[req]huge airports for ottd

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What must be done

Poll ended at 11 Oct 2008 15:19

Lets do it!
100%
I dont really know...
No votes
Just a waste of time
No votes
Bad idea
No votes

Total votes: 5

That Guy
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [req]huge airports for ottd

Post by That Guy »

YukonRob wrote:
That Guy wrote:Rounding up is also the mathematically correct way to do it, and I suppose in RL, the runway never faces exactly 22,5 degrees
<DevilsAdvocate>
In RL though, the bearings are based on magnetic north not true north, so someone should research the magnetic declination in OTTDland so that we can really place the correct markings.
</DevilsAdvocate>
Umm i didn't say that Dimme did.

as for magnetic north and real north there exactly the same in OTTD. (no one is going to bother with inaccuracies)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

YukonRob wrote:<DevilsAdvocate>
I think that's monkey-wrench-chucking, not devil's-advocating.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

MarkyParky wrote:
Timitry wrote:So we would need the tiles:

Airports landing with direction North-East: 4,5 (45°)
Airports landing with direction South-East 13,5 (135°)
Airports landing with direction North-East: 22,5 (225°)
Airports landing with direction North-East: 31,5 (315°)

That correct? Too bad we don't have "round" numbers like 4 or 5 but 4,5...
That is not correct - in aviation you always round the number of runway to closest multiply of ten, so it would be 5 instead 4.5. Also the runway marking shall always be two digits in ICAO enviroment (you may see one digit numbering is AFAIK exceptionaly in USA as they use FAA rules), so finaly runway shall be marked and refered as 05.

Airports landing with direction North-East: 05 (45°)
Airports landing with direction South-East 14 (135°)
Airports landing with direction North-East: 23 (225°)
Airports landing with direction North-East: 32 (315°)
Hehe, you copied my mistake (not changing the last two North-Easts) ;)
As for the numbering, i also think the numbers look cool and should be included. Parallel runways can have the same numbers, i don't think that matters too much. Having different numbers would probably be complicated to include, with just 4 different numbers, we also just need 4 different sprites. And it can still be changed later, just for a start one should better focus on the really important stuff.
And it would be great if the airplane would only land on the second tile of the runway, those avoiding partially flying through buildings :)
I'm glad this discussion is so lively, makes me hope for a great new airport system :)

Greetings, Tim
Dimme
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dimme »

Actually, since an OTTD game can have a large timespan, magnetic north varies significantly, especially in the arctic climate I would guess...

One may also wonder if the side the sunlight comes from is south.
Try my modular airports minigame!

gks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gks »

Err...isnt this topic about HUGE airports?(not cute looking). :roll:
We can talk about runway number later,we should focus on taxiway and runway efficiency.
Wup!wup!netherlands! Reds go together!! Forza ac milan!!
dave worley:IM BRIAN BLESSED!
visit my minicity!please increase mypopulation http://molinella.myminicity.com/[img]ht ... ture-1.png[/img]
That Guy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by That Guy »

gks wrote:Err...isnt this topic about HUGE airports?(not cute looking). :roll:
We can talk about runway number later,we should focus on taxiway and runway efficiency.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...err... my reply has go deleted or was miss posted. there was something here before...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by That Guy on 11 Oct 2008 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

What was the point of only quoting the above post? Add some content of your own...

And yes, that topic was about huge airports. However, it has become a discussion about how to implement modular airports. While not too much energy should be wasted on details, i don't think voting on how runways could be numered hurts the development or the process, and it is an not so unimportant aspect.
The poll already shows that people are in favor of the more realistic numbering, so i guess we have that issue sorted out now :)
Dimme
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dimme »

Besides, this thread is in the graphics forum, so one would expect it to be about the graphics for huge airports...
Try my modular airports minigame!

That Guy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by That Guy »

Timitry wrote:What was the point of only quoting the above post? Add some content of your own...

And yes, that topic was about huge airports. However, it has become a discussion about how to implement modular airports. While not too much energy should be wasted on details, i don't think voting on how runways could be numered hurts the development or the process, and it is an not so unimportant aspect.
The poll already shows that people are in favor of the more realistic numbering, so i guess we have that issue sorted out now :)
Lol i did have my own bit to say but for some reason the only thing that was posted was the quote, i'm still wondering what happened... and yes the poll is important, i wanted to know if i should draw the numbers on the sprites. its important to how these airports will look. do you want me to be thorough or just spit out "what ever quality" graphics? I'm just saying its important to know whats wanted and needed before you set out to do something. so relax ok. :wink:
bartpp7
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bartpp7 »

Wel i like the guys sprites we should use them to make the GRF that way we all win, this should be a community project no just one guy like sure some of us can't do anything but a idea is still a constribution to the project :idea: :D
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

I want this to go well so that when our Ukplaneset GRF taster is finished, we can have some nice airports to go with.
gks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gks »

oh ext,how about making an airport similar to heathrows t5? :D
visit my minicity!please increase mypopulation http://molinella.myminicity.com/[img]ht ... ture-1.png[/img]
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

That Guy wrote:
Timitry wrote:What was the point of only quoting the above post? Add some content of your own...

Lol i did have my own bit to say but for some reason the only thing that was posted was the quote, i'm still wondering what happened... and yes the poll is important, i wanted to know if i should draw the numbers on the sprites. its important to how these airports will look. do you want me to be thorough or just spit out "what ever quality" graphics? I'm just saying its important to know whats wanted and needed before you set out to do something. so relax ok. :wink:
Sorry, did not know that your own content disappeared, and i did not realize that you were the guy who made the graphics etc.
And I did not say anything against your poll, in fact, i think it was a great idea, i just said that it already shows a clear winner after ~2 days, which is good as it seems that the community is not divided about the options...
And i really like your graphics, and i did not say anything against them!

Peace and relax :)
gks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gks »

Well,wednesday and the destiny of the huge airport is decided :twisted:
edit:actually,now i will make a new poll
That Guy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by That Guy »

Timitry wrote:
That Guy wrote:

Sorry, did not know that your own content disappeared, and i did not realize that you were the guy who made the graphics etc.
And I did not say anything against your poll, in fact, i think it was a great idea, i just said that it already shows a clear winner after ~2 days, which is good as it seems that the community is not divided about the options...
And i really like your graphics, and i did not say anything against them!

Peace and relax :)
lol np :P

by the way everyone, i'm almost ready to show you some more stuff but i got some issues to fidle with, the taxiways need to be better centered so it means i've had to go back and re-draw a bunch. Expect an update soon.

oh and one more thing, cuz i know you guys are totally into these numbers (lol) i've just turned that layer off so we can poke at it later down the road.
Last edited by That Guy on 12 Oct 2008 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
gks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gks »

Yeah!show us some goodies :twisted:
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Now if you are a good boy, I will make you something using my 737s. What do you want? Westjet? Canadi<n? Sunwing?
gks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gks »

is this suposed to be sarcasm or an off topic reply :?
that guy,im rolling on the floor unpatient of seeing what youre making.
That Guy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by That Guy »

gks wrote:is this suposed to be sarcasm or an off topic reply :?
that guy,im rolling on the floor unpatient of seeing what youre making.
ahah lol, nice 8)
gks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gks »

I have a new idea,long realistic runways!
maybe it would be nice,probably since its so big 2 planes can use it at the same time...
hum,a decent 40 tile long runway,too long but cute :(

Return to “Graphics Development”