NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.52 September 2021]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sylf
President
President

Re: NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.5 - Nov 4th 20

Post by Sylf »

Roslav wrote:Does it have the same GrfID as previous version? Will I lost previous version (which I started to play recently) if I update?
When you download the latest version of NARS2 using in-game content downloader, it does not overwrite the older version, regardless of the GRFID. If you continue to play old games, you will continue to play with the version of the NARS2.

If you want to start a new game with older version of NARS2 after you downloaded this updated version, first, check this value in the game console:

Code: Select all

set newgrf_show_old_versions
If it's not set as 'on', set it.

Code: Select all

set newgrf_show_old_versions 1
You'll be able to select any version of NARS you have on your PC.
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

Pikka, may I ask if the new set is balanced with UKRS2? Is it worth using them together?
Mizari
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Mizari »

What happened to the Great Northern Y1? It's no longer in the set, it seems.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

There was never a Y1 in NARS. The W1 went AWOL, true - I'd forgotten about it since it's so boring. ;) The EL-C now fills a similar niche.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Lionic wrote:Pikka, may I ask if the new set is balanced with UKRS2? Is it worth using them together?
It isn't balanced with UKRS, at least not deliberately. Personally I don't think UKRS or NARS are worth using even individually - whether they're worth using together is up to you.
Mizari
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Mizari »

PikkaBird wrote:There was never a Y1 in NARS. The W1 went AWOL, true - I'd forgotten about it since it's so boring. ;) The EL-C now fills a similar niche.
Oops, I always confuse those names. The power differential is quite considerable though, 2,400kw vs. 3,700 for the W1.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

If stuff is missing for the W1, why not decompile the nars 2 grf that has it?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kackofant
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kackofant »

PikkaBird wrote:
Lionic wrote:Pikka, may I ask if the new set is balanced with UKRS2? Is it worth using them together?
It isn't balanced with UKRS, at least not deliberately. Personally I don't think UKRS or NARS are worth using even individually - whether they're worth using together is up to you.
scince years this combination fits semi perfectly to my tropic transportation needs :)
roadrunner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by roadrunner »

Hello,

I noticed that the 4-8-4 Northern steam locomotive is missing from the update. They are iconic and important North American locomotives for heavy passenger, as well as fast freight trains. Are you planning to include it in future releases? The shorter 2 bay hopper car for iron ore would be nice also. You could call it an "Iron Ore Hopper", or "Ore Jennie". I appreciate your work, and NARS is the only train set that I really use in my games.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

roadrunner wrote:Hello,

I noticed that the 4-8-4 Northern steam locomotive is missing from the update. They are iconic and important North American locomotives for heavy passenger, as well as fast freight trains. Are you planning to include it in future releases? The shorter 2 bay hopper car for iron ore would be nice also. You could call it an "Iron Ore Hopper", or "Ore Jennie". I appreciate your work, and NARS is the only train set that I really use in my games.
Doesnt the 2-bay hopper car turn into a shorter Jennie hopper when you refit it to iron ore?
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
roadrunner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by roadrunner »

NekoMaster wrote:
roadrunner wrote:Hello,

Doesnt the 2-bay hopper car turn into a shorter Jennie hopper when you refit it to iron ore?
No, not since the update.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

We were going to have streamlined Northerns, but Dan didn't quite finish the sprites.

Maybe if he finishes them and someone creates an addon grf, they can be included in that? :)
roadrunner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by roadrunner »

Thanks for the update to NARS, and for disentangling the generational locomotives and rolling stock. It's a lot easier for people who play with "vehicles never expire" on and want to purchase older engines or wagons. Much better than rolling the date back when you want to buy some heavyweight passenger or mail cars. I will miss the non-streamlined Northerns for freight use. Maybe I can use the Selkirk as a replacement. I guess I'll have to use ore wagons from another set if I want shorter ones.
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spirit of Trains »

Um, what happened?
OK, I honestly do not like NARS 2.5. I'm sorry, but I don't. Look, it's missing locos, it's missing the re-gearing, and it's missing the generations. Why, just why, did you remove those amazing features? :? If this is a mod that wasn't fully completed on time, I understand, but why no re-gearing? That is one of the defining features of NARS! Who all supports me on this part? I loved 2.03, with all those extra features you threw in, especially the re-gearing and the generations. I can tell it took a while to do those, but I loved that version for the extra time you put in! Look, I'm sorry if I'm being a pessimist, but I'm speaking my mind. What happened to the GG1? What about the Challenger? In my view, 2.03 was more advanced than UKRS2 of now. I mean, you had re-gearing and generations with their own changes physically and in terms of usage. Is this what NARS is going to become? Is it going to be the 10cc US Trains? Or are you going to re-implement the 2.03 features and rework the whole .grf for better compatibility and take it to the next generation? I had high expectations for the .grf, but I think I'm starting to doubt them. Do you have a bigger scheme for it? :?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

If you love the old version, there's nothing preventing you from keeping using it. You don't have to update and I personally don't care whether you use the old set, the new set, or neither.
Spirit of Trains wrote:What happened to the GG1? What about the Challenger?
Good question. What did happen to the GG1? What about the Challenger?

BTW, the reason the shortened ore wagons got removed is station refitting - vehicles can't change length outside the depot. Adding them as an additional wagon via an addon set would certainly be an option, and I'm happy to provide the sprites if someone wants to do that.
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spirit of Trains »

Ah hallelujah, thanks a lot for having 2.5 as a separate .grf! Anyways, do you kinda plan on restarting NARS? I mean, it's just so different not being able to re-gear the diesels such as the F-Series. It would be cool if someone could work on a 10cc version, as 10cc is getting real popular nowadays. I just noticed that because I REALLY got into Minecraft, unfortunately. Ugh, so many mods and no Modding API.... Welp, back to the subject: What is the current future of NARS? Will we be able to re-gear our diesels as in 2.03 and will we have generations of them, also as in 2.03? I want to know as I am in love with this mod (why did I just say... uh oh, Minecraft fever! It's like Beetlejuice, if you say it too many times, it comes!).

Edit One: What's New Coke?
Mizari
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Mizari »

Spirit of Trains wrote:Ah hallelujah, thanks a lot for having 2.5 as a separate .grf! Anyways, do you kinda plan on restarting NARS? I mean, it's just so different not being able to re-gear the diesels such as the F-Series. It would be cool if someone could work on a 10cc version, as 10cc is getting real popular nowadays. I just noticed that because I REALLY got into Minecraft, unfortunately. Ugh, so many mods and no Modding API.... Welp, back to the subject: What is the current future of NARS? Will we be able to re-gear our diesels as in 2.03 and will we have generations of them, also as in 2.03? I want to know as I am in love with this mod (why did I just say... uh oh, Minecraft fever! It's like Beetlejuice, if you say it too many times, it comes!).

Edit One: What's New Coke?
I assume the user refers to the fact that it is something new and that this by default will displease even if it is largely the same thing.

Aside from some of the vehicles missing I don't mind the changes too much. I never liked how the passenger wagons changed automatically so that you couldn't build heavy-weights after - what year was it, 1940?. The re-gearing disappearing is a bit of a loss but not too much of a bother. It's unfortunate that all the coding for sets required is so complex compared to the straight-forward approach I'm used to (in Simutrans).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Spirit of Trains wrote:Edit One: What's New Coke?
In 1985 Coca-Cola attempted to replace their nearly 100 year-old formula of their flagship cola product with one that was similar in taste to Pepsi Cola. Initial taste tests showed most consumers liked it better than both the old Coke formula and Pepsi, but there was a small but vocal minority who said not only did they not like it, but they would stop buying all Coca-Cola products in response, completely offended that the company would make such a change. That vocal minority complained loudly and it slowly triggered a nationwide negative response, which in turn affected bottlers and distributors, who threatened to sue over it. Eventually Coke re-introduced the original formula as "Coca-Cola Classic", the new formula was relabeled "Coke II", and most bottlers and distributors dropped Coke II like a bad habit.

PikkaBird has given us a gift here in an updated version of NARS that meets his satisfaction, one that eliminates features that many users were confused or just didn't like and made it so that it could be contemporary with other train sets. If you don't like the change in features, you still have the previous release of NARS to enjoy. PikkaBird has also said that if anybody wants to take the old version and work on it, he's more than happy to let them do that. Rather than complain about what you don't like, you have the opportunity to take what you do like and improve upon it.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I'd love to be able to work on the set or an addon, but I just can't rap my head around NFO or NML, no matter how long I stare at tutorials or code.

I can handle lack of regearing, but removal of generations means there will be gaps here and there with missing locomotives.

I hope that when someone has the time that someone can make an add-on GRF to replace the missing locomotives (and maybe add in some of the stuff from the forums like the FP45 and GP40). It might also be nice to have regearing back but thats something way more complex then just adding some locomotives back.

Return to “Graphics Development”