32bit Extra Zoom Graphics Works In Progress

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ArsWolfBeast
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 32bit Extra Zoom Graphics Works In Progress

Post by ArsWolfBeast »

planetmaker wrote: E.g. look at the author listfor a high-level overview and browse the source files for more detailed numbers.
Great! Thank you so much!
tomas.lizner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomas.lizner »

Hello, I have succesfully converted old 32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2012-03-19-dev.tar to grf (thnx to Rubidium for the script even it was really very buggy... and thnx to lachtan for rebuilding the script). I can post here links for downloading these converted grfs for everyone who would like to help me to figure out problem with licence (find authors of those objects, ask for permission to use it freely etc...).
So I want to ask if this is ok with rules of this server to post the link for download. Otherwise I could post it somewhere else if needed.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

tomas.lizner wrote:Hello, I have succesfully converted old 32bit-gfx-nightly-megapack-2012-03-19-dev.tar to grf (thnx to Rubidium for the script even it was really very buggy... and thnx to lachtan for rebuilding the script). I can post here links for downloading these converted grfs for everyone who would like to help me to figure out problem with licence (find authors of those objects, ask for permission to use it freely etc...).
So I want to ask if this is ok with rules of this server to post the link for download. Otherwise I could post it somewhere else if needed.
In my opinion, if it was something it was not to meant to be used, it wouldn't be available to download, even the sources like at http://jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-repo/i ... act=browse

So in MY AND IN ONLY MY OPINION, there should be no problem posting the GRF and it's source here. If a Author/Artist disagrees his graphics are removed respecting his wishes.

I just hope in the future this license crap can be avoided. Such an amazing art work, completely wasted, what a disgrace.... (I'm using most of the art in my personal OpenTTD)...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Digitalfox wrote:I just hope in the future this license crap can be avoided. Such an amazing art work, completely wasted, what a disgrace.... (I'm using most of the art in my personal OpenTTD)...
It can be very easily avoided. Just decide up-front what license is going to be used.

To greatly simplify matters, also use exactly one license for everything.

Unfortunately, until people realize sufficiently that these things do need to be decided before, or at the time of posting/publishing, accidents like this will continue to happen.

In its current state, it may be pretty as you can imangine, but the only thing you can do with them is to throw them in the bin :(

@tomas.lizner:
As for posting links to build grfs, you cannot post anything until you know what license it has. After you have found out, you have to follow the license when you publish.

If it was legal to post the result at the time Rubidium wrote the script, the result would have been posted at that time, and you would have been able to just download the result. This is clearly not the case. The conclusion is therefore it is also not legal today.
The only exception would be if the license requirement would have been expired in the mean time, but given expiration takes in the order of 75+ years, I very much doubt that to be the case.

As for trying to contact authors, I am guessing someone has tried that already. Apparently without positive result, or the license mess would have been resolved.
You are welcome to try again, but I don't think you will have much luck.
Freid001
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Freid001 »

How do I download this?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you don't.
Freid001
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Freid001 »

How can I get it for my version of openttd?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can't.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Freid001 wrote:How can I get it for my version of openttd?
I suggest to read the posting you replied to in this thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p1126814

Use for maximum 32bpp fun:
Base set: zBase

Further optional NewGRFs:
pota-ghat landscape
Pineapple Trains
YETI industries
egrvts (road vehicles)

https://wiki.openttd.org/Playing_with_32_bpp_graphics
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-repo/ has been down for some weeks now! :?

I'm not sure who was maintaining it, (jupix?) but anyone who is familiar/responsible for the site could see what's wrong? Thanks...
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Digitalfox wrote:jupix.info/openttd/gfxdev-repo/ has been down for some weeks now! :?

I'm not sure who was maintaining it, (jupix?) but anyone who is familiar/responsible for the site could see what's wrong? Thanks...
I know a long time has passed since my post and even more since this topic was active.

But the the problem remains, the website is down and unfortunately you can't access such amazing art...

Jupix, won't you consider reactivate the site?
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

I'll consider it. I don't have a webserver running atm, so I would have to rebuild one.

The value of the site with its contents is questionable since most of it was merged into the modern graphics packs and afaik the rest won't load in the current ottd game.
#################
queetaraadoo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by queetaraadoo »

Jupix wrote:I'll consider it. I don't have a webserver running atm, so I would have to rebuild one.

The value of the site with its contents is questionable since most of it was merged into the modern graphics packs and afaik the rest won't load in the current ottd game.
Please Jupix, At Least attempts to migrate files to GitHub :bow:
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

queetaraadoo wrote:Please Jupix, At Least attempts to migrate files to GitHub :bow:
Until the licensing mess has been resolved, this is pretty much no-go.

That mess has been around for several years, and people did try to fix it and failed, so I don't really expect that to be ever resolved.

If you really want it to be solved, you should hire someone to find all the missing persons and ask for their permission. However, in that case, it's likely simpler and cheaper to make new graphics instead.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Very much what Alberth said. I tried to sort through all graphics (and likely have everything somewhere on my local hard disc). However it proved to be extremely hard to end up with something coherent from the parts where I could establish licenses such that I was allowed to make use of it. V and andy create more in an evening of their time spent on graphics ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”