OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Post by FooBar »

Desk light A and B still look a bit weird. Probably because you show the inside of the light. Since we're looking from above, one generally wouldn't see that.
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

Will this be better?
tldraft-(3).png
tldraft-(3).png (14.06 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
Note: the red object on the base is a valve.
FIXplasfount-(2).png
FIXplasfount-(2).png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Since there now are 32bpp graphics in OpenGFX, I was wondering if future releases will come in two flavours: with and without 32bpp sprites included.

While I applaud the effort of 32bpp graphics development, at the moment I'm not particularly interested in playing with them. For this reason, I'm not particularly interested in 32bpp graphics eating a lot of space (well, at some point when there are more 32bpp graphics included) on my hard drive. Are OpenGFX releases without the 32bpp graphics planned, or even considered?
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

FooBar wrote:While I applaud the effort of 32bpp graphics development, at the moment I'm not particularly interested in playing with them. For this reason, I'm not particularly interested in 32bpp graphics eating a lot of space (well, at some point when there are more 32bpp graphics included) on my hard drive. Are OpenGFX releases without the 32bpp graphics planned, or even considered?
The grfstrip tool (included in recent grfcodec bundles) can be used to remove all 32bpp sprites from an existing grf. The md5sum of the file won't change, so there are no incompatibilities with existing savegames when it's used on normal NewGRFs. So I'd think that as soon as the size difference of OpenGFX with and without 32bpp sprites is big enough there'll be two versions.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

note that this needs additional BaNaNaS (select which flavour to download) and game (select which flavour to activate) features to be useful for the wider population
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

Recently when i was building an scenario it suddenly appeared to me that in (at least my arctic game) i got huge blocks of statues/fountains when expanding my city's

this cannot be a coincidence, as it happens on every road layout and after nuking bigger sections. is there a way you can parameterize them so either you get less statues/fountains, or maybe you can disable them via configs/params?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Whatever the cause, it has nothing to do with OpenGFX. You would have had the same with the TTD graphics. Furthermore, base sets cannot have parameters.
I reckon you have some grf loaded that modifies town behavior. Maybe you have a savegame so we can try and help you figure out what the problem is?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:Recently when i was building an scenario it suddenly appeared to me that in (at least my arctic game) i got huge blocks of statues/fountains when expanding my city's

this cannot be a coincidence, as it happens on every road layout and after nuking bigger sections. is there a way you can parameterize them so either you get less statues/fountains, or maybe you can disable them via configs/params?
You could write a NewGRF which disables those "houses" or generally modifies town zone and temporal availability of houses in general. It's something which a graphics base set has absolutely no influence on.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

planetmaker wrote:You could write a NewGRF which disables those "houses" or generally modifies town zone and temporal availability of houses in general. It's something which a graphics base set has absolutely no influence on.
Or try this.
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

FooBar wrote:Whatever the cause, it has nothing to do with OpenGFX. You would have had the same with the TTD graphics. Furthermore, base sets cannot have parameters.
I reckon you have some grf loaded that modifies town behavior. Maybe you have a savegame so we can try and help you figure out what the problem is?
none, plain 1.2.0 + baseset GRF's , i considered using a 0.7.0 for building the scenario but didnt for some other reasons

im making a scenario and didnt want to limit compatibility via newGRF's so yeah nothing is added, i just hated the statuecount / fountaincount
planetmaker wrote: You could write a NewGRF which disables those "houses" or generally modifies town zone and temporal availability of houses in general. It's something which a graphics base set has absolutely no influence on.
that again would bump against my "no newGRF's " for maximum compatibility im aiming for. the dynamite+expand hitting works, but its a pain...

PaulC wrote:Or try this.
same deal as above.

I was just wondering if the statue/fountain sprite could be either less likely to appear in the baseset (whatever baseset) or if it was possible to use a different sprite to use on that particular slot, showing a "normal" house
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

The base sets can't alter the availability of buildings, nor would it be feasible to replace those sprites with something else. Try changing the year of your scenario: statues and fountains don't appear before 1945. Or just dynamite them.
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

PaulC wrote:The base sets can't alter the availability of buildings, nor would it be feasible to replace those sprites with something else. Try changing the year of your scenario: statues and fountains don't appear before 1945. Or just dynamite them.
great, i was already back to 1950 to make them not appear, but apparently i have to go further back...

indication of what i mean: random placed town, expanded 4x, results into (for me) A LOT of statues & fountains
screenshot#31.png
(268.65 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

From the looks of it not just statues and fountains appear very often, but all buildings do that.

In 1950 in subarctic climate there are only 11 different buildings available. I see at least 10 in your screenshot, and no church, so you have all of them. The default houses just aren't really suitable for large towns in 1950.
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

yeah well i guess your right, setting it to 1944 does save me A LOT of clicks though
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

I have had a strange occurrence. No company built statue shows up in any town at all. Just a gray block of cement. I have tried this with lots of Grfs in many different configurations and with no Grfs at all and still the empty block of cement is all that shows up. I have run these experiments with the latest stable release (v1.2.1) and with a recent nightly (r24370) both with the same result. I believe there might be a flaw in the base set (OpenGFX r978) that is leading to this. Any earlier version of this base set (nightly or stable) creates a warning about missing sprites so I have not attempted these experiments with an earlier version of the OpenGFX base set. I do not have the the original TTD graphics to be able to test this with that base set. I have also noticed that the statue is no longer placed in the exact same spot all of the time as it was in the past. I seem to remember a revision to the trunk that allowed for this but I do not remember how long ago it was committed. My attendance to such things has been shoddy of late due to real life issues. That commit may also have something to do with this lack of a statue graphic showing up. Please advise.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I've just verified that the company statue is in order in OpenGFX r978, using OpenTTD r24355.

You can to throw away your current OpenGFX files, and replace them with freshly downloaded ones. However unlikely, they may have gotten corrupted. Please post a screenshot showing a company statue, without other newgrfs loaded, if the problem persists.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

I'm using nightly r24375. When I set my graphics to use OpenGFX I get an error pop up when I close the options screen:

"The currently used base graphics set is missing a number of sprites. Please update the base graphics set"

I've deleted it and re-downloaded it but it absolutely insists the current graphics aren't any good. The version I have is 0.4.4.
Have the latest nightlies implemented something that the OpenGFX doesn't like? Original Windows graphics works fine.

They do work, though I've not tested them enough to say if something is or isn't missing.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Nightly OTTD builds (at the moment, anyway) require the nightly versions of OGFX :wink: . IIRC it's only small sprites in the town-list menu, or something along those lines...
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

FooBar wrote:I've just verified that the company statue is in order in OpenGFX r978, using OpenTTD r24355.

You can to throw away your current OpenGFX files, and replace them with freshly downloaded ones. However unlikely, they may have gotten corrupted. Please post a screenshot showing a company statue, without other newgrfs loaded, if the problem persists.
I have done as you suggested and the problem persists. I even went a step further and used r24355 to see if any changes between that version and r24370 may be causing the problem. I did not see any company built statues showing up in either version. The following screenshots are from r24370 with OpenGFX r978 (freshly downloaded as suggested) and no Grfs.
Attachments
No Statue 001.png
No Statue 001.png (43.13 KiB) Viewed 4831 times
No Statue 002.png
No Statue 002.png (32.18 KiB) Viewed 4831 times
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

did you check your transparency settings (Ctrl+X)?

Return to “Graphics Development”