Bigger Depots GRF v0.3 [REL.] + Servicing-Stations [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [REL.] Version 0.2 [WIP] Big Depots GRF

Post by White Rabbit »

The depot artist is snorbuckle: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=153437#p153437
It's also available as a GRF: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=425502#p425502
I'm not sure if that GRF will work, though. I recall that I had to make my own (unreleased) version, with an edited GRF ID so that OTTD could recognize it as a valid GRF.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: [REL.] Version 0.2 [WIP] Big Depots GRF

Post by JacobD88 »

White Rabbit wrote:The depot artist is snorbuckle: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=153437#p153437
It's also available as a GRF: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=425502#p425502
I'm not sure if that GRF will work, though. I recall that I had to make my own (unreleased) version, with an edited GRF ID so that OTTD could recognize it as a valid GRF.
Hi thanks for the artist :bow: , i will add that name to 0.3 of the GRF and update my entry on GRFCrawler. Do you know if Snorbuckle is still around? I really should notify him now i know who he is to tell him that i am using his sprites :)

As to the GRF you linked to, yes this was an earlier attempt to make it into a GRF and it didn't work for me in OTTD either so i made my version here for public release

EDIT: Added version 0.3 of the GRF with Snorbuckle's creditation for the sprites :mrgreen:
bigdepot.grf
Bigger Depot v0.3
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 8885 times
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [REL.] Version 0.3 - 5th/12/2008 [WIP] Big Depots GRF

Post by White Rabbit »

He hasn't been here for a few months, but a PM wouldn't hurt.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: [REL.] Version 0.3 - 5th/12/2008 [WIP] Big Depots GRF

Post by JacobD88 »

White Rabbit wrote:He hasn't been here for a few months, but a PM wouldn't hurt.
Thanks, yes, looking him up shows me that he hasn't been here since march 08, ah well his e-mails there so i've sent him a message to that address. Just hope he replies... Also hope he's happy letting me make my GRF from his sprites or i will have to take them down i guess ?(

Still if that's the case thanks to all I've learnt from those who helped me code this GRF i will be able to quickly make a replacement set of sprites anyway :D But i'd still rather use his fantastic work if i am able

On another note anyway....

I have begun working on a version of the depot sprites for a station... I have even made half-length tiles to act as buffers/non-track tiles...

Please see attached
Work In Progesss - Station Depot
Work In Progesss - Station Depot
bgdpostn.png (3.32 KiB) Viewed 12730 times
Now i really need help coding this into a station set...

First thing to point out is that sprite 5 must be placed on the left of sprites 6 and 10, and similarly sprite 3 must be placed on the right of sprites 4 and 9 to form the walls correctly.

Sprites 4, 6, 7, and 8 are non-track "buffer" tiles

Sprites 9 and 10 are the station tiles

For anyone willing to tell me how to do the core coding i will be eternally greatful and naturally give credit when the GRF is complete :D

The reason for turning the depot sprites into station tiles is in the hope that one day i will be able to make trains serviceable at stations with these tiles :wink: for the mean time though, i would just like to use them as stations that look like servicing yards/depots :)

Find attached PCX

+++FILE REMOVED - UPDATED VERSION DOWN THREAD+++
Last edited by JacobD88 on 22 Dec 2008 23:18, edited 3 times in total.
Snorbuckle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [REL.] Version 0.3 - 05/12/2008 [WIP] Big Depot/Station GRF

Post by Snorbuckle »

Just posting here to let you know I approve wholeheartedly! Although I would appreciate it if you spelt my name correctly (only one 'e' in Snorbuckle) :P

It's been ages since I made these sprites, it's nice to know people are still using them after all this time.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Snorbuckle wrote:Just posting here to let you know I approve wholeheartedly! Although I would appreciate it if you spelt my name correctly (only one 'e' in Snorbuckle) :P

It's been ages since I made these sprites, it's nice to know people are still using them after all this time.
Hi, many thanks for the permission, i will correct your name :)

As mentioned in a post above i've always loved these sprites, do you have any more work in the pipeline?
Snorbuckle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Snorbuckle »

I'm afraid not, I'm really incredibly uncreative! I just found it quite fun to alter the original graphics and make them larger, all very mathematical, that's more my idea of fun than creating new graphics.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

OK, please find attached a new version of the PCX file for coding into a station
Now i really need help coding this into a station set...

First thing to point out is that sprite 5 must be placed on the left of sprites 6 and 10, and similarly sprite 3 must be placed on the right of sprites 4 and 9 to form the walls correctly. Take a peek at the Bigger train depot GRF on this thread to see what i mean...

Sprites 4, 6, 7, and 8 are non-track "buffer" tiles

Sprites 9 and 10 are the station tiles
I'd be very, very, greatful if someone could generate a station grf nfo for me according to the above using the attached PCX as i'm struggling to find even where to start :baby: :oops:

Again the reason for turning the depot sprites into station tiles is in the hope that one day i will be able to make trains serviceable at stations with these tiles :wink: for the mean time though, i would just like to use them as stations that look like servicing yards/depots :)

With regards to the GRF ID/Action 8 stuff please use the following and insert your name as the coder :)

I'll adjust the action/line length with the renum utility later as i'm aware 1 * 127 is already incorrect

Code: Select all

1 * 127	 08 07 19 06 08 02 "Bigger Train Depot - Servicing Station" 00 "A larger train depot, now available as a station set, Based on sprites by Snorbuckle by Jacob Deuchar 2008, Core Coding by ++Insert Name++" 00
I think i've already got the coordinates and sizes of each sprite accurate, they are as follows...

Sprite 3 Coordinates 59 8 Size 11 16
Sprite 4 Coordinates 91 8 Size 38 50
Sprite 5 Coordinates 157 8 Size 11 16
Sprite 6 Coordinates 189 8 Size 37 48
Sprite 7 Coordinates 252 8 Size 38 49
Sprite 8 Coordinates 314 8 Size 37 49
Sprite 9 Coordinates 377 8 Size 45 64
Sprite 10 Coordinates 456 8 Size 45 64

Once the nfo is complete, just post it back up here, i have a few things to play around with once the code allows the pcx to be used as a station as i am already planning a few sprite tweaks (But these won't affect the size of each sprite) so don't really want the grf created yet, just the nfo for it :mrgreen:

To whomever takes this up you will have my eternal gratitude and credit :D

Thanks in advance

JacobD88
Attachments
bgdpostn.pcx
New version of PCX
(10.96 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [REL.] Bigger Depots GRF v0.3 (+ Servicing-Stations [WIP])

Post by Ameecher »

Hmmm, I'm going to keep an eye on this topic. A while back I toyed with the idea of creating a Depot station GRF but never got any further than drawing the depots and a turntable. Depending on how this progresses over the next week when I am away I may approach you about a joint approach using my depot graphics. This'd be pretty sweet as it'd allow 2 time periods of depots to be built at the same time.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Ameecher wrote:Hmmm, I'm going to keep an eye on this topic. A while back I toyed with the idea of creating a Depot station GRF but never got any further than drawing the depots and a turntable. Depending on how this progresses over the next week when I am away I may approach you about a joint approach using my depot graphics. This'd be pretty sweet as it'd allow 2 time periods of depots to be built at the same time.
Hi, thanks for the vote of support, if you do get the time i would be very interested in joining you with this project as i am very much a coding noob and would appreciate the support of one of the most respected members of these forums.

I like the idea of possibly creating a set covering two time periods as i feel that depots and their implementation in to the TTD world is something that's all too frequently over-looked and just become "that place where you build your trains", hence my great interest in one day improving upon the servicing element of the game through stations that also function as service-depots, or even better implementing a function to have only certain portions of stations where depot-station tiles are present perform these functions.

These feelings are compounded by the fact that almost all other aspects of TTD have been revised and improved upon, and with the arrival of new industries such as PBI, ECS and FIRS, plus the cargo-dest and infrastructure sharing patches almost everything is heading in new and exciting directions and the humble servicing and maintenance portion of the game has sadly fell behind.

Turntables sound very interesting as up until now i've always implemented turn-around loops into my games where i want to experiment with "reality" and i can see them being a nice feature to try and implement into the game in addition to the "shunting" behaviour that some sets like the UKRS have already toyed with

On another note, but related to this thread, i recently had a discussion on the best depot systems (with an eye to the bigger depots GRF here and long trains) to use as off-line maintenance areas that didn't slow traffic on the main-line, this thread is here... http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 95&start=0

FooBar came up with a very interesting design that i refined a few posts down that created the best balance between service area size and through-put of traffic, it also looks great :D
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

I've noticed a glitch where a train can get 'stuck' in just one depot whilst another train is on the same tracks - this occured when I botched some signals. Also, its annoying that there is no drag feature or that at least, they aren't one depot. I guess your plan to make it station-like would fix this, but - and this is a big but - would it still be able to provide vehicles if you did that? I think that might be a hell of a lot of coding to do if that happens ;)
Hmm, what should I put here...
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

mrMann wrote:I've noticed a glitch where a train can get 'stuck' in just one depot whilst another train is on the same tracks - this occured when I botched some signals. Also, its annoying that there is no drag feature or that at least, they aren't one depot. I guess your plan to make it station-like would fix this, but - and this is a big but - would it still be able to provide vehicles if you did that? I think that might be a hell of a lot of coding to do if that happens ;)
Can you send a screenshot of that problem to me? I may be able to help sort it out

Yeah, the drag-drop feature is something i really dislike not being there, and is the main reason i want to use the station interface to build depots in the future, however, as mentioned in my FP; Thanks to frosch since OTTD r14902, using the "Advanced setting to keep various building tools active" you can build bigger depots even easier by just clicking tiles to build them up to bigger depots, it's not drag-drop, but its easier than it used to be :mrgreen:

I think my plan for servicing-stations, initially, is as the name suggests just to create depots from special station tiles that permit servicing, as you're right changing the station code to allow for train production will be massively time and code consuming, plus it would make the existing depot creation interface obsolete...

For now my plan of action is as follows...

A) Code the sprites above into a station set

B) Bug-fix the station set and release as just a station set to get interest and hopefully assistance with the project

C) Enquire in the forums as to which bits of code would be needed to add "go to station xxx for servicing" and "go to station xxx for servicing and wait in depot" commands to the train orders (The latter will be needed if i ever make service stations produce trains to force the train to disappear from the tracks and appear in a depot list), plus i'll need to find out where i need to code the ability for stations to service trains but not create them

C[Additional]) Look at how i can make OTTD realise that only the presence of certain service-station tiles in a station can allow a station to service trains and ajust train commands to suite

D) Bug-fix and release a patch for the above, updating the servicing-station GRF as appropriate

E) Look at how to code the engine creation code into the servicing-station, enquiring at the forums as appropriate

F) Bug-fix and release a patch for the above, updating the servicing-station GRF as appropriate

G) Continue to improve as appropriate, and then, and only then, put the patch and grf to the OTTD Devs to see if they want to put it in trunk, depending on their decision i will then continue to create patches to comply with trunks as necessary until i move on to something else, or sit back and relax at a job well done :mrgreen:
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

JacobD88 wrote:
mrMann wrote:I've noticed a glitch where a train can get 'stuck' in just one depot whilst another train is on the same tracks - this occured when I botched some signals. Also, its annoying that there is no drag feature or that at least, they aren't one depot. I guess your plan to make it station-like would fix this, but - and this is a big but - would it still be able to provide vehicles if you did that? I think that might be a hell of a lot of coding to do if that happens ;)
Can you send a screenshot of that problem to me? I may be able to help sort it out
I can't - it wouldn't show you much unless it was an animated gif or a film ;)
JacobD88 wrote:Yeah, the drag-drop feature is something i really dislike not being there, and is the main reason i want to use the station interface to build depots in the future, however, as mentioned in my FP; Thanks to frosch since OTTD r14902, using the "Advanced setting to keep various building tools active" you can build bigger depots even easier by just clicking tiles to build them up to bigger depots, it's not drag-drop, but its easier than it used to be :mrgreen:
I'm aware of this, and have since turned the setting on (its useful for my multi bus/truck stations in one place)
JacobD88 wrote:I think my plan for servicing-stations, initially, is as the name suggests just to create depots from special station tiles that permit servicing, as you're right changing the station code to allow for train production will be massively time and code consuming, plus it would make the existing depot creation interface obsolete...

For now my plan of action is as follows...

A) Code the sprites above into a station set

B) Bug-fix the station set and release as just a station set to get interest and hopefully assistance with the project

C) Enquire in the forums as to which bits of code would be needed to add "go to station xxx for servicing" and "go to station xxx for servicing and wait in depot" commands to the train orders (The latter will be needed if i ever make service stations produce trains to force the train to disappear from the tracks and appear in a depot list), plus i'll need to find out where i need to code the ability for stations to service trains but not create them

C[Additional]) Look at how i can make OTTD realise that only the presence of certain service-station tiles in a station can allow a station to service trains and ajust train commands to suite

D) Bug-fix and release a patch for the above, updating the servicing-station GRF as appropriate

E) Look at how to code the engine creation code into the servicing-station, enquiring at the forums as appropriate

F) Bug-fix and release a patch for the above, updating the servicing-station GRF as appropriate

G) Continue to improve as appropriate, and then, and only then, put the patch and grf to the OTTD Devs to see if they want to put it in trunk, depending on their decision i will then continue to create patches to comply with trunks as necessary until i move on to something else, or sit back and relax at a job well done :mrgreen:
I reckon that'll take a huge amount of work - the sheer size of coding that is probably quite deep within the game would not be easy to find/execute. Maybe a better solution would be to simply see if you can group depots together?
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

mrMann wrote:I reckon that'll take a huge amount of work - the sheer size of coding that is probably quite deep within the game would not be easy to find/execute. Maybe a better solution would be to simply see if you can group depots together?
Agreed, to see the project through to completion will take a lot of time and coding, but i'm happy to put the time into it as i need to learn C++ and this is my way of doing it, as to grouping depots together, i believe this has already been done through a joint-depot patch, haven't seen it in a while though so i'm not sure if it's abandoned ?(
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Another idea would be to edit the sprites, so you can remove the back off the station. Trains look kinda weird going straight through it... :lol:

And I doubt you'll have copyright (or similar) issues - the tram station is pretty much identical to the bus station, with a weird thingy on top.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

mrMann wrote:Another idea would be to edit the sprites, so you can remove the back off the station. Trains look kinda weird going straight through it... :lol:

And I doubt you'll have copyright (or similar) issues - the tram station is pretty much identical to the bus station, with a weird thingy on top.
Im afraid im not quite sure what you mean by removing the back off the station

This is currently what im coding, sprites 4, 6, 7, & 8 are non-track tiles that stop trains passing through sprites 9+ 10...

There will be other bits and bobs too, for example im trying to get hold of Ben_K's trainwasher here... (I've PM'd but sadly no reply yet)

To modify in keeping with the depot-station sprites above... If i don't get permission or a reply i'll just draw my own :)

Whilst i'm here i may also point out that i've also planned...

1) UK-Style Water Tower
2) UK-Style Coal/Tender Loader
3) Re-fuelling Point
4) Train Crew Hut
5) Depot/Siding Office
6) A few special, eye-candy, depot/siding units may appear for the station set too in the form of a "vehicle set", including things such as the Pullman shunting coaches (converted from passenger coaches), Track-ballast Train, Crane Train, Brake Van, Tunnel Maintanence Train, etc...

If this set and it's associated patches do take off i'll look at doing things other than for a UK theme, but i think for now the ISR's predominantly American Theme already does the job for most other nations

As to copyright, as I'm aware there are no issues, the sprites for my bigger depot grf are snorbuckle's and i already have his permission to use them, as to the station-depot sprites above, they too are based on snorbuckle's work [sprites 3, 5, 9 & 10 ], but the non-track tiles [sprites 4, 6, 7, & 8] are mine...
Last edited by JacobD88 on 21 Feb 2009 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Did I really say station? I meant depot. :oops:

Looking at the depot sprites, I'd say that's what I had in mind (except for the fact that it kinda looks like the depot has another side cut out from sprite #4,6,9 and 10... and obviously #7/#8 aren't changed yet...)
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

mrMann wrote:Did I really say station? I meant depot. :oops:

Looking at the depot sprites, I'd say that's what I had in mind (except for the fact that it kinda looks like the depot has another side cut out from sprite #4,6,9 and 10... and obviously #7/#8 aren't changed yet...)
LOL, OK understand now :mrgreen:

I don't think thats a problem, it will fit together like this (Ignore poor colours, shoddy handwriting and lack of sprites 3+5 :D )... Each sprite is a SEPERATE tile...
Demo...
Demo...
Depot Station Demo 1.png (6.97 KiB) Viewed 7434 times
Last edited by JacobD88 on 21 Feb 2009 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

I'm more referring to a drive-through depot in the vain of bus-stops. (ie where the train goes through the depot and comes out the other side) I am aware that this could be fixed by flipping the depot around, but... :D
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

mrMann wrote:I'm more referring to a drive-through depot in the vain of bus-stops. (ie where the train goes through the depot and comes out the other side) I am aware that this could be fixed by flipping the depot around, but... :D

:D

OK, think i've got you now, well sprites 9+10 already look alright with a train running through them, it may not happen this way normally as most depots, such as Derby in the UK are roll-in then roll-out from the same direction like this (Note used ISR with this too)...

But sprites 9+10 allow you to do have trains passing through like this, and it looks ok with trains coming out the other side :D

and
Another demo...
Another demo...
Grudgrove Rivers Transport, 5th Dec 1960_2_cut.png (60.22 KiB) Viewed 9559 times

Hope that clears it up

Return to “Graphics Development”