NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.52 September 2021]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.5 - Nov 4th 20

Post by PikkaBird »

Thanks for the feedback. :) I'll try and sort the wiki out next week - the information there is outdated, though.
jimmydanny wrote:The one thing I do miss, is the fact that it doesn't say what loco uses what kind of propulsion. I have NO clue about US locos, I know Norwegian ones just by a splitsecond peek, but US, nah.
There are only a handful of electric locos in the set; apart from that, it doesn't really matter, does it?

The heavyweight cars are indeed an earlier generation than the lightweights. Once the lightweights are introduced there's no real reason to build heavyweights any more unless you like the look of them, or are extending an existing train and want the cars to match.
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

PikkaBird wrote:Gone: Regearing, HEP, complex running costs, generational vehicles, climate-dependent vehicles, hidden easter eggs, consist restrictions, maglevs, running sounds, 4x livery variations.
Added: Station refitting, wagon running costs, flippable locomotives, a few new locos (in addition to some parted-out generational vehicles).
Can't say I disagree with any of the additions, so I comment on the removals instead. Don't take this post too negativly, I'd probably try out the new NARS2 for a game or two to see how it really plays like soon. :)

Regearing: Nice in theory but was so bothersome in practice. I'd mind it much less if there was a way to have it dynamic by default, where the gear ratio is set to whatever gives the most maxspeed depending on the carriages you use (as to be honest, that's probably what most players did anyway). Might not be possible with newGRF coding though. I'm honestly not sure whenever I would miss it or not, it was kinda neat but it was unfun to regear 100 diffrent trains after autoreplacing them... I'd love to see the feature return in some form in some other future set though if it's done "right".

HEP: Since it's replaced by wagon running costs I'm fine with it as that fulfills similar purpose (getting around how light passenger cars can be). It always seemed to be the kinda feature that winded up confusing newbies as well (where did my horsepower go?).

Complex running costs: Loved it in theory, but I admit I can't say I noticed it much in actual gameplay other than Steam engines getting really expensive if you kept using them. :P Having steam and diesel get more expensive over time was kinda neat though.

Generational Vehicles: Having trains of different generations with different stats was a pain, especially since there was no good way to replace them. It's a feature I wouldn't had minded if it was just cosmetic though.

Climate-Dependant vehicles: Honestly really never cared about this. Maybe fun if different climates had different signature trains, but IIRC i winded up using mostly the same in all climates.

Easter eggs: ...what easter eggs? ;)

Consist restrictions: Not sure what this is. The "bad feature" that forces you to use a caboose? :P I personally liked it, but it seemed to annoy a lot of people so I can understand it's removal.

Maglevs: Sad to see them go, even though it's rare I play a game when they become relevant. Not having to upgrade into maglevs while not outright obsoleting them is why I got into trainsets in the first place admittedly, as I like to have them for dedicated passenger/goods lines. When I play the game for that long anyway.

Running sounds: I will miss this a lot, even if some of the idle sounds drow me nuts a few times when I had the game hover a busy station. Made it very immersive.

Livery variations: Is kinda neat in multiplayer, but I would usually wind up with the same set of liveries anyway.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Sylf wrote:
Roslav wrote:Does it have the same GrfID as previous version? Will I lost previous version (which I started to play recently) if I update?
When you download the latest version of NARS2 using in-game content downloader, it does not overwrite the older version, regardless of the GRFID. If you continue to play old games, you will continue to play with the version of the NARS2.

If you want to start a new game with older version of NARS2 after you downloaded this updated version, first, check this value in the game console:

Code: Select all

set newgrf_show_old_versions
If it's not set as 'on', set it.

Code: Select all

set newgrf_show_old_versions 1
You'll be able to select any version of NARS you have on your PC.
At the present time,when I check NewGRF settings from the main menu,I have NARS 2.03 listed among the "Active" and NARS 2.5 below among the "Inactive".
Does that mean I can still start new games with the older version?
(I don't want any deletions...I just wish someone would add a later generation 4-8-4 (to represent the post-WW II advances) and the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy!!)
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Does that mean I can still start new games with the older version?
Yes.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Using 2.03 as noted,but I've noticed something odd...when I add a Bi-Level Passenger Car to a train with the ASEA EMD-7 125 mph electric engine,at least if the passenger car is at the rear,it seems to swap functions with the engine,not having passengers while the locomotive DOES have the 68 passengers.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Using 2.03 as noted,but I've noticed something odd...when I add a Bi-Level Passenger Cat to a train with the ASEA EMD-7 125 mph atomic engine,at least if the passenger cat is at the rear,it seems to swap functions with the engine,not having passengers while the locomotive DOES have the 68 passengers.
That's an intentional, unavoidable side effect of the reversing trains feature - the leading vehicle is technically still the engine, it's just made to look like the passenger car and vice-versa for the trailing car. The new version has removed these so-called "bad features".
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Emperor Jake wrote:That's an intentional, unavoidable side effect of the reversing trains feature.
it was probably unavoidable back then when the NewGRF was coded, but now you can distinguish between drawing a sprite on the map, and drawing a sprite in the train window, to avoid this confusion.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Eddi wrote: it was probably unavoidable back then when the NewGRF was coded, but now you can distinguish between drawing a sprite on the map, and drawing a sprite in the train window, to avoid this confusion.
Really? I should update my Invisible Leading Engine accordingly, then. Not that it's needed with the new NARS :P
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, just check extra_callback_info1 (var 10) for non-zero values. (vehicle list, depot, etc.)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

So (in 2.03) the 150mph Amfleet passenger car gives way to the 125mph Talgo passenger car before the 150mph Acela locomotive is available?
Makes it hard to build an all-NARS 150mph passenger train...
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Baldy's Boss wrote:So (in 2.03) the 150mph Amfleet passenger car gives way to the 125mph Talgo passenger car before the 150mph Acela locomotive is available?
Makes it hard to build an all-NARS 150mph passenger train...
You should try building and running the combination of Acela and the only available passenger cars.
Also, if anything, original Amfleet spec should be lower than Talgo cars, not higher.
But the whole paint is moot. Passenger cars for Acela express are custom built, both in real life and in NARS 2.03.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I mix original and NARS vehicles at will.

You're correct that when I upgraded 2 BR87 trains between Wardwood and Trefingway to Acelas the Acelas emerged from the depot with shiny new cars.

However,over on the Slefingpool-Sledingstone-Kentfield service,I had two Eurostars (165mph locomotives) and wanted to lengthen the trains.One has Amfleet cars that slow it to 150 mph.
The other had three NARS passenger cars of a pre-Amfleet generation that slowed it to 110 mph,so I sold them and bought four new Talgos (which replaced Amfleets) and the train speed went from 110 to 165 between sale and purchase and then dropped to 125 with the Talgos.
Attachments
WardwoodWesternRailway,1stMay2004.sav
(4.04 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

2.51 is now on Bananas.

- Fixed Doodlebug running cost in purchase menu (thanks to Alberth).
taufik97
Engineer
Engineer

Re: NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.51 April 2015]

Post by taufik97 »

I played this update after 2 years of using 2.03 and it is good and AI-friendly (some ai had trouble when playing v2.03). Awesome pikka :D
Morgs
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Morgs »

What is happening regarding the wiki page?

http://pikka.users.tt-forums.net/wiki/i ... Page#NARS2
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Not much. I should probably ask Owen to shut it down, and if I start a new wiki do it under my own web hosting.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I do enjoy reading the pages, especially recently. Perhaps instead you should transfer the contents to the OpenTTD wiki?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

If there's anything relevant that you'd like to copy over, be my guest. But most of the information is very out of date now...
Kaiser-NA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kaiser-NA »

Pikka, how difficult would it be for you to include a livery selection option for 2.51? I miss my UP SD40-2s :)
TrainLover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrainLover »

How do you use nfo so that I can do an edit to how many passengers and how fast some of the trains are? I also am wanting to make my own North American Set, though it should be able to have livery for many of the railroads that have served the US.
Developer of North American Passenger Liveries: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87228

Return to “Graphics Development”