NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.52 September 2021]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.51 April 2015]

Post by kamnet »

The only compelling reason is because you want to play a "realistic" game using vehicles that are modeled after real-world vehicles, with all of their specs (the good, bad and ugly) and were in use in a area and era that you want to emulate.

If you're looking for a NewGRF set that makes for more competitive game play, sets like NARS that have a limited focus and specific purpose probably won't help you. 2CC Trains in NML might be a better set if you are still interested in real-world vehicles, as it includes many more vehicles. Otherwise, a set tuned for competitive gameplay such as NUTS, Pineapple Trains or Iron Horse may be a better selection.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I like to combine 2cc and NARS 2.51 for a slightly larger selection of North american locomotives. There are some duplicates with this setup but you'll also gain access to Metro trains like stuff used in subways and on Elevated Rails. Also I like that the 2cc set has some Canadian stuff you don't get in NARS.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You should find an old copy of Canadian Trains, which was split off from NARS and expanded.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

kamnet wrote:You should find an old copy of Canadian Trains, which was split off from NARS and expanded.
My problem with the Canadian Train set is while is has a lot of Canadian stuff its incompatible with other train sets and its scale is different then other sets thus engines look much smaller then stuff from NARS which looks weird when mixing engines/cars from both sets.

NARS + 2cc Trains is good enough to play pretty much most of North America, considering both sets now have some unique locomotives like NARS 2.51's RTG Turboliner or 2cc Sets CNR9001 (one of the first diesel locomotives in Canada, and it came out rather early in the 1900's for a diesel)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
DeletedUser16
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser16 »

kamnet wrote:The only compelling reason is because you want to play a "realistic" game using vehicles that are modeled after real-world vehicles, with all of their specs (the good, bad and ugly) and were in use in a area and era that you want to emulate.

If you're looking for a NewGRF set that makes for more competitive game play, sets like NARS that have a limited focus and specific purpose probably won't help you. 2CC Trains in NML might be a better set if you are still interested in real-world vehicles, as it includes many more vehicles. Otherwise, a set tuned for competitive gameplay such as NUTS, Pineapple Trains or Iron Horse may be a better selection.
Thanks for the advice. I'm realizing that NARS might not actually be ideal for my style of gameplay, due to how overly realistic the stats are. I've always thought that North American trains suck IRL. I think European/Asian trains are the way to go, so I'll probably look for a UK train-set, maybe a Japanese one (Shanghai Maglev, Anyone?) or something else and start a new game, again! I swear, GRFs are the bane of my existence when it comes to long-term investment into saved games!

PS: I gotta say, you had me confused looking for this 2cc set for a while when you said "2CC Trains in NML", because I didn't know it was actually called "2cc TrainsInNML".
bigyihsuan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigyihsuan »

So I just started using diesels for my freight trains, and I see they're not flipping at all, or the option to flip.

Is there a way to flip the diesels or is it hidden in NARS?
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

bigyihsuan wrote:So I just started using diesels for my freight trains, and I see they're not flipping at all, or the option to flip.

Flipping engines are disabled by default for all models. If you see engines you can flip, those are explicitly enabled by the newgrf.

There is NARS2 Override that enabled engine flipping for NARS2.03. I haven't tested it with NARS2.5.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Sylf wrote:
bigyihsuan wrote:So I just started using diesels for my freight trains, and I see they're not flipping at all, or the option to flip.

Flipping engines are disabled by default for all models. If you see engines you can flip, those are explicitly enabled by the newgrf.

There is NARS2 Override that enabled engine flipping for NARS2.03. I haven't tested it with NARS2.5.
It doesnt work with 2.5 because everything changed in 2.5
bigyihsuan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bigyihsuan »

I've tried NARSOverride, it didn't work for the reasons you said.

To the dev, is there a chance that diesel flipping will return in a future version, say 2.52?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

bigyihsuan wrote:I've tried NARSOverride, it didn't work for the reasons you said.

To the dev, is there a chance that diesel flipping will return in a future version, say 2.52?
I don't think Pikkabird is going to do that ever, people are free to make addons and GRFs that compliment the set, including adding Engine Flipping.

If I knew how to I'd add engine flipping to all of NARS 2.51 locomotives with my addon NARS Add-on Set that I'm working on.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

NekoMaster wrote:
Sylf wrote:

It doesnt work with 2.5 because everything changed in 2.5
If you're talking about NARS 2.51, nearly all diesel engines can be flipped. Exceptions are engines too long (Centennial) and engines with B-units variations (FP9).
Diesel engines can be flipped in the depot by Ctrl-clicking them.
NekoMaster wrote:If I knew how to I'd add engine flipping to all of NARS 2.51 locomotives with my addon NARS Add-on Set that I'm working on.
You'd have to do an GRF property override, a bit like in my mini-GRF to increase Passenger and Mail capacities, and set on bit 3 of property 27.

But, like I already said, that would be pointless because nearly all NARS 2.5x diesel engine can already be flipped.

If you're talking about a vehicle flipping when reversing, that's a different kettle of fish. I don't think that is possible via a property override, because you'd have to modify the Action 2 chain, and so far I know, property override can only modify an Action 0. That means you'd have to modify the NewGRF itself.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NARS2 - Hudson Horsepower

Post by Baldy's Boss »

I just noticed that while Hudson engines have a consistent tractive effort figure,the horsepower varies even among the same model year,through pre-streamilined (viz. trains 39 and 100),streamlined,and post-streamlined(trains 4 and 82).
Any particular reason for this?
Attachments
GreenVictoryRailroad,1stJan1948.sav
(599.38 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Sylf
President
President

Re: NARS2 - Hudson Horsepower

Post by Sylf »

Baldy's Boss wrote:I just noticed that while Hudson engines have a consistent tractive effort figure,the horsepower varies even among the same model year,through pre-streamilined (viz. trains 39 and 100),streamlined,and post-streamlined(trains 4 and 82).
Any particular reason for this?
The keyword here is steam heating. When these trains that feature the passenger car steam heating capability, each passenger car you attach to the consist will take away some of locomotive's traction power.
It looks like it's looking for the first word of the attached wagon - if it says "passenger", then the steam heating is used. But if you attach cars like Articulated Carriage, Clerestory Carriage or Standard Carriage, then you don't lose the power from the steam heating.
Rudith1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rudith1 »

I am having trouble - the grasshopper doesn't seem to ever become available. Have I done something wrong! Thanks, and keep up the great work!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Rudith1 wrote:the grasshopper doesn't seem to ever become available
The grasshopper is ever elusive. And not in NARS 2.5.
Rudith1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rudith1 »

PikkaBird wrote:

Well that clears that up! Thanks PikkaBird for your hard work. I've gotten hours and hours of fun out of your creations.

Maybe I missed a patch note about it - but I'm just curious why it isn't? :)

Thanks again!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Rudith1 wrote:
PikkaBird wrote:

Well that clears that up! Thanks PikkaBird for your hard work. I've gotten hours and hours of fun out of your creations.

Maybe I missed a patch note about it - but I'm just curious why it isn't? :)

Thanks again!
ONce I get around to adding steam engines to my addon set, I'll look into adding the Grasshopper considering its one of the earliest american locomotives (there we earlier designs but nothing as well known as the B&O Grasshopper)
Kum_Cloud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kum_Cloud »

Hey, I need some help. The multiple unit cars aren't working on my trains, I don't know why. Please help!
Attachments
2017-12-26.png
(387.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

I think this is related to the NARS Add-on Set, topic > here <
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Kum_Cloud wrote:Hey, I need some help. The multiple unit cars aren't working on my trains, I don't know why. Please help!
Those are from my Add-on Set, your not suppose to use the Multiple unit cars on normal trains, they're for MULTIPLE UNITS ONLY! which is why I put that little message/note there.

Use normal NARS/NARS Add-on passenger cars with my locomotives.

Further issues should be posted on my Add-on thread (link can be found above this post or in my forum signature)

Return to “Graphics Development”