Fairy's Finescale UK Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Fairy's Finescale UK Set

Post by Fairyfloss »

UKRS2 (with the Add-on set) is undoubtedly the GRF I use most, and what got me into playing OpenTTD a lot in the first place, but I've always found it lacking a few functions here and there. The Realistic Liveries were always fun, but since you had no option to refit to liveries of your choice, I'd always end up trying to hoard locomotives in specific liveries I liked when they came around.

But now, with permission from Pikka, I have decided to make an NML version of UKRS2, which I'll be calling Fairy's Finescale UK Set, as to not clog Bananas with even more UKRS-titled GRFs.

The contents of this set will be a little different to 'vanilla' UKRS2:
- A few vehicles that drastically change appearance over the course of the game are being split up into separate vehicles. The 0-4-2 Tank, 0-6-0 Jinty, 2-8-0 8F, Sulzer Type 2 and the Standard Carriage will receive this treatment.
- A few new vehicles might be added. The futuristic Wardale 5AT and 604 will make an appearance, using unused sprites made for the add-on set. Beyond that, I might try and add some more stuff if people submit sprites or if I can put something together myself.
- Vehicles will receive extra livery refit options. By default, everything will be refittable to 2CC, Inverted CC (So what would normally be CC1 would be CC2, and vice-versa), and UKRS2 Liveries, with some extras. Steam Locomotives might end up refitable to BR Green/LNER Apple Green/LMS Red/etc. regardless of whether they used those locomotives, just to give players more choice in how they want their trains to look.
- There will be different parameter options. You'll be able to set how long locomotives should be buyable for, until what year brake vans are necessary, vehicle capacities, and whether to use default UKRS2 names or alternate 'Class Names'.

Of course, as a rewrite, I will inevitable forget/overlook certain features present in regular UKRS2. If I do, please let me know, so I can incorporate it.

The first release will be made once I succesfully add all the UKRS2 (+Add-on) vehicles, so this set can be used independently from default UKRS2. Here's my progress so far;
UKRS2NML.png
(87.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Fairyfloss on 16 May 2022 18:58, edited 3 times in total.
kamnet

Re: UKRS2 in NML

Post by kamnet »

One suggestion I'd like to put up for consideration - don't name it UKRS2.

There already exists PikkaBird's original UKRS2 Set and Add-on Set, there is also now the "Community Bugfixes" version of each as well, in addition to UKRS3. Adding another URKS2-titled set is going to confuse people.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

kamnet wrote: 15 Jan 2022 10:14 One suggestion I'd like to put up for consideration - don't name it UKRS2.

There already exists PikkaBird's original UKRS2 Set and Add-on Set, there is also now the "Community Bugfixes" version of each as well, in addition to UKRS3. Adding another URKS2-titled set is going to confuse people.
I get your point, and I agree that it'd be confusing, so another name it will be.

Question then becomes, what name should be used instead? Ideally something that does let people know what exactly the set is.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

Yet Another Not UKRS set, or YANUKS.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I Can't Honestly Believe It's Not UKRS

ICH BIN UKRS
(German speakers will understand)
:mrgreen:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
FulliAutomatix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FulliAutomatix »

UK Trains Again? UKTA
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Fairy's Finescale UK Set

Post by Fairyfloss »

Opted to go for Fairy's Finescale UK Set for now, as amusing as some of the name suggestions were.

Updated the first post, and added a preview of how far along I am when it comes to porting stuff to NML. The rest of the trains shouldn't take me too much longer.
sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sevenfm »

I hope there will be some more attention to early locos from first half of 19 century, as I often prefer early start.
Also having some advanced options like cargo ageing tweaks depending on wagon type etc would be cool. Or brake van allowing to reach high speed for train. It's good to have some tweaks for you trains.

If I remember correctly I tried UKRS with addon but it didn't work well, like it added tons of same locos and some other rail type so it was a mess. If you could sort these things out and properly incorporate addons into base set it would be great.
Last edited by sevenfm on 16 Jan 2022 17:53, edited 2 times in total.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

sevenfm wrote: 16 Jan 2022 17:19 I hope there will be some more attention to early locos from first half of 19 century, as I often prefer early start.
Though I certainly wouldn't object to including more early stuff, my drawing skills are... quite limited. Hence why I'm remaking UKRS2 instead of making my own set. So unless I manage to put something together, or someone submits early 19th century trains that fit the Finescale style, I wouldn't bet on it.

There are a few later/more recent vehicles I also would like to include if I can manage to obtain sprites for them; the BR 10100, Class 15 and SR 4DD, for example
sevenfm wrote: 16 Jan 2022 17:19 Also having some advanced options like cargo ageing tweaks depending on wagon type etc would be cool. Or brake van allowing to reach high speed for train. It's good to have some tweaks for you trains.
Certain wagons will most likely have different cargo ageing options, yes, though I won't make that into parameters as by that point there'd probably end up being way too many parameters.
Brake Van speed boosts like with Timberwolf's set is something I'll consider as a parameter option, but that will come later.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Progress update for those who are interested, but are not on the discord:
UKRS2NML.png
UKRS2NML.png (60.61 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
Once I've added carriages and multiple units, I'll release a test version, so people can help spot issues while I work on implementing liveries.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Just a quick status-report-update-thing for anyone who's interested in this.

I'm still working on this, albeit slowly, mostly thanks to life. The current things I'm working on are the carriages and fixing the "air_drag_coefficient" thing for all trains, since I apparently set those wrong and need to fix that.

The thing mostly holding me back is the tediousness of organizing the sprites into smaller spritesheets that I use for this progress; there's still a lot of sprites to port over, though most have already been done. If anyone wants to help out, feel free to PM me, but I'll get this done on my own eventually regardless, it just takes time.

Ideally, I'd release this on 22/2, mainly because having some sort of goal might help me get a move on, and I like the date, but I can't guarantee that this will happen. Again, mostly due to life being life.
Nordleng
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordleng »

Hello.
An interesting idea
Let's test it. I'll be glad to.
Just what the UK set is missing.
I'm sorry for my English.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Been a little while, here's an update!
UKRS2NML.png
(87.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
With help from Will The Mechanist, all remaining Multiple Units and wagons have been given their own sheets, so now proper implementation can begin.

Version 1.0 will be a basic 2CC version of the set. 1.1 will feature livery refits, 1.2 will feature buffet carriages actually doing something special and brake vans being needed for early cargo trains, and version 1.3 will feature parameters to change things around as well as simple vehicle colour variations using a system Emperor Jake came up with involving semi-transparent sprites.

After that, I'll mostly be focusing on implementing new trains here and there when I get the sprites for them. There's a few things on my wishlist, but those can come later.
Will The Mechanist
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Will The Mechanist »

heyo
Nordleng
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordleng »

Any news? How are things going?
I'm sorry for my English.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Sorry for the radio silence! Been in a bad spot for a while thanks to getting a job that absolutely sapped my energy to work on projects, but I've since quit, and am starting work on this again.

One major change I'm working on implementing is including variants - which are already a thing in JGR and are coming to regular OpenTTD too as far as I can tell - to handle liveries rather than livery refits. It's going to take me a bit to get this ready to implement, but once I do, I should be able to add more liveries with ease later on!

Additionally, the variants will also allow me to implement some other things that would otherwise make the buymenu too big. I'll include DBSOs as multi-head vehicles to save myself the hassle of having to do it with sprite swapping (though the wagons between the front and rear end won't magically stay unchanged), and I will most likely make it possible to buy MUs as both fixed-length and custom length.

I'll start posting screenshots once I've got everything set up and ready for this all to be implemented!
iliketrains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iliketrains »

Fairyfloss wrote: 08 Jan 2023 13:52 Sorry for the radio silence! Been in a bad spot for a while thanks to getting a job that absolutely sapped my energy to work on projects, but I've since quit, and am starting work on this again.
Thanks for working on this. UKRS2 is IMO a really good UK set with probably the best roster of any UK train grf. Unfortunately, the one thing holding it back is the sprites which haven't held up as well since their creation. In an ideal world, we could have UKRS3 with a roster matching UKRS2, but understandably I imagine those sprites take a lot of work so it is good that at least we are getting a refresh of this set.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I don't know... Have you seen Timberwolf's trains yet? In my opinion, UKRS surpasses.
iliketrains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by iliketrains »

Argus wrote: 29 Jan 2023 23:04 I don't know... Have you seen Timberwolf's trains yet? In my opinion, UKRS surpasses.
An incredibly well done set with a lot of effort. I personally don't like the long scale vehicles. It doesn't fit well with the rest of the world or other GRFs in my view. IMO, UKRS3 has the right approach with the graphics for my taste.
Last edited by iliketrains on 30 Jan 2023 02:58, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Graphics Development”