Total Bridge Renewal Set: version 1.12

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Total Bridge Renewal Set: version 1.12

Post by alluke »

What about road/railset support?
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

The Chain Bridge looks fantastic. It will look mighty with two pillars. With more it's a bit odd for me though. I generally dislike the original TTD suspension bridges with more than two pillars too so I'm biased. Imho suspension bridges look weird with 4-5 or even more pillars. Well, nothing stops me from using it with only two pillars though.:D

Btw is a version with support for rail types in the pipeline? I hate it that I can't use this fine grf whenever I use narrow gauge, too.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

Nagyzee wrote: Btw is a version with support for rail types in the pipeline? I hate it that I can't use this fine grf whenever I use narrow gauge, too.
It's easier to do that from the track-providing GRF, but of course some (like "Narrow gauge rails") will probably not be updated for a long time, if ever...
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nagyzee wrote: Btw is a version with support for rail types in the pipeline? I hate it that I can't use this fine grf whenever I use narrow gauge, too.
Indeed, as oberhumer says, updating any set to match a rail track type is a total waste of time. It's up to the rail type to be implemented as proper railtype NewGRF. Then 95% of these compatibility problems (bridges, roads, terrain) automagically are gone.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

planetmaker wrote:Indeed, as oberhumer says, updating any set to match a rail track type is a total waste of time. It's up to the rail type to be implemented as proper railtype NewGRF. Then 95% of these compatibility problems (bridges, roads, terrain) automagically are gone.
Note that this only applies to OpenTTD. To infer that it is a total waste of time under TTDPatch is redundant because under TTDPatch, it is the only possible solution.

Unfortunately the railtype feature is not possible/available under TTDPatch even though it does support narrow gauge rail. This means that a bridge set author would have to include a fifth (Assuming that the author is supporting the default TTDP standard gauge, monorail, maglev and road) set of sprites that are drawn with narrow gauge rail as well as coding the set to recognize which rail type is being called for, not to mention deciding whether the ng rails should replace the monorail or the maglev track type (TTDP can only support the same quantity of road/rail types that TTDX features).
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Indeed, as oberhumer says, updating any set to match a rail track type is a total waste of time. It's up to the rail type to be implemented as proper railtype NewGRF. Then 95% of these compatibility problems (bridges, roads, terrain) automagically are gone.
Note that this only applies to OpenTTD. To infer that it is a total waste of time under TTDPatch is redundant because under TTDPatch, it is the only possible solution.
Sorry, you're right of course; and I should have known as roughly 50% of the code I wrote and an estimated 80% of the sprites drawn for SwedishRails is needed in order to ensure TTDPatch compatibility.
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

Apart from TTDP compatibility the other problem is that if someone implements narrow gauge rails as a railtype then it will be compatible with TBRS in OTTD but then the Serbian Narrow Gauge Set won't be compatible with it any more because that is dependant on ngrails.grf. The problem is quite complex. :?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nagyzee wrote:Apart from TTDP compatibility the other problem is that if someone implements narrow gauge rails as a railtype then it will be compatible with TBRS in OTTD but then the Serbian Narrow Gauge Set won't be compatible with it any more because that is dependant on ngrails.grf. The problem is quite complex. :?
Thus it needs an update to either of the sets. Both, the narrow gauge NewGRF as well as the Serbian Trainset obviously it needs that anyway as they don't make use of the new(er) features which allow to handle this independent of a specific grf and independent of bridge sets. And as you raised the issue... an update at some place is needed anyway. Then it can as well be in the right place, the narrow gauge NewGRF. "Just" make an update of it. It could keep its ID and then even the Serbian Tramset will continue work.

Make sure to get permission to do so (I don't know the licenses of either set).
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

I think we need separate versions for OTTD and TTDP. :roll:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

alluke wrote:I think we need separate versions for OTTD and TTDP. :roll:
That's not needed and IMHO not desirable. But in terms of work needed it wouldn't make a difference for track type sets.
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

planetmaker wrote:
Nagyzee wrote:Apart from TTDP compatibility the other problem is that if someone implements narrow gauge rails as a railtype then it will be compatible with TBRS in OTTD but then the Serbian Narrow Gauge Set won't be compatible with it any more because that is dependant on ngrails.grf. The problem is quite complex. :?
Thus it needs an update to either of the sets. Both, the narrow gauge NewGRF as well as the Serbian Trainset obviously it needs that anyway as they don't make use of the new(er) features which allow to handle this independent of a specific grf and independent of bridge sets. And as you raised the issue... an update at some place is needed anyway. Then it can as well be in the right place, the narrow gauge NewGRF. "Just" make an update of it. It could keep its ID and then even the Serbian Tramset will continue work.

Make sure to get permission to do so (I don't know the licenses of either set).

I can't code nor draw. Yes, I could probably learn to but I don't have the motivation and time right now. I fully accept if what I suggest is not executed but I can still suggest and hope.:)

---

Another suggestion for a dirty but probably easier fix: Release a TBRS version that doesn't alter the wooden bridge and can co-exist with Pikka's viaduct. That way the wooden bridge / viaduct slot could be used for narrow gauge compatibility while the rest of the set would behave the same as currently. Is this a bad idea?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Nagyzee wrote:(...)That way the wooden bridge / viaduct slot could be used for narrow gauge compatibility(...)
That's a hack at best and causes problems or difficulties in all cases except this very specific grf combination - especially as the railtypes solution as layed out is future-proof and will work for the general case.
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

That's why I called it a dirty fix.:P Yes, it would be a solution only for this specific grf combination. In attitude/concept it would be similar to Smaug's derivative grfs. And it would work in TTDP, too. (Would there be a better solution than this for TTDP at all?)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, TTDP implementing railtype overlays.
Mvek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mvek »

Hi, I have TBR Set 1.12, latest stable OpenTTD and Total Town Replacement Set 3.13, all from the OTTD newgrf online utility (ingame dialog).

Am I the only one, or is there some way to manage to have both sets active with TTRS using its european road graphic? I have set TTRS to use only road, not bridge graphics, but then I have TBRS bridges with the basic road graphics from OTTD or old TTD, not the grey one from TTRS. (it is the similar like first screenshots of other member here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ge+Renewal)
I have them in the order TTRS and then TBRS (the other order warns me that it is incorrect).

So, is there a way to use bridges from TBRS with roads from TTRS?
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

Mvek wrote:Hi, I have TBR Set 1.12, latest stable OpenTTD and Total Town Replacement Set 3.13, all from the OTTD newgrf online utility (ingame dialog).

Am I the only one, or is there some way to manage to have both sets active with TTRS using its european road graphic? I have set TTRS to use only road, not bridge graphics, but then I have TBRS bridges with the basic road graphics from OTTD or old TTD, not the grey one from TTRS. (it is the similar like first screenshots of other member here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ge+Renewal)
I have them in the order TTRS and then TBRS (the other order warns me that it is incorrect).

So, is there a way to use bridges from TBRS with roads from TTRS?
See this post.
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread
Mvek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mvek »

Level Crossing wrote:See this post.

Thx a lot, I have still not found out, how to effectively search in these forums.
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

A leap ahead, now it has some bridgeheads...
Attachments
Képernyőkép-12.png (29.44 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Excellent work! :))
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Woah, lovely stuff.

*licks screen*
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||

Return to “Graphics Development”