, 1580 CE. Factories would be like 1750 or 1800... etc. Some of the industries obviously wouldn't be around until later... I havent used the ECS or Pikka's Industries, but maybe they already have that functionality in it?

I dunno. Would be a bit of a project... but I think horse-drawn canal boats and later steamers would be helpful to transport larger quantities of goods. :)

This website has some good period information on Britain's infrastructure in the 18th-19th century:

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/tr ... o_1900.htm

http://www.tonawanda.ny.us/history/erie_barge_canal.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... nal_system

(wikipedia)

Riverboats and steamships:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverboat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamboat

(wikipedia)
Hamilton2007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hamilton2007 »

2CC ships, has some early ships. How early i forgot.
zilfondel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zilfondel »

Yeah, I just found them. Pretty cool stuff! I hope you guys can make some earlier locos.

Return to “Graphics Development”