32bit Graphics Extra Zoom Patch

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [32bpp] Extra zoom levels ! (revived)

Post by DeletedUser5 »

I've created two same situations. In my opinion resizing in older version was better. All other things was worse, but that was better.
Attachments
old version
old version
Sletfingway Transport, 15th Jan 1950.png (56.45 KiB) Viewed 8731 times
new version
new version
Bentfingford Transport, 2nd Mar 2000.png (66.18 KiB) Viewed 8732 times
bazil14
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bazil14 »

GeekToo wrote:

Doing some antialiasing when zooming out is one of the things on my personal to do list, although the current algorithm is already better than the one in trunk.
soeb the reason its worse is the fact that it doesnt aa in the new version but it did in the old version, but as you can see in the quote is that he is going to make it aa in all the zoom levels :P
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Soeb,
I tried to make the same picture as you did with the old revision, but I did not succeed. So my question is, what tar or png's did you use to make that screenshot, because I could not find it. As said before, my previous revision does not zoom out 32bpp png, so the algorithm can not be worse. It can be ( and I'm sure it is) worse than a Gimp resized z2 png.

Bazil: in your edited post you mentioned a crash with the bus mask, but I do not quite understand it, maybe you can explain a little further?
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

By "old version" I meant revision 9538. Algorithm for resizing as you said don't use AA so I guess that's the problem.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Soeb, you were completely right!
I compared the resizing of the old branch with this patch, and was able to improve it, giving a much nicer result. Now it should be comparable with the old branch resizing( and there's still room for improvement, but I like to take small steps at a time)

Thanks for noticing that, the attachment shows the improved resizing
Attachments
Predinghead Transport, 12th Aug 1983.png
Predinghead Transport, 12th Aug 1983.png (274.5 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

GeekToo.. It seems your new transparency has some minuses too :P
Attachments
yellow_roof.png
yellow_roof.png (92.19 KiB) Viewed 7896 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

to be honest, the transparency of the houses etc when they are set to transparent could be a bit higher to. In my opinion the houses still block the view to much (especially when placing signals and such). Maybe a % slider to increase the transparency could be introduced or so? (I like the resizing by the way, looks a lot better as in the previous version)
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

lordazamath wrote:GeekToo.. It seems your new transparency has some minuses too :P
Yes, I know. I also happens on the grey and white colour company colours. Like I said when presenting the V7 patch, some 8bpp colours do look funny, and for 32bpp the hue needs some work too. But I just presented it as an major improvement to the previous one, and to give the graphics guys the possibility to play with company colour. It's certainly not the last update, and things will be improved. Btw, great looking tropical bank in the blender thread !

@Broodje

Thanks for the feedback, making the transparency adjustable is one of the ideas I did have myself. But for the moment, the transparency shows the 32 bpp possibilities, and more important issues do have my attention at the moment. Which means, I will probably implement it later, but it does not have highest priority.
( I don't mean to send you with a 'kluitje in het riet', I just don't have the time to work on all issues at the same time, and have to set priorities)
broodje
Director
Director

Post by broodje »

I certainly don't feel like being send into the reeds, I can wait (for at least a few hours :twisted:).
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Update V8
-------------

Changelog (compared to V7)
----------------------------------
-synced to trunk revision 12030
-fixed plane shadows ( I made the shadows a little darker than the trunk shadows, because I think that complies better with the Blender lighting setup, which seems to throw rather dark shadows. Anyone, with more talent for graphics than me (that would be approximately everybody :D ), is requested to provide some feedback on whether it should be even darker or not).
-improved resizing algorithm for zooming out (see Soebs posts above).

--
I did not receive much feedback on the company colour implementation. So, I think I did my share for the company colours, it's time to post some nice vehicles or buildings with CC. They don't have to be perfect, just post those screenshots, tars and pngs, be open minded, and have the guts to learn from the feedback. We can all learn from the mistakes in graphics and code.
Attachments
32bpp_12030_v8.diff
(81.71 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Funwell Transport, 20th Jun 1981.png
Funwell Transport, 20th Jun 1981.png (223.62 KiB) Viewed 7354 times
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

It is extremely difficult to read the patch, due to the numerous commented code (your code, in fact), the code style problems, the use of space instead of tabs, etc etc...
It is a shame, since you are indeed making progress.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Yeah!, nice work.

In terms of the shadows, I think that's a good idea, and considering your modest claims, in relation to your artwork, you do have a keen eye. Co-incidentally I had been experimenting with shadows this evening/night for vehicles, and I rendered them at 6.5, but I thought they were to dark, so was going to set them down to 0.5. (what the numbers mean doesn't really matter). The attached is the shadow of the plane at 0.65 as I had it, which if reduced, in photoshop, to 77% fits your shadow, which is the same difference as 0.65 is to 0.5, which is the tone I picked (but am yet to render). Therefore I agree with your choice!
Attachments
test.png
test.png (46.46 KiB) Viewed 7224 times
Ben
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

belugas wrote:It is extremely difficult to read the patch, due to the numerous commented code (your code, in fact), the code style problems, the use of space instead of tabs, etc etc...
I'm aware of that, that's why I wrote the following in the first post:
-code needs some cleaning up (like commented debug statements).

But you're absolutely right, and I will spend some time on this nice task soon :( . That'll teach me to start hacking before reading the standards. When I started this, I thought it would be a little patch, and I did not realize it would become what it is now, with so many response to it. So I guess it's about time to bring it to the next level of quality.
belugas wrote: It is a shame, since you are indeed making progress.
Thanks

@Ben,

OK, then the shadows will stay on this darkness-value.
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

GeekToo - really good work!!!
Can someone put here win binary, thanks ;)
Sorry for my very bad English!!! :(
I am 3dsmax artist.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Here you go
Attachments
openttd_v8.zip
Windows binaries
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Thanks for latest binaries. :D
lordazamath wrote:GeekToo.. It seems your new transparency has some minuses too :P
Might a new grf with the color you prefer instead of yellow do the job? Can you give it a try?

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Thanks for that GeekToo.

For the problem with the stations, I just made a 1x1 pixel .png which is fully transparent. It replaces the file so nothing appears.
Ben
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Maybe a bit late...
Great work on that GeekToo. Now shadows look normal.
Also resizing graphics for zoom out now is as it should be and as you said. Thanks for spending time on writing really great patch. I hope it'll get into trunk after fixing all problems.
bazil14
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bazil14 »

Greta work :wink: ps about the industrys not rezising when you zoom out from normal zoom, ive relised its all the 8bbp sprites messing up not just the industries, otherwise great work, if this does get implimented into trunk; you might want a option to turn it off or on because people who only play with 8bpp probely will get annoyed by constanly zooming in to far.

-Bazil14
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Think I have a bug here. If you make 2 trains crash when at least 1 of the trains has some of it's parts in the depot the game crashes when the crashed trains should vanish.

Here is the saved game I was checking it out with.
Attachments
crashtest.sav
(11.89 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Ben

Return to “Graphics Development”