Total Bridge Renewal Set: version 1.12

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Constructive criticism - The two long bridges are supposedly in line with each other, yet appear to get closer together on the "north" end.
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Awesome! Keep up the great work! :bow:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Well, the wooden bridges looks rather like stone bridges to me ... maybe update the name :)

Also, wooden bridge with maglev ... LOL :)

But it is a nice set!

Especially that 160mph cantilever ...
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

thgergo, amazing job, i can't wait to test this set :shock:

If you need any beta testing, feel free to add me to the list :D
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

thgergo wrote:It seems, these bridges needs unique bridgeheads.
For sure.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DonRazzi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by DonRazzi »

Wow! Nice idea! But I'd kick out the tubular stuff (never liked this pseudo-sci-fi-crap) and use the slot for using a wooden bridge together with the viaduct.

BTW: Is there any bridge-painting tutorial?
Best OTTD Screenshots in 2007 !!! Image Image
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

Digitalfox wrote:thgergo, amazing job, i can't wait to test this set :shock:

If you need any beta testing, feel free to add me to the list :D
For those, who want a test version, so here it is. It got grfid 0000001 :)
This is an very incompleted version, there are many missing sprites, it even able to crash your OTTD/ttdpatch. You have been warned! For reality, my OTTD crashes occur when you try build that big arch bridge in another direction. For ttdpatch I dont know how this will behave.

Chicago Rail Authority wrote:Constructive criticism - The two long bridges are supposedly in line with each other, yet appear to get closer together on the "north" end.
Will see what can I to with that...
DonRazzi wrote:Wow! Nice idea! But I'd kick out the tubular stuff (never liked this pseudo-sci-fi-crap) and use the slot for using a wooden bridge together with the viaduct.

BTW: Is there any bridge-painting tutorial?
I think no one made a tutorial especially for bridges yet. I suggest you decode a grf, then paint something on it.
Suggested reading: http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... oordinates
And if you want your bridge in game easily, just decode trg1r.grf, and modify the bridge sprites there.
Attachments
testy.grf
Not recommeded for use, this may crash your OTTD/TTDpatch!
(241.08 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
If you are lazy, this is a basic bridge sprite, just build something over, and connect those parts.
If you are lazy, this is a basic bridge sprite, just build something over, and connect those parts.
base-bridge.PNG (780 Bytes) Viewed 8638 times
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

athanasios wrote:
thgergo wrote:It seems, these bridges needs unique bridgeheads.
For sure.
I must agree, without them these bridges collapse.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

thgergo, i know there are some limits on what can be replaced with newgrf :wink:

But, things like:

- the minishot of the bridge on menu, could they all be someway replaced?

- wooden bridge in monorail and maglev, are somewhat unrealistic..

- The speeds and prices can be changed to a more realistic way? Road vehicles like a BUS can go 300 KM/H on a road bridge?? And bridges are to cheap for some kind of balanced game, i know ttd isn't a game about reality, but fun, but i think to cheap takes some fun..

This is just some of my opinions :D

Personally i like the road this set is following :wink:

Keep the good work thgergo :o
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

Digitalfox wrote:thgergo, i know there are some limits on what can be replaced with newgrf :wink:

But, things like:

- the minishot of the bridge on menu, could they all be someway replaced?

- wooden bridge in monorail and maglev, are somewhat unrealistic..

- The speeds and prices can be changed to a more realistic way? Road vehicles like a BUS can go 300 KM/H on a road bridge?? And bridges are to cheap for some kind of balanced game, i know ttd isn't a game about reality, but fun, but i think to cheap takes some fun..

This is just some of my opinions :D

Personally i like the road this set is following :wink:

Keep the good work thgergo :o
All minishots can be replaced, but tubular, suspension, and cantilever bridges uses same minishot for their different approach. Maybe I can play with recolour sprites, allowing them two different 16colour minishot. This would be enormous work for a little improvement I think.

Speeds, prices will be changed later, Ill finish the sprites first :P
About cheap prices, my prices are 2* expensive than original... per example: original cantilevers price is 900-1000$/tile. Im also plan increase the cost of the second cantilever to 1400$/tile. I dont know, but I think the prices cant be set this strict, my values just a relative/avarage plan.
More original costs: suspension: 720-820
Tubular silicon: 2000/tile
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

thgergo, and what about the maglev/monorail bridges, can wooden bridges be replaced by other type of bridge? :wink:

By the I've tried the grf and after playing a little with it, i like it, off course sprites are missing, but building every bridge gave no crash in openttd :)
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

Just a small suggestion: I would love to use the same rail bridges as road bridges, since i often place them next to eachother, making them look like on bridge...
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

Well, that may look nice, but it's not realistic - and I must say I enjoy having many many different bridges. Using different bridges for roads and railways effectively doubles the number of bridge designs that can be squeezed into the game.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

MJS wrote:Well, that may look nice, but it's not realistic - and I must say I enjoy having many many different bridges. Using different bridges for roads and railways effectively doubles the number of bridge designs that can be squeezed into the game.
Agreed :)
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

Some pogress, other direction of the arch bridge:
Digitalfox wrote:thgergo, and what about the maglev/monorail bridges, can wooden bridges be replaced by other type of bridge? :wink:

By the I've tried the grf and after playing a little with it, i like it, off course sprites are missing, but building every bridge gave no crash in openttd :)
The speedlimits is per bridgetype, not bridges per railtype... Then if I replace the wooden bridges for maglev/monorail, I can take two choices: raise the speedlimit for maglevbridge, or lower the limit for the slower wooden bridge...
Caelan wrote:Just a small suggestion: I would love to use the same rail bridges as road bridges, since i often place them next to eachother, making them look like on bridge...
Also, I notice something: If there is lower variaty of bridges, should I eject the unused bridges to trash bin?
Attachments
the other side.PNG
the other side.PNG (3.41 KiB) Viewed 8103 times
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

thgergo wrote:Some pogress, other direction of the arch bridge:
Digitalfox wrote:thgergo, and what about the maglev/monorail bridges, can wooden bridges be replaced by other type of bridge? :wink:

The speedlimits is per bridgetype, not bridges per railtype... Then if I replace the wooden bridges for maglev/monorail, I can take two choices: raise the speedlimit for maglevbridge, or lower the limit for the slower wooden bridge...
Caelan wrote:Just a small suggestion: I would love to use the same rail bridges as road bridges, since i often place them next to eachother, making them look like on bridge...
Also, I notice something: If there is lower variaty of bridges, should I eject the unused bridges to trash bin?
Sorry thgergo, for a so late answer :oops:

Well, if that's the case, i think wooden bridges in rail bridges should have a slower speed, because most of us i think use them when we have low cash at the beggining of the game, and in mono/maglev we already have a lot of money and build the most or most speed one :\

No, don't eject them to trash, we should have a lot of variaty of bridges, that's one of the good things i see in this project :)
thgergo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by thgergo »

Digitalfox wrote: Well, if that's the case, i think wooden bridges in rail bridges should have a slower speed, because most of us i think use them when we have low cash at the beggining of the game, and in mono/maglev we already have a lot of money and build the most or most speed one :\

No, don't eject them to trash, we should have a lot of variaty of bridges, that's one of the good things i see in this project :)
Well if I add wooden bridges they needs a bridge slot, so witch slot should be replaced with wooden bridges?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

thgergo wrote:
Digitalfox wrote: Well, if that's the case, i think wooden bridges in rail bridges should have a slower speed, because most of us i think use them when we have low cash at the beggining of the game, and in mono/maglev we already have a lot of money and build the most or most speed one :\

Well if I add wooden bridges they needs a bridge slot, so witch slot should be replaced with wooden bridges?
The first or the second slot would seem most appropriate as it would correspond with the original configuration. If the bridge availability is time based, the wood bridge could be replaced after 1940 or 1950.
nguwland
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Total Bridge Renewal Set

Post by nguwland »

Hey Guys, at first, good work on the bridges. As I've installed Testy.grf, and it works, quite well. Besides the known problems with the large arch-bridge (can only be built as rail-bridge and in / direction), I am quite pleased with the set this far. Let my bore you guys with some shots and see the bridges in action. (altogether with the canadian rail and stations set, dutch catenary and us-roadset)

Here the great arch-bridge, looks great doesn't it? Together with the new cantilever bridge, and the unchanged suspension brige

Purno´s new suspension brige spanning a railway-island. Also the new cantilever bridges are visible.

The new cantilever bridge spanning at great hights, and in the background you see the stone viaducts.

The two types of girder bridges.

And I found some minor glitches, witch weren't mentioned (or I did read to fast :) )

If you create a high version of the newest girder bridge, it doesn't look symmetrical. There are only piers at one side of the bridge. Perhaps the piers on the right side of the bridge can also be added?

With the other girded bridge (the former arch-bridge), IF you build higher than 1 tile, a change in terrain-heigt doesn't look to well.

further, go on guys. I love your set!

Return to “Graphics Development”