OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by DJ Nekkid »

thats what i assumed :)
Member of the
ImageImage
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

buttercup wrote:
Zephyris wrote:it'll be great to see the font coded
Done!
I am also going away for a few days so any adjustments/corrections that need to be made (and I expect there will be a few) will have to wait until I get back.
I think the font is not readable enough. It should be more bold like.

The impression about the result we get in general (at least what I can see at the moment). The world we get with new graphics looks more noised, less contrast than the one with default TTD graphics. This makes it harder to see objects on the screen. Is it possible to fix this somehow?
Last edited by George on 24 Aug 2008 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

think the font is not readable enough. It should be more bold like.
Its on my very long list of todos!

newVehicles - Air v0.2
Done!
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newVehicles_-_Air_v0.2.grf
(125.96 KiB) Downloaded 1180 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

George wrote:The impression about the result we get in general (at least what I can see at the moment). The would we get with new graphics looks more noised, less contrast than the one with default TTD graphics. This makes it harder to see objects on the screen. Is it possible to fix this somehow?
I think that's a matter of getting used to the new graphics. I had also had visibility problems in the beginning, but now that I've played a serious game with the new graphics I don't have any problems with them.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Zephyris wrote:
think the font is not readable enough. It should be more bold like.
Its on my very long list of todos!

newVehicles - Air v0.2
Done!
If you keep going like this, the only thing I can post is " Amazing work, Thank you " over and over again.. :roll: :mrgreen: :bow:
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Planes rock, er fly!
George wrote:The impression about the result we get in general (at least what I can see at the moment). The world we get with new graphics looks more noised, less contrast than the one with default TTD graphics. This makes it harder to see objects on the screen. Is it possible to fix this somehow?
As he has already said Zephyris goes for quantity, not quality. Now, we may not like this but there is no other guaranteed way to finish the project (within a logical period of time). Later we can fine tune the sprites. Feel free to do it now with what you dislike most!

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

if you ask me, is the sprites zyph bring (very very mostly) better then the originals anyway, and it is, imho, better to get this project to a beta/RC stage, and when that is done, one can modify and perfectionize them.
And this is also an "open" project, so when it's done will most sprites (i guess??) be on some wiki-page in an 8bbp png (or pcx)format, and people can download them and do stuff with them, and each month or quarter or half year can there be a revision of the sprites (i.e. if someone came up with something better, that gets included instead)

Plus: as far as i know is most of zyphs work done in blender (?), so it can easily be ported to a 32bbp version later on :)
Member of the
ImageImage
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Zuu wrote:
Sorry for lagging one page back, but I directly when I saw that image I though of the Turning Torso, that has been built in Malmö in south Sweden:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_Torso
Nah, that's better: https://www.irishconstruction.com/page/588 ;)
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Because of the split, two grfs got into the other thread.
OpenGFX_NewIndustries_v0.10.1.grf [348.85 KiB] - A fix
hq.grf [48.38 KiB] - HQ fix
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

is most of zyphs work done in blender (?), so it can easily be ported to a 32bbp version later on :)
Sadly not, it is, however, all done in 32bpp and then converted to 8bpp. This means 32bpp sprites would be available for coding, but not at the higher zoom levels.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The office block with lift (lift still needs doing...)
Attachments
office block 8bpp.png
office block 8bpp.png (6.58 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Nice work, Zephyris. I think I could do it. Is it the 1443 sprite?

Well, I decided to make fences for toyland (there's not really much I can do anyway), but because I do not know how do code it I decided to leave live it like that. If anybody wants to tweak/code it then go on just mention me at the end.

@EDIT: Small changes with upload
Attachments
fences_toyland.png
fences_toyland.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
fences_toyland_big.png
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
fences_toyland.tar.gz
Contains pcx and some nfo file with offsets.
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Thowllly
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thowllly »

Hellu, newbie here.

I wanted to contribute to this great project, making OpenTTD a standalone game would be great!

I looked over the list of remaining stuff, and decided to try to do a Toy Shop (in MS Paint of all things :P ). I've started with one tower, and then I'm going to recolor it for the other ones. (I still need to tweak a few pixels before I'm ready to start recoloring it.)

So, what do you think, am I going in the right direction? Also, I hope the page over remaining work is correct, and I'm not wasting my time here :oops:
Attachments
toy_shop_test.PNG
toy_shop_test.PNG (4.43 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Looking very nice! An excellent contribution. I like the style, you are right those graphics havn't been done yet - all contributions to toyland are greatly appreciated! I hope you can keep helping :D

*edit* And i missed Soeb's post - good work too, they will be included!
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Zephris, I am currently in the process of sorting out the offsets for the bridges and adding toyland variants[1]. When I am done, I was going to put them into the infrastructure grf along with your airports and Soeb's toyland fences[2] - any objections?

[1] If you have already done these, nevermind.
[2] and also fix the error YukonRob mentioned below, and the toyland level crossing orientation issue that AntBUK mentioned a short while ago that I've just remembered about.
Last edited by buttercup on 01 Sep 2008 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Sounds good buttercup :) and no I havn't done the toyland bridges...
YukonRob
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by YukonRob »

FYI - newInfrastructure v0.6 is not compatible with r14215 (Fatal:Unexpected sprite)
Thowllly
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Thowllly »

Zephyris wrote:Looking very nice! An excellent contribution. I like the style, you are right those graphics havn't been done yet - all contributions to toyland are greatly appreciated! I hope you can keep helping :D

*edit* And i missed Soeb's post - good work too, they will be included!
Great, and thanks! I didn't want to get too far along until I got confirmation that it wasn't already done, and now it's really late here in norway, so I'll have to continue tomorrow. But here is what I've done so far. Redid the shading, but still not sure about it.... As you can see I'm following the original design (but everything is drawn from scratch of course). If I get time to finish it tomorrow I'll probably continue with other Toy Land stuff.

Hope nobody minds me making several posts out of a single sprite, but it is my first contribution, so I'm a little excited :)

Oh, and I almost forgot. I made each story 8 pixels tall. I hope that's OK, but I can reduce it to 7 if it's a problem, or make each tower one story shorter if the sprite is too tall...

Edit: Couldn't stop thinking about it, and then I suddenly realized; I'll have to do "under construction" versions of the sprite as well, don't I? Oh well, a bit more work won't kill me. Now, back to bed...
Attachments
toy_shop_test2.PNG
toy_shop_test2.PNG (4.45 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Very nice! I simply cannot believe that you had the patience to work with MS Paint (I suggest you get at least a copy of Paint Shop Pro.). Window is better than original and in proper size and position. Don't worry about height as long as you keep windows and door smaller than original. And consider that it is a "factory" building ( :roll: actually a shop), not a house, so each floor is taller (7 or 8 pixels is OK.) After you finish it, consider smoothing edges between different colors-always by hand: You have to do that with caution (a few pixels only) not to make blur very evident.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

YukonRob wrote:FYI - newInfrastructure v0.6 is not compatible with r14215 (Fatal:Unexpected sprite)
Yes.. And we know of it. And it will be fixed. Check the "handling of unexpected sprites" thread, which was split here.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.

Return to “Graphics Development”