OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - OpenGFX

Post by LordAzamath »

I don't know.. This one doesn't have any special feeling or something... Anyway, I just drew more :).. feedback is appreciated
Attachments
preview.png
preview.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 13555 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

I'll say temerate looks good, but arctic need more trees. Or something else, just to get it full.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Ok.. I'll rework the arctic ones.. But now my big spare time has again officially depleted, so I'll try to do it sometime, but not now.. good night
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
bubersson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bubersson »

I've worked a little with cursors and here is what I've done so far.
(I've used some graphics which I found in this thread. So credits go to authors of these graphics)
So what do you think?? ;)
Attachments
bubersson.png
bubersson.png (35.37 KiB) Viewed 13357 times
Last edited by bubersson on 18 Feb 2008 00:05, edited 2 times in total.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

nice work lord az! Really like that
rbenevid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by rbenevid »

bubersson wrote:I've worked a little with cursors and here is what I've done so far.
(I've used some graphics which I found in this thread. So credits go to authors of these graphics)
I like them a lot! The "bomb" sign is great. A suggestion: increase size of buoy and buy land.
bartpp7
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bartpp7 »

so whats the news on the company HQ has any one made any good replacments yet
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

bubersson wrote:I've worked a little with cursors and here is what I've done so far.

I think it looks good! I too really like the bomb! For the buoy I guess you should use the one in new buoy grf, the one drawn by Lepkka, as I think thats the one that will be included in the OpenGFX grf.

Must point out that your mousecursor also do match mine (the black one, windows version of mac cursor), and I really like that cursor style. The original game cursor is so 'big and clumsy', now that I use mine, I feel its much easier to click on the smaller things, like the flags in a traindepot to start/stop a train etc...

Keep it up, after messing a little with the icon stuff now and then, I admit its kindoff a pain; there are icons 'all over the place' in the grf files, so once you feel you're getting somewhere, grab another load and go back to square one :lol:
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Wow, sorry if my last post didn't make sense, i didn't realise there were so many posts on page 50!

Re: bubersson
Why yellow for the cursor? I really like the overall style (its just like the one I suggested a while ago :D), but could you make sure all Icons have a black outline? This increases the consistency of the icons, and makes them clearer when on a similar coloured background. The buy land and busy icons/cursors really could use the outline...

Re: lordazamath
As mentioned previously temperate is excellent, but arctic does need something extra, maybe more variety in the trees?
The title page font is good too!

Re: Mr. X
TBH I think the transmitter looks far too modern, and quite out of scale. Remember the sprite is reused in the airport, so has to fit there too. I would prefer one which is more like the original...

Re: bartpp7
Check the tracking table at the wiki... I don't think it has been claimed or drawn yet, are you thinking of doing it yourself?

*edit* I have updated the wiki to include a FAQ about graphics replacement, we can direct people there for common questions...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Excellent work on the cursors and icons guys. I agree with Zephyris that the transmitter looks a bit too modern though.
Also giving a status on the toyland trains. I'm about halfway done for the rolling stock (rail) and the locos need to be started aside from the broadsides (oops :P) But I should have them done by the weekend.

I'm also modifying Zephyris/ RV's for the toyland climate.

Also, can somebody post a spritesheet of the current toyland road replacements. I'd like to redo them to a more "slot-car" like appearance of the originals.

Also, one thing I'd suggest for the company HQ is a more transparent base for the earlier versions to make it not look out of place in tropic and arctic if set on grassland or snow respectively.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

There should be a sprite sheet for the toyland roads in this thread, I posted all toyland infrastructure for lordaz to code. For the road vehicles would you like some truck cab only sprites to make it easier? And can I be cheeky and ask you to update the temperate road vehicle sprites to match the train carriages - particularly the oil and water?

In reference to the HQ sprites, would a transparent base work? I thought, as part of the original optimisation of the game, all "ground shaped" sprites, eg. the base of the HQ, were drawn instead of (not on top of) the grass tiles. With airports I think it was not possible to simply use transparent tiles...
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

It would not work, but I think It's doable with action7 for climate specific.. For opengfx+, var2 to see if it's above snowline or not.. I think something like that can be used for tropic too...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Toyland road sprites are here.

It is definately worth producing graphics for the HQ for all climates (in sub-tropic the snowline is the edge of the desert for coding purposes), tis a shame it wouldnt work well in all of them with a default graphics replacement...
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well there are climate specific HQ sprites IIRC. I know I replaced the Tropic one's base once to have it more blended in with the grassy areas. Even just having a few sprites and a mostly transparent base should work shouldn't it?

Zephyris - Thanks for the sprites, and yes, I can update the trucks. I'll also add headlights, grills and taillights while I'm at it :D

I was actually going to just copy/paste the cab that I've got for the toyland bus. all toyland road vehicles only have one set of sprites for a straight replacement, so that makes it A LOT easier.
bubersson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bubersson »

2 Zephyris: I don't know why yellow, but I've tried another colors and yellow seems to be the best. ;)

I have a question, in which file are the tunnel cursors? (I've searched like a hell, but still can't found them... neither in trgxx.grf, nor in openttdw.grf)

I did some work on cursors, so here is what I've done so far:
(some are missaligned or not-done-so-nice, but I still appreciate any comments)
Attachments
cursorsBubDone.png
cursorsBubDone.png (48.49 KiB) Viewed 12743 times
Sir A. Boey
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sir A. Boey »

I like the cursors whitout the grey box behind it more, they look more "3D" than the others,

Great work :bow:
_____________# If you believe in it, you can achieve it" # ____________
__________________# Check out My Closed Platform #___________________
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Can you pick a more consistent scale and presentation? I can see three scales (actual size, half size and icon), and three styles (icon, actual isometric object and circular crop of isometric object). Remember it would best if the mouse cursor and icon match, so the depots are still too large. There is also no need to copy the mind bending-confusion of the original rail laying icons. Rotate the rail and rail marker, but please don't rotate the cursor! Sorry if that sounds harsh but a consistent interface is vital for usability.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

OpenGFX - newLandscape v0.3

Complete:
All foundation
All trees except toyland and cacti
All farm fences
Lighthouse
Rivers for all climates, including randomised slopes

To do:
Toyland trees
Cacti
Transmitter

1396 sprites!
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newlandscape_v0.3.grf
(432.45 KiB) Downloaded 3764 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

OpenGFX - newIndustries v0.4

Complete:
Coal mine
Iron ore mine
Copper ore mine
Sawmill
Factory
Fruit plantation
Rubber plantation

To do:
The rest

120 sprites
Attachments
OpenGFX_-_newIndustries_v0.4.grf
(104.81 KiB) Downloaded 1414 times
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Amazing work everybody :bow:

I can't wait to play also with the new GUI :o

Return to “Graphics Development”