George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

User avatar
George
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 4306
Joined: 16 Apr 2003 16:09
Skype: george-vb
Location: SPb, Russia.
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (14 mar 2006)

Post by George »

T-pix wrote:George, is there any progress with LV4 (or 5)?
Could you please post some new screen shots with features of upcoming release? 8)
LV5 is in progress. Unfortunately, it has the lower priority than ECS, so you have to wait a bit more :cry:
vljak wrote:Hi George, look on little bug for OpenTTD (nightly, russian language) in scrinshots... What it is? Incorrect loading or incorrect resource (unicode for veh. names)?
Well, according to action's 4 documentation for GRF version 7, I can specify Russian text in windows-1251, not in Unicode (as I did). It works fine for TTDPatch while using the special GRF that defines Russian letters. I've attached it here. It also specifies the game language to 07 (Russian). LV4 uses this info to select text to display.
DaleStan wrote:It looks to me like Open's doing the right thing there. There are a lot of strings with gobs of high-ASCII, but none of them are tagged as UTF-8, and when I add the tag, NFORenum objects violently, to the tune of "That string ain't UTF-8, you idjit!"
That's right, it is not utf-8.
vljak wrote:well, George, we are wait unicode version LV-4 :wink:
I'm not sure that I coded it wrong. At least I was guided by action 4 documentation (And it works fine in TTDPatch for me). If I was wrong in understanding the documentation, could someone (DaleStan I suppose) explain me, what did I do wrong, why is it wrong and how should it be fixed?
Attachments
ttd-rusw.rar
(5.97 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Image Image Image Image

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer
Posts: 10285
Joined: 18 Feb 2004 03:06
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (14 mar 2006)

Post by DaleStan »

George wrote:Well, according to action's 4 documentation for GRF version 7, I can specify Russian text in windows-1251
I see no instance of either "windows" or "1251" on either the Action4 page or the StringCodes page. Which page says 1251 is acceptable?

The only encodings I see documented as valid are TTD[Patch]'s variant of Latin-1 and TTDPatch's variant of UTF-8, neither of which much resemble Windows-1251 once you get past the first 128 codepoints.
George wrote:If I was wrong in understanding the documentation, could someone (DaleStan I suppose) explain me, what did I do wrong, why is it wrong and how should it be fixed?
I expect that you're using the ancient action A Russian glyphs, which overwrite the accented Latin glyphs, and thereby convert TTD from Latin-TTD to Windows-1251? If so, this is your problem. The proper behaviour would be to use UTF-8 and proper action 12-installed glyphs.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

User avatar
George
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 4306
Joined: 16 Apr 2003 16:09
Skype: george-vb
Location: SPb, Russia.
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (14 mar 2006)

Post by George »

I love how benevolent you are in your wish to help [/sarcasm]

I wrote that it looks like I misunderstood the documentation, you should not shout "Hey, you misunderstood the documentation" one more time :evil:
DaleStan wrote:
George wrote:Well, according to action's 4 documentation for GRF version 7, I can specify Russian text in windows-1251
I see no instance of either "windows" or "1251" on either the Action4 page or the StringCodes page. Which page says 1251 is acceptable?
The only encodings I see documented as valid are TTD[Patch]'s variant of Latin-1 and TTDPatch's variant of UTF-8, neither of which much resemble Windows-1251 once you get past the first 128 codepoints.
George wrote:If I was wrong in understanding the documentation, could someone (DaleStan I suppose) explain me, what did I do wrong, why is it wrong and how should it be fixed?
I expect that you're using the ancient action A Russian glyphs, which overwrite the accented Latin glyphs, and thereby convert TTD from Latin-TTD to Windows-1251?
Yes, you are right here :(
DaleStan wrote:If so, this is your problem.
It is not MY PROBLEM X( It works fine for me. It's OUR PROBLEM (are we community or am I alone here? :roll: ). Yes, I should fix it, because I created that GRF, but you, at least, could help X( No, I do not ask you to code that for me, but I asked for the best way to do it in the previous post. You could simply suggest a converter or the editor (win-1251 to utf-8).
DaleStan wrote:The proper behaviour would be to use UTF-8 and proper action 12-installed glyphs.
I see. Now the question is - what is the easiest way to convert these strings in to proper UTF-8 format in all the NFO files?
Image Image Image Image

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer
Posts: 10285
Joined: 18 Feb 2004 03:06
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (14 mar 2006)

Post by DaleStan »

George wrote:
DaleStan wrote:If so, this is your problem.
It is not MY PROBLEM X( It works fine for me. It's OUR PROBLEM
Well, it ain't my problem. It ain't my GRF what's misbehaving. NOte however, that "your" can be used in the plural as well as the singular.
George wrote:You could simply suggest a converter or the editor (win-1251 to utf-8).
That would involve me knowing of one. I suspect Google might be able to help you, there. The phrase "UTF-8 encoder" might be a good query. "windows 1251 utf 8" might also produce interesting results.
George wrote:
DaleStan wrote:The proper behaviour would be to use UTF-8 and proper action 12-installed glyphs.
I see. Now the question is - what is the easiest way to convert these strings in to proper UTF-8 format in all the NFO files?
Find a program to help you. See above.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

vljak
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Mar 2007 04:10

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (14 mar 2006)

Post by vljak »

George wrote:
vljak wrote:well, George, we are wait unicode version LV-4 :wink:
I'm not sure that I coded it wrong. At least I was guided by action 4 documentation (And it works fine in TTDPatch for me). If I was wrong in understanding the documentation, could someone (DaleStan I suppose) explain me, what did I do wrong, why is it wrong and how should it be fixed?
I think, You can consult with Grigory1, he has solved this problem with own "Russian Planeset for OpenTTD".

Links:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25516
http://forums.ttdrussia.net/viewtopic.p ... n+planeset
http://forums.ttdrussia.net/viewtopic.p ... n+planeset
!!
http://forums.ttdrussia.net/viewtopic.p ... c&start=30
xussrplanesottd2_cp1251.zip
xussrplanesottd2_utf8.zip

User avatar
Smoky555
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 97
Joined: 06 Jan 2005 05:22
Location: Russia, Volgograd
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (14 mar 2006)

Post by Smoky555 »

George wrote:I love how benevolent you are in your wish to help [/sarcasm]

I wrote that it looks like I misunderstood the documentation, you should not shout "Hey, you misunderstood the documentation" one more time :evil:
DaleStan wrote:
George wrote:Well, according to action's 4 documentation for GRF version 7, I can specify Russian text in windows-1251
I see no instance of either "windows" or "1251" on either the Action4 page or the StringCodes page. Which page says 1251 is acceptable?
The only encodings I see documented as valid are TTD[Patch]'s variant of Latin-1 and TTDPatch's variant of UTF-8, neither of which much resemble Windows-1251 once you get past the first 128 codepoints.
George wrote:If I was wrong in understanding the documentation, could someone (DaleStan I suppose) explain me, what did I do wrong, why is it wrong and how should it be fixed?
I expect that you're using the ancient action A Russian glyphs, which overwrite the accented Latin glyphs, and thereby convert TTD from Latin-TTD to Windows-1251?
Yes, you are right here :(
DaleStan wrote:If so, this is your problem.
It is not MY PROBLEM X( It works fine for me. It's OUR PROBLEM (are we community or am I alone here? :roll: ). Yes, I should fix it, because I created that GRF, but you, at least, could help X( No, I do not ask you to code that for me, but I asked for the best way to do it in the previous post. You could simply suggest a converter or the editor (win-1251 to utf-8).
DaleStan wrote:The proper behaviour would be to use UTF-8 and proper action 12-installed glyphs.
I see. Now the question is - what is the easiest way to convert these strings in to proper UTF-8 format in all the NFO files?
I can help you to translate your NFO from win1251 to UTF8.
I made such work for Grigory with xussrplanes.grf
Russian OpenTTD Community patchpack (2.0.0RC2) (in Russian) , (in English)

User avatar
George
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 4306
Joined: 16 Apr 2003 16:09
Skype: george-vb
Location: SPb, Russia.
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (14 mar 2006)

Post by George »

Sorry, I fogot to upload UTF-8 version
Image Image Image Image

KN2972
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Oct 2007 08:31

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by KN2972 »

I'm sorry George...but I must say that when I load the V4 in game with cut version, the cut version couldn't load and it says "LV v4 set must be loaded before LV v4 cut version.". How can I solve this problem, thanks...

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer
Posts: 10285
Joined: 18 Feb 2004 03:06
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by DaleStan »

Add LV4 to your newgrfw.cfg, someplace *before* LVv4 Cut.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

User avatar
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman
Posts: 882
Joined: 12 May 2007 01:09
Location: Northeastern USA

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by ostlandr »

George,

Thank you for the wonderful work on the Long Vehicles set and all the other graphics. I use Long Vehicles v4 in most of my games.

Refitting LV4 vehicles to different appearances worked in 0.5.3 and in nightly r11353, but in r11539 and 6.0 Beta 1 only box van is available. The vehicles still work properly, and work with new cargoes such as plastic and fuel oil. One of the changes in OTTD doesn't like this GRF, apparently. :(

I guess if I want to see those gorgeous log trucks and dump trucks I need to play the patch for awhile. :)

I wish I could offer more help, but I'm just starting to learn the inner workings of OpenTTD- I don't code or draw sprites yet. If you ever need info on US rail or road vehicles (especially pre-1950 stuff) I can probably dig it up for you. I want to learn enough to make a GRF of pre-1920 US trains and road vehicles.
4-4-0 passenger engines, 2-6-0 freight engines, "Mother Hubbard" center-cab steam engines, 0-4-4 T narrow gauge engines, chain-drive Mack trucks. . . someday .
Who is John Galt?

User avatar
George
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 4306
Joined: 16 Apr 2003 16:09
Skype: george-vb
Location: SPb, Russia.
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by George »

ostlandr wrote:Thank you for the wonderful work on the Long Vehicles set and all the other graphics. I use Long Vehicles v4 in most of my games.
http://bugs.openttd.org/task/1461
At least I can change it the view in r11588
Image Image Image Image

User avatar
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 11774
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 01:58
Location: Washington DC, USA
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by krtaylor »

George, just wondering, do you consider the articulated-vehicles code to be stable enough to be happy to use it in GRF files? No criticism for anyone, just wondering your opinion.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

User avatar
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 5625
Joined: 27 Nov 2004 15:05
Location: Canada

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by wallyweb »

krtaylor wrote:George, just wondering, do you consider the articulated-vehicles code to be stable enough to be happy to use it in GRF files? No criticism for anyone, just wondering your opinion.
Not to cut in on any response from George, but there remains a very serious issue with TTDPatch and the refitting of articulated vehicles where currently, only the first part of a tandem or larger gets the refit.

User avatar
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 11774
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 01:58
Location: Washington DC, USA
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by krtaylor »

OK, that was the answer I was looking for, thanks. The reason I asked was because I noticed a thread of someone who is making a generic articulated vehicle set, and the pictures seemed to indicate that it was working, but they looked basically like the old TTD vehicles and I like George's better. So, if it was feasible, I was hoping George was planning a new version of his vehicles that were articulated.

I think I remember the problem you are mentioning, I saw some traffic about various possible fixes - recursive loops and such. Hopefully that will be resolved, it doesn't **sound** too hard but I realize Assembler makes everything much much messier.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

User avatar
flaa
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Dec 2007 16:49
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by flaa »

Where can I find the Long Vehicles v4 (27 may 2007)? This topic covers the 07 sep 2007 version but that doesn't seem to be compatible with the version that the L.A.M.E M.G.C OTT 24/7 server uses.

Off topic: This is a common problem when playing OpenTTD. Many servers use out-of-date or otherwise bizarre/unavailable GRFs which practically blocks users (well... me at least) from servers using new graphics. So I'd say server administrators have a lot improve in this matter. :(

xoth
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 Jan 2008 19:06

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by xoth »

flaa wrote:Off topic: This is a common problem when playing OpenTTD. Many servers use out-of-date or otherwise bizarre/unavailable GRFs which practically blocks users (well... me at least) from servers using new graphics. So I'd say server administrators have a lot improve in this matter. :(
Hi all,

Same problem here. It seems that LV4 is a favorite for servers, but I haven't seen a single one using the latest version. On topic: So where can we find the older versions?

User avatar
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 5625
Joined: 27 Nov 2004 15:05
Location: Canada

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by wallyweb »

xoth wrote:
flaa wrote:Off topic: This is a common problem when playing OpenTTD. Many servers use out-of-date or otherwise bizarre/unavailable GRFs which practically blocks users (well... me at least) from servers using new graphics. So I'd say server administrators have a lot improve in this matter. :(
Hi all,

Same problem here. It seems that LV4 is a favorite for servers, but I haven't seen a single one using the latest version. On topic: So where can we find the older versions?
From a server administrator who has not upgraded to the latest version? :wink:

xoth
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 Jan 2008 19:06

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by xoth »

wallyweb wrote:
xoth wrote:
flaa wrote:Off topic: This is a common problem when playing OpenTTD. Many servers use out-of-date or otherwise bizarre/unavailable GRFs which practically blocks users (well... me at least) from servers using new graphics. So I'd say server administrators have a lot improve in this matter. :(
Hi all,

Same problem here. It seems that LV4 is a favorite for servers, but I haven't seen a single one using the latest version. On topic: So where can we find the older versions?
From a server administrator who has not upgraded to the latest version? :wink:
Well, I can't contact the admin until I join the game, or can I?

User avatar
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 5625
Joined: 27 Nov 2004 15:05
Location: Canada

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by wallyweb »

xoth wrote:Well, I can't contact the admin until I join the game, or can I?
Unfortunately I am a TTDPatch player. You would have to find out from somebody over in the OTTD part of the forums as to how to get information about their server games.

User avatar
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 11774
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 01:58
Location: Washington DC, USA
Contact:

Re: George's Long vehicles V4 beta4 is out (07 sep 2007)

Post by krtaylor »

When do the larger freight trucks (lorries) come available? I'm in 1956 and I've had nothing but the Opel since the 30s. I thought I remembered something newer coming along in the late 40s. Or is that just the way it's supposed to be? There really ought to be something then if there isn't.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

Post Reply

Return to “Graphics Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests