North American City Set v0.1c [2 Jan 2008] - ** Bug Fix **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: North American City Set v0.1a [25 Dec 2007] - Released !!

Post by XeryusTC »

All I can say is this: *drool @ gfx*

And I mean it!

*plays the next game of OTTD with these buildings*
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Axlrose wrote: - Perhaps I am misreading how to perform the snow aspects. The text file included with the set seems vague with the proper set-up. The player can set the snow level then can set the option of when it might snow? Thus in a temperate setting, if I wanted the snow level at level 1 and an arctic winter, would I set the parameters as 1 (space) 132? I attempted this and the tourist aspect was added. Then when I tried 1132, there was still no snow (global warming perhaps?)... Again, perhaps I am drinking one too many drinks at the moment.....
There are three parameters, in order - 1.Snowline 2.Tourist 3.Language
So your settings should look something like:
newgrf\NACityw.grf 132 1 0
This will give you
132 - lots of snow during the winter months, up to level 7 in summer, down to level 3 in winter (arctic winter),
1 - plus the tourist support if you do not have another tourist set installed,
0 - English or the language to which you have set TTDX.
For snow at level 1, this will be permanent - not seasonal - the setting is:
newgrf\NACityw.grf 1 1 0
where the first parameter is the snowline as measured from sea level.
will future additions have the option of food as an accepted cargo? Short of my warehouse (which is poor next to this set), the food - though not a part of a true temperate set, seems to be a lacking aspect.
If there is a food plant in your game, then the houses will accept food. I have had no problems with this. Move the query tool, the"?" over a house and click to see what the house accepts. For a house, you may see something like "food 1/8". You need a total of 8 houses (8 * 1/8) within a nearby station's catchment area for that station to accept food. For a larger building (2 or more tiles), you need to do this for each tile. Count only those tiles that fall within a station's catchment area.

I hope this helps.
fjb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fjb »

Hi,

the pictures are looking great, but the set seams not to run under OpenTTD. It simply gets not activated without saying why.
Regards
Frank
MrMox
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MrMox »

I have the same problem: With the latest version (r11689) the set stays deactivated. With the version from December 2nd (r11557) the set is activated, but I never saw any of the buildings in the game :(
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Many thanks for all the nice comments; we are glad you like the set and are very happy to have taken on the project. With that sort of response in just 24 hours there surely will be an encore ...

To clarify ...
... snowline height, seasonally changing ...
There are 2 ways of having snow :

a) a permanent snowline, it stays at the specified level throughout the game; for this you choose a level from 1 [near sea level) to 15 [mountain tops]
b) a seasonally changing snowline, with these you have a choice of 4 scenarios; depending on choice of scenario you set the parameter to 129 .. 132.

Note: This feature is not available in OpenTTD; OpenTTD does not have snow in temperate or seasonally changing yet. For snowy landscapes, you'll need to play an arctic game..
... cargo acceptance of buildings ...
The following cargo types are accepted by NA City buildings regardless of climate : passengers, mail, goods and food, as well as tourists. However, the cargo must be present in the game. You need a food industry chain in a temperate game in order for the buildings to accept food. The same goes for tourists; you'll need either a cargo/industry set that provides tourists (e.g. ECS) or you can turn on the Tourist Industry of NA City (parameter 2, see guide).
... NA City in OpenTTD ...
I've had no problems with the set; make sure you have done the following :

. added NACity.grf to \DATA directory.
. activated the set in NEWGRF settings window, either from the title screen or from within the game. If you'd like to have the set working with an older saved game, you must add and activate the set from within the loaded saved game (see NEWGRF settings window).
. made sure the flag is green. You need to check that from within the game, not on the title screen.

It has occurred, that sets show a red flag, or DISABLED in red, without giving a clue what is wrong. Finding the problem is like the verbal needle in the haystack. In this case OpenTTD has problems with a sprite, but won't tell us which one or what kind of problem. Lodge a bug report with OpenTTD, unless devs tell us what is wrong, I cannot help.

I have tested NA City with r11451 successfully with and without ttrsv3 activated. With saved games, you need to be patient, sometimes it will take a fair while for buildings to appear.

Please note, some buildings won't appear early in the game, there is a year of introduction. Further some buildings require the town/city to be of a certain size (town zones) or have a minimum population before they are being built. Check the User Guide for specifications.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

OzTransLtd wrote:It has occurred, that sets show a red flag, or DISABLED in red, without giving a clue what is wrong. Finding the problem is like the verbal needle in the haystack. In this case OpenTTD has problems with a sprite, but won't tell us which one or what kind of problem. Lodge a bug report with OpenTTD, unless devs tell us what is wrong, I cannot help.
Sprite number 16 says, in human readable English, the following: skip all sprites if the OpenTTD version is more than 0.6-r11451.

By the way, starting OpenTTD from the console with -d grf=2 as parameter will show you quite a lot of debugging information about the NewGRF (you can make the number higher, but that will flood even more). Anyway, it would have shown that your NewGRF was skipping 0 (i.e. all) sprites 'on' sprite number 16.

dbg: [grf] [newgrfs/NACityw.grf:16] SkipIf: Skipping 0 sprites, test was true
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Rubidium wrote:Sprite number 16 says, in human readable English, the following: skip all sprites if the OpenTTD version is more than 0.6-r11451. ...
My apologies to OpenTTD players and developers ... what a blunder. That should of course have been 'less than ...' Thank you, too, for the hint on debugging.

OpenTTD players may download an update (v0.1b) shortly; TTDPatch players are not affected.
propermike
Engineer
Engineer

Post by propermike »

OzTransLtd wrote:
Rubidium wrote:Sprite number 16 says, in human readable English, the following: skip all sprites if the OpenTTD version is more than 0.6-r11451. ...
My apologies to OpenTTD players and developers ... what a blunder. That should of course have been 'less than ...' Thank you, too, for the hint on debugging.

OpenTTD players may download an update (v0.1b) shortly; TTDPatch players are not affected.

That explains A LOT...thought I was going crazy.
Great work on those buildings :))
napocram
Engineer
Engineer

Re: North American City Set v0.1b [26 Dec 2007] - Released !!

Post by napocram »

Fantastic job you guy!!! :P

this set is simply irresistible; got to abbandon my current project and start a new game in NA! :D

Thank you very much and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

In my games, I use Michael's old food processing plant as a source of food for the world and fish in the oceans. With past trials of graphics, his set has caused a bit of a problem - especially while attempting to use George's ECS expansion (conflict of interests). With the hopeful option of continued use of Michael's graphic set, does this city set recognize Michael's set as a food plant? I waited a few game years to pass and I could not find a house (or any other building) that would accept food. The only accepted cargo was mail and passengers.

Sorry for being a pain about this issue. :oops:

I'll include my newgrf list as a reference.
Attachments
newgrfw.cfg
(574 Bytes) Downloaded 273 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Axlrose wrote:In my games, I use Michael's old food processing plant as a source of food for the world and fish in the oceans. With past trials of graphics, his set has caused a bit of a problem - especially while attempting to use George's ECS expansion (conflict of interests). With the hopeful option of continued use of Michael's graphic set, does this city set recognize Michael's set as a food plant? I waited a few game years to pass and I could not find a house (or any other building) that would accept food. The only accepted cargo was mail and passengers.

Sorry for being a pain about this issue. :oops:

I'll include my newgrf list as a reference.
Nothing to apologize for ... your question is valid.
To support your problem, I just tested NACities with New Cargoes and nothing else and indeed only the default TTDX houses accept food.
MB's New Cargoes and George's ECS use two different cargo systems and are not compatible. You must use one or the other, but not both.
The NA Cities set will recognize George's food. It will also recognize food produced in Arctic and Tropic climates.
If there was a set that could take Arctic food and/or Tropic food and make it available in Temperate, then there would be no problem. Unfortunately such a set is not yet available.
MB's New Cargo Set modifies the default TTDX temperate houses to accept food provided by MB's food plant. Without getting into technicalities, I suspect that this is not the same food as provided by the Arctic and Tropic climates.
I am sure that OzTransLtd and Michale Blunck will be able to shed more light on this issue.
In the meanwhile, all I can recommend is to use George's ECS Industries.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Axlrose wrote: ... food ain't food anymore ...
Unfortunately, newcargow.grf does not conform to today's cargo/industry standards; it would require an overhaul to graphics version 7, adding cargo labels and probably a cargo translation table. That TTD 'original' houses are accepting NewCargo-Food is of course still working, but those buildings are phased out and replaced with NA City buildings and therefore that food won't be accepted.

NA City is compatible with any food processing industry, as long as it is either the TTD Food Processing Plant (arctic/tropical), or an industry/cargo set, that defines food with cargo label 'FOOD'; George's ECS is one of them. ECS and NewCargo are not compatible with eachother for the same reason; i.e. food ain't food.

BTW, looking at your newgrf.cfg : you can remove NABS.grf, all buildings in NABS are now included in NA City. You may also want to replace USRoads with NARoads; there is nothing wrong with USRoads, but you are missing out on bus stops, the 2 generation road system and a few more little things.

We do have a newly developed and revised industry/cargo set (currently part of Canadian Trains Set v0.3, but not available publicly); this one is able to make any TTD 'original' industry/cargo available in all other climates. Industry chains are : iron ore/steel into arctic, food and paper into temperate and copper into arctic and temperate. May be that could be of interest to you, I would have to release that as a separate set though.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

There is a bug or something. [OpenTTD] If I select the show area information in Open and click on some new building, then it gets assertion error. Actually I didn't find it, but I checked it out :) The original thread is here http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 57#p651057
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lordazamath wrote:If I select the show area information in Open and click on some new building, then it gets assertion error. ...
Thank you for raising it; it's fixable in NA City, but it looks to be a bug in OpenTTD. For explanation see here.
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

I'll have to work on this problem...

I followed your advice Oz and added / removed graphic sets (attached the latest newgrf file). Either George's set does not allow a smooth inclusion into a present game or perhaps having preexisting aspects of that game still conflict with George's set. That is, my current game has the food processing plant of old (newcargo) with a new cannery next to it to accept all the fish trains I had coming to the old plant. Yet the houses still will not begin accepting food. Thus I have to replace all the old industries with George's industries, begin a whole new game, or give up the hope of having a food industry in temperate settings.

Unless I am missing something still, I seem to be going in square circles.
Attachments
newgrfw.cfg
(603 Bytes) Downloaded 178 times
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

OzTransLtd wrote:Thank you for raising it; it's fixable in NA City, but it looks to be a bug in OpenTTD. For explanation see here.
It'll be fixed in the next beta / release, so there's no need to change NA City. :-)
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Axlrose wrote: ... problems with new industries ...
"Try "Cht: PurgeIndustries" and "Cht: ReloadIndustries" cheats in that order (the Patch Manual has more info on these). This should remove all industries, that were built via NewCargo.grf.

After that you need to build the new industries (from the Fund New Industry menu), because you use a saved game. ECS will have food and fish, but no beer.

Paperw.grf is also an old industry/cargo set. You may have to replace that one with the ECS Wood vector.

If that fails, send me your saved game with ttdpatch.cfg; I'll see what I can do.
Maedhros wrote: ... It'll be fixed in the next beta / release, so there's no need to change NA City ...
Thank you.
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

:shock:

This homes that you have built are made of love,
Hope and happiness, hard grit and tears,
All the strength of will a heart can move,
Now ready to enfold us many years.
Know that we are grateful for the gift
You've given us by working day and night.
Over us though storms and trouble drift,
Under this roofs all is good and right.
:wink:

Wow!!!

Thank You Oz and lifeblood, wallyweb and OzTransLtd, Skidd13 and Aegir!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
E pur si muove!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Axlrose wrote:I'll have to work on this problem...
Send me a PM if you have any problems with OzTransLtd's suggestion and I'll walk you through the process. Your game CAN be saved. :D
Carlo Ghega wrote:... the poem ...
You've brought me to tears. :cry:
Mind you, they are tears of joy. :lol:
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

OzTransLtd and everybody else who contributed to this set, what an amazing work :D

But what about the US Roads, the work of skidd on new US headquarters and US bridges, will they in the future be part of this set :?:

Return to “Graphics Development”