OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by Zephyris »

Yeah, that would be ideal! Ill design new land/beach overlays to make sure none of the original terrain can remain...
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

The ones in the circle. Also swap 1 or 2 darker pixels where the red arrow points. They form a straight line.

regards
athanasios
Attachments
spots_and_a_line.png
spots_and_a_line.png (210.25 KiB) Viewed 7468 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
lepkka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lepkka »

Zephyris wrote:
sooo..... does anyone feel like drawing water? I will gladly make all the coast sprites using the basic water tile, but I am having problems with grfcodec and palettes so I can't reliably draw things with action colours.
I'm the action color man. :] do you let me try making a coastline combining your terrain with my newwater?and let's see what happens
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Sounds like a good plan! I will make the base tiles asap. Should we also make the additional coast tiles for a "completely shore" style patch?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Attached are terrain tiles for the complete shoreline, in temperate, sub-arctic and sub-tropical in pcx and png. They are 8bpp in the windows palette. Overlaying the water and beach from your newwater should work nicely (see two tiles). I would do this myself but I am still breaking action colours :D
Attachments
shore tiles 8bpp.pcx
(70.8 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
shore tiles 8bpp.png
(65.32 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
newcoastline preview.png
newcoastline preview.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 6822 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Just a quick update for those who are interested:
Terrain is nearly complete (drawn, 32bpp ---> 8bpp converted and coded, except toyland) - just the coast tiles remaining.
Infrastructure is progressing nicely - road, rail, monorail, maglev, tunnels and level crossings are complete (drawn, 32bpp ---> 8bpp converted and coded). I am working on bridges at the moment, next will be stations and airports...
I got bored so I started playing with industries - see the coal mine below .
For road vehicles I think my generic road vehicles would be a good starting point, see the link in my sig.
Attachments
industries infrastructure terrain and road vehicles.png
industries infrastructure terrain and road vehicles.png (81.93 KiB) Viewed 6561 times
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

You are a god. Clearly.
#################
rbenevid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rbenevid »

Wow, talk about fast progress...

I would love to see your generic road vehicles as the default vehicles in the graphics replacement project.
I already use them instead of the default ones.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Zephyris wrote:next will be stations and airports...
Before doing any airport stuff, check with Skidd13. He has drawn a full airport set, that can replace all the current graphics. It also includes several of the missing angles on airports that then allows airports to be rotated. Its all part of the NewGRF_ports system - see the link in my .sig.

It is likely (post-Feb) that the NewGRF_ports system will totally replace the existing airport system. Thus the new set may not require any default airport graphics - it will all come from airportsbasic.grf and airportsextended.grf. However to allow for replacing the standard airport graphics (eg. the airport replacement set that gives it black tarmac), then having copies of the Skidd13 graphics at the traditional locations may be a good fallback.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

richk67 wrote:
Zephyris wrote:next will be stations and airports...
Before doing any airport stuff, check with Skidd13. He has drawn a full airport set, that can replace all the current graphics. It also includes several of the missing angles on airports that then allows airports to be rotated. Its all part of the NewGRF_ports system - see the link in my .sig.

It is likely (post-Feb) that the NewGRF_ports system will totally replace the existing airport system. Thus the new set may not require any default airport graphics - it will all come from airportsbasic.grf and airportsextended.grf. However to allow for replacing the standard airport graphics (eg. the airport replacement set that gives it black tarmac), then having copies of the Skidd13 graphics at the traditional locations may be a good fallback.
I actually already contacted Skidd13 and have seen those sprites. Before you mentioned this. You can see a comment in the first post about airports, but I forgot to mention it with another post..So we do have airport sprites. I would like to show them too ti everybody, but Skidd asked me not to distribute the link.

Lord
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Zephyris wrote:Just a quick update for those who are interested:
Terrain is nearly complete (drawn, 32bpp ---> 8bpp converted and coded, except toyland) - just the coast tiles remaining.
Thanks for ruining my keybord; now there's drool all over it :D

Those graphics are absolutely FANTASTIC! Sometimes I want to nominate sets for the 'best set of the month' award, but this deserves the 'best set ever' award straight away!

What I love about this set is that the graphics are far more better than the original, but still capturing the original spirit of the game. Totally awesome, can't wait to play with it!
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

You are simply a GOD!
I love your graphics keep this work up and soon we won't have to use the original ttd grahpics to run OpenTTD!

Oh and may I ask for a new beta?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Attached are newInfrastructure and newIndustries v0.1.

newInfrastructure:
Included:
Road
Rail
Monorail
Maglev
Level crossings
Tunnels
Not included:
Toyland
Stations and depots
Canals

newIndustries:
Included:
Coal mine

newTerrain has not been updated (ie. I can't be bothered to package it properly for a release :) ), v0.1 can be downloaded from here.

Generic road vehicle and tram set can be downloaded from here. "grvts.grf" is the final version.
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newInfrastructure_v0.1.grf
(619.22 KiB) Downloaded 1278 times
OpenGFX_-_newIndustries_v0.1.grf
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times
Acerbus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acerbus »

This set brings tears into my eyes. I mean manly tears of joy *coughcough*.

How about making some default narrow gauge tracks, or if not that, then at least some level crossings for those of us who like to enjoy both this set and Canadian set? Pretty please?
Last edited by Acerbus on 30 Dec 2007 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Zephyris, what can I say. I myself am learning to draw nice sprites, but when looking at yours...Dunno. Your art rocks my socks! Really. it's so beautiful.

BTW. Zephyris, I'm afraid the generic tram set won't be included if this thing gets ready. Or atleast until you personally contact some dev. I had a talk about it with Belugas, and as far as I understanded he will not include any tram set before you haven't contacted them or sth. Btw, please don't do road depot :D It's one thing I didn't see in your screenshot and now I started drawing it. If it gets good, I want to contribute too :D

And I update the first post too.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Would it be illegal for me to upload the games base grf files(except theo ne with UI stuff) all modified to be completely blank(filled with transparent colour) ?
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

WOW just WOW Zephyris :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Your newInfrastructure, is getting beter and better all the time..

And your newTerrain, well it just won't get out of my games ever again, simply perfect... We only need the newwater now, but that is lepkka's work i suppose ;)
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Killer 11 wrote:Would it be illegal for me to upload the games base grf files(except theo ne with UI stuff) all modified to be completely blank(filled with transparent colour) ?
If there is no artowrk seen, then guess it's legal, only thing is that is it useful? And why?
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

it's useful becouse without these files you can't load openttd and with them being blank you can infact host them and make a set of new grfs that replace everything and make it playable. It would also help to easily check what is missing and needs replacement graphics
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: Acerbus
I plan to, in the future, once the graphics replacement (or my bit of it) is complete, to release grfs which add features in the same visual style, planned features are:

Snow in temperate
Variable snowlines
Extra coast tiles
Water edges

Driving-side specific road markings
Climate specific road markings (UK in temperate, US in sub-tropical/sub-arctic)
Narrow gauge rail (to replace rail, monorail or maglev - set via a parameter)
Enhanced tunnels suitable tunnels

Re: lordazamath
The road depot is yours! enjoy...
Referring to the generic vehicles, I would lift and modify the graphics from them to produce the new road vehicles. Do you mean that the grf itself "grvts.grf" would only be distributed in trunk if I asked?

Re: Trees
Does anyone know if SAC is still active around here? SAC's stolen trees is an excellent selection of graphics which I would love to be able to use...

Return to “Graphics Development”