OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by Aegir »

Those finished sprites look fantastic, Zephyris, but I have to seccond other peoples comments that the construction stages look more like ruined buildings than ones under construction. Your main problem is that you're depicting large multi-story buildings going up wall-first. Wrong way to go, each floors slab goes on, and the walls are commonly built around it level by level, be it plate glass or concrete slabs.

Your finished sprites, snow stages, and ground tiles are quite nice though, if I wasn't so busy I'd volunteer to code :).

The houses are excellent as well, I can't wait to see the finished product in game :).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

If you are referring to the additional white lines those are intentional, but looking back at it maybe not a good choice...
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

I'm referring to that there are two white lines on one side of road.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Thought I would give you a little teaser...
newbuildings.png
newbuildings.png (167.64 KiB) Viewed 6265 times
No construction stages or snow covered versions yet, and the buildings don't align themselves with the road (as you can see), but apart from that* :roll:

If anyone is really desperate, and Zephyris doesn't mind too much I can post the current grf for people to play with.

*I can't seem to get the introduction date to work properly either
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Wow! that looks better than I was expecting!
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

WOW :shock: That looks freaking awesome... Can't wait to get those into the game :)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Well I for one am really desperate. :wink:
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Looks great. I can't wait to see those in game.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Construction stages done:
construction.png
construction.png (33.42 KiB) Viewed 5960 times
None of the original buildings have been disabled yet, but I'm assuming that's the eventual plan, right?

Edit: Just a thought - since it is fairly easy to create new buildings with nice textures, could the same method now be used for the depots (whichever ones are left to do) and the company HQ?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Very nice.

Btw, I'd really love to see a render of my flats I made a few pages ago.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

buttercup wrote:Edit: Just a thought - since it is fairly easy to create new buildings with nice textures, could the same method now be used for the depots (whichever ones are left to do) and the company HQ?
You probably have to use an Action A for that, which, IIRC, replaces one or more sprites from the original files. That means you're limited to just replacing the sprite and can't do any additional coding on them. (Which means you can't make MORE HQs, you can only adjust the sprites with Action A).

At least, AFAIK, I'm not a very experienced coder.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Yeah, sorry I havnt textured more of the contributions but it is dissertation/exam time... Hopefully I will be able to in a gap but time is very low at the moment.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Present for you -

As I mentioned before, snowy versions aren't implemented yet (the buildings do work in the arctic climate but only below the snow line) and the buildings don't line themselves up with roads yet. The "cost to clear" costs aren't quite right either (some of the small houses cost more to remove than some of the large offices, for example).
There shouldn't be any alignment errors, but if you spot any, let me know.

Also, would does anyone fancy drawing a new version of the concrete base tile (sprite 1420 in trg1r.grf)?

Finally, would the park graphics found here be suitable to use (either as they are or scaled down to 1x1 tile)?

Edit: Attachment removed, see next page for more recent version.
Last edited by buttercup on 24 Apr 2008 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

buttercup wrote:Also, would does anyone fancy drawing a new version of the concrete base tile (sprite 1420 in trg1r.grf)?
Zephyris probably has that sitting around somewhere.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

buttercup wrote:the buildings don't line themselves up with roads yet
If that means, that sometimes vehicles are drawn over the buildings, then don't look at the attached picture. Otherwise do.

On the other note. Building stages don't look really bad when in game.
Attachments
Monhill Transport, 18th Aug 1960.png
Monhill Transport, 18th Aug 1960.png (57.77 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Mchl wrote:If that means, that sometimes vehicles are drawn over the buildings
That's not what I meant, but it's something I hadn't noticed before; thankyou for pointing it out.

What I meant was that the buildings facing this way / are only supposed to be placed next to road going in this / direction and buildings facing this way \ are only supposed to be placed next to road going in this \ direction, but at the moment they don't.

Note to self: decisions made in a sleep deprived state are never good decisions
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

buttercup wrote:What I meant was that the buildings facing this way / are only supposed to be placed next to road going in this / direction and buildings facing this way \ are only supposed to be placed next to road going in this \ direction, but at the moment they don't.
I am not sure if I'd like it actually...
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

I'm only going by what was said here.

See what other people think but I wont complain if that feature is not implemented - less work for me.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I think the road orientation feature may best be reserved for terraced houses and shops which are clearly road orientation specific. For the straight graphics replacement ("OpenGFX" proper) very road orientation specific styles of graphics can be avoided to prevent odd looking placements.
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Just did a testrun with these houses, and they look awesome! I didnt notice any bad sideeffects eather.. yet ;)
newbuildings.png
newbuildings.png (227.25 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish

Return to “Graphics Development”