Total Bridge Renewal Set: version 1.12

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Total Bridge Renewal Set: version 1.12

Post by Pyoro »

According to Bananas 1.12 is CC3.0 (BY-NC-SA) (oddly enough the JapanSet version claims its GPLv2 ^^) so I don't see a problem.

Asking is nice, but the point of open source after all is that it can be modified ...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Tru wrote:Hi, for those who are using CS roads/ CS rails I have modified Total Bridge renewal set. I hope the authors dont mind...
Starý Lipov Transport, 7. dub 2001.png
Which version of TBRS does this use?
Tru
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tru »

kamnet wrote:
Tru wrote:Hi, for those who are using CS roads/ CS rails I have modified Total Bridge renewal set. I hope the authors dont mind...
Starý Lipov Transport, 7. dub 2001.png
Which version of TBRS does this use?
The last one I found here. Posted by thgergo on page 26.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Thank you for this one. I might use that in a future Let's play. I love the CS set.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Asking if I can use the graphics of these bridges to make some object bridges for the Auz_Roadside_Objects and Auz_Lineside_Objects sets to go with the fake roads I have done?
Fake Bridges.png
Fake Bridges.png (63.51 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
Be only these 3 bridges as shown in this pic. Make them to expand no more then 2 sections like the brick bridge is doing.

Thanks kindly .. cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

I'm posting here in hopes of getting some clarification on some issues I've been running into while testing TBRS, and which are confusing me quite a lot.

As I understand from reading the thread, bridge sets currently need to be custom-tailored for road set compatibility, but for railtypes this can instead be provided by the actual railtype NewGRF via an overlay (?) system. So far, so good, that has indeed been my experience, for the most part.

The one exception: default railtypes (are they even technically railtypes?) don't seem to likewise adjust to bridge sets, for me at least.

With a set like TBRS, rail, e-rail, monorail and maglev bridges all show with TTD graphics; on the other hand, if the bridge set provides selectable compatibility via parameters, how they appear depends on that option entirely; default track types don't seem to be doing the same as custom railtypes.

In addition, with TBRS alongside OpenGFX for example, the two OpenTTD tubulars do not show correctly; the front half is in TTD style, and the back half, plus the tracks, are in OpenGFX style.

Is this working as intended, or is something wrong with my installation? Does the railtype magic only work for custom tracks, not default ones? Or is it just that TBRS overrides all of that and just isn't up-to-date in that department? I apologize if this is answered already but I searched and failed to find a thread.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Kalen wrote:...
Indeed, TBRS was created before OTTD added the gold and silicone tubular bridges which are recolours of the original tubular steel bridge. Try installing tracktype grfs below/after TBRS.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

wallyweb wrote:Try installing tracktype grfs below/after TBRS.
That is indeed how I have it set up, but it doesn't seem to do anything about the tubular glitch at all, sadly. Even if the only NewGRF I use is TBRS, in addition to OpenGFX as a baseset, the glitch still happens. Only by using the TTD baseset, or by replacing the tubulars with another set (like Froix's Monkey Bar bridge) does this solve the issue (minus the bridge-heads, but that's an acceptable compromise).

Plus, if the set was designed when those bridges didn't exist, then why does the glitch display half the bridges in TTD style? Where are those sprites coming from? I do have TTD GRFs placed in OpenTTD's directory, could that be it? Brb testing. EDIT: Nope, not it.

However, my other, perhaps bigger issue still remains. As you can see from those screenshots, custom railtypes show up correctly on TBRS bridges (minus the tubulars glitch, and assuming they are coded to do so in the first place). However, default tracks (rail/e-rail, mono, mag) do not.

Why do default tracks not apply overlays the same way custom railtypes are capable of doing? Or is TBRS overriding that behaviour?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Kalen wrote: ...
First of all, I owe you an apology. I cranked up TTDPatch and checked it both with and without TBRS. TTDP does feature the two extra tubular bridges.

Next, I dug up the TBRS sprite sheet and I found why the tubular rail bridges are a TTD/OTTD blend.
TBRS features the TTD fronts but it does not include the back/floor parts and must get those from OpenGFX.
TBRS Tubular Sprites
TBRS Tubular Sprites
total_bridges_tubular.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 6989 times
Now on to your default versus custom track type question.
Indeed, the default rails are not tracktypes and they rely upon the rails drawn in the bridge back/floor sprites and TBRS has the TTD rails (except for the tubular bridges as noted above).

Hopefully this helps resolve your questions.

The fix would be for somebody to rework TBRS.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

wallyweb wrote:...
No need to apologize, I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me quite a lot! :) Now I finally understand why the issues occur. I was getting worried that maybe it was a problem only on my end and I'd done something wrong somewhere along the way, but couldn't figure out what. Thank you again.

And yes, it does seem like so, however since there are new bridge sets in the making (yours and Andrew350's, to my knowledge), that fix is probably not a very big priority. I, for one, will happily wait the wait, since both your sets are looking incredibly promising already. :wink: EDIT: Speak of the devil... :D

I do wonder why the overlay functionality was not ported back into the default tracks, though. If custom railtypes can conform to TBRS for example, could default tracks not do the same smoothly? There's probably a good reason why this didn't happen, though, I'm only curious what it might be.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Kalen wrote:... new bridge sets in the making (yours and Andrew350's, to my knowledge),
and GarryG just released the first bridge of his own set (coded by me 8) )
that fix is probably not a very big priority.
I may take it on, but it would probably be the New Year before I could even consider it.
I do wonder why the overlay functionality was not ported back into the default tracks, though.
Simple oversight but quite understandable. They are, after all, the "default". :wink: but coding them as a track type would provide an elegant solution to another issue ... licensing. My own bridges are Creative Commons and although a very good case can be made for GPL, my preference is to protect the integrity of my own artworks all the while ensuring that I am at all times credited for my creativity. As it stands, I have had to create my own bridge decks (road, rail, etc.). Hmmm ... :idea: ... Perhaps a fan of NML could take this one on ... a "default" track type ... :mrgreen:
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

I did notice the thread, and it is looking superb already! :mrgreen: Can't wait for the remainder!

A fix would indeed be nice for those of us who still play with the default tracks, however with the advent of new bridge sets this issue is mitigated. :)

Yes, they are the default, however I feel a feature like this should be back-ported for the sake of increasing compatibility of bridge sets with OpenFGX. That said, perhaps doing so would break compatibility elsewhere...

Custom railtypes as a "replacement" of the default ones with the same sprites and usage capabilities sounds like a good compromise, but aside from a universal rail, I'm not sure if they would work with older train sets. Perhaps if they detect the sets, but how much work would that be? There are so many sets out there...

Not to mention, IIRC, that there is a limit to the number of custom railtypes we may install.

However, if the bridge set is the one providing OpenGFX compatibility, that compatibility is broken if we also use a set which modifies default tracks' graphics, on top of OpenGFX, so another issue arises. Or at least that has been my experience thus far.

I am only speaking as a user, though, so please do correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

9 Years after the Release of v1.12, I present to you v1.0.0 of TBRS modified for UK Road Set (UKRS):

Available now from your local fruit store.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Is it possible to get the source code for this, or is it not licensed under GPLv2?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Limyx826
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Limyx826 »

What is the differences in the online content download where there are two versions, 1.2 and 1.12? There are completely no mention version 1.2 anywhere.
I am Limyx826.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Limyx826 wrote: 12 Apr 2021 03:27 What is the differences in the online content download where there are two versions, 1.2 and 1.12? There are completely no mention version 1.2 anywhere.
Reworked suspension bridge graphics. See: viewtopic.php?p=1045103#p1045103

Return to “Graphics Development”