North American City Set v0.1c [2 Jan 2008] - ** Bug Fix **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: North American City Set v0.1b [26 Dec 2007] - Released !!

Post by krtaylor »

I'm travelling and can't play with this ATM, but it looks great. Do you want it posted on the US Set site? And the last post has some good questions, to which I'll add another - does this also include your city stations? Or are those separate?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Digitalfox wrote:... what about the US Roads, the work of skidd on new US headquarters and US bridges, will they in the future be part of this set ?
Not part of NA City itself, but fully compatible with it; i.e. if there is a compatibility issue, with North American/Canadian sets, then we will make sure things do match, but individual sets will remain separate.

Just to clarify (a bit OT) :

US Roads and US HQs by skidd13 have been merged into NA Roads; US or better NA Bridges is very much work-in-progress.

[quote=""krtaylor"] ... does this also include your city stations? ... [/quote]
What city stations ? The Canadian Stations Set is the only stations set I'm involved with.

Currently the suite of American/Canadian graphic sets contains the following :

. Canadian Stations Set
. Canadian Trains Set
. North American Roads Set (has replaced US Roads and US HQs)
. North American City Set (has replaced NABS)

. Canadian Town Names (nearly done)
. North American Bridges Set (WIP)

Each of these sets are fully independent; you may play with all of them or just one, but all are fully compatible with each other.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Oz Trans, don't forget to add the American Transition Trainset to that suite of North American graphic sets.

I believe the City Stations to which KRTaylor is talking about are Oz's City Stations, which were drawn many a year ago and never coded. I also believe that people are confusing Oz with OzTransLtd. This was bound to happen once the two were involved in the same project. I suggest one switches the Oz to Aus. :wink:
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

The PurgeIndustries and ReloadIndustries cheats worked quite well. But before I utilize them in full, I will have to follow my current food trains and wait until they are completely unloaded since "food ain't food" will strike them down into having an unknown commodity. But unfortunately, my game becomes ~broken~ when I use aspects of George's ECS industries. After hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of games played, I prefer to play in a sandbox mode. I do not have competition and I like to (attempt to) build elaborate designs to draw various industries across the map to one particular spot. My three extensive fishing holes / train layouts are silent since the fish swam away and ten million spent did not return them back to the same spot (actually nothing was found). My original game industries suddenly became something new: farm became a fishing hole, sawmill became a farm, steel mill became a textile plant. And the production levels being low removing the those same industries outright is against the sandbox mode - rendering my layouts for naught even further. But these complaints per se are not for this thread.

At least the houses accept food now!!! Too bad my food network spoiled...
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:... don't forget to add the American Transition Trainset to that suite of North American graphic sets.
Yes, there are a few more, apart from the US Trains set, like signals and stations. But we cannot guarantee their compatibility; e.g. the Canadian Trains Set is not compatible with the US Trains set. That is why I haven't listed them.
... one switches the Oz to Aus. ...
I like my name ...
Axlrose wrote: ... At least the houses accept food now!!! Too bad my food network spoiled...
I'm sorry you have so much trouble with it. How about a new game ... just wait for wallyweb, is is very good to get those industries in order ...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Axlrose wrote:The PurgeIndustries and ReloadIndustries cheats worked quite well. But before I utilize them in full, I will have to follow my current food trains and wait until they are completely unloaded since "food ain't food" will strike them down into having an unknown commodity.
Send them to the nearest depot and trash those boxcars and reefers. If you can't deliver the stuff, its just going to rot anyways.
But unfortunately, my game becomes ~broken~ when I use aspects of George's ECS industries. After hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of games played, I prefer to play in a sandbox mode. I do not have competition and I like to (attempt to) build elaborate designs to draw various industries across the map to one particular spot. My three extensive fishing holes / train layouts are silent since the fish swam away and ten million spent did not return them back to the same spot (actually nothing was found). My original game industries suddenly became something new: farm became a fishing hole, sawmill became a farm, steel mill became a textile plant. And the production levels being low removing the those same industries outright is against the sandbox mode - rendering my layouts for naught even further.
If I understand you correctly you are having problems reestablishing your resource industries. I also play in a sandbox mode with no competitors so I think we're on the same wavelength here. Try this (if you haven't already, of course :wink: ) - Save your game and exit to the start screen and go back in on Create Scenario mode. Load the game you just saved and build your heart away on those resource industries. If you run out of money, just do a cht: money x where x is the money you need. Need a realism excuse for this? Think of it as your congress critter getting you a government grant because you contributed to his last reelection campaign. :wink: When you are done, hold down your Ctrl key and don't let go while you open the save menu. The "Load Game" entry will have changed to "Save Game" (Don't let go of the Ctrl key until you've clicked on "Save Game"). Now get the heck out of there before the congress critter realizes you just snowed him and get back into playing your game. With any luck you'll still have some of those government tax-free dollars in your bank account. :mrgreen:
But these complaints per se are not for this thread.
Shsh ... its all perfectly legal until a moderator butts in and this issue all started because you wanted some nice buildings anyways.
At least the houses accept food now!!! Too bad my food network spoiled...
If our little exercise didn't do it for you, maybe its time to vote for Ron Paul :lol: :lol:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

lifeblood wrote:I believe the City Stations to which KRTaylor is talking about are Oz's City Stations, which were drawn many a year ago and never coded.
Good point. Is there any possibility that these could be combined?

Also, where is the Canadian station set? I looked on DanMacK's link where the Canadian trains are, but couldn't find them. I seem to have a very early test set of the city stations, but they don't work terribly well.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Fantastic stuff, guys. I'm itching to play a new game of TTD now... shame about all these exams coming up!
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Heya, gang! Sorry for the late reply, but with the holidays, I've been busy traveling, last minute shopping (Ugh!), and partying waaaay too much. It's good to see that this little set has been so well received! :] Great work on the coding OzTrans, and thanks as always for your contributions lifeblood. I do think that we need some more suburban buildings. I'll just pile that onto my list of things to do. :P

As far as my City Stations go, Oracle and I were collaborating on that many moons ago. The Toronto Union Station was finished, and we began to work on the Grand Central Terminal. Oracle then went to university, and the set was put on permanent hiatus. I still have the sprites and the working grfs, and I would love to get that up and running again. The problem is I have a whole bunch of stuff going right now with very limited time. :(

Cheers, and a very Happy New Year!
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

krtaylor wrote: ... where is the Canadian station set? ...
Here. But in any case it's ...

Image ; and that is always your friend.
... all those various stations from Toronto Union to Grand Central ...
First to the state of affairs with the Canadian Stations Set; it has become extremely complex, is very difficult to handle nowadays. It just needs a complete rewrite; but that is very far from my mind. There are other sets that have more urgency to be completed, e.g. Canadian Trains Set.

However, I could just handle a few more station buildings ... we could add Toronto Union station to CanStn and all the others (US) would go into a new US Passenger Stations Set, just station buildings for starters. Do they have snowy variants ? That would be a must.

@Oz : In your own time, whenever you have them ready, you may just pass them to me for consideration. I'm sure we can find your quality of work a home ...
Oz wrote: ... Great work on the coding OzTrans, ... I do think that we need some more suburban buildings.
Thank you; yes we do need more buildings for the suburban fringe; next we will be preparing a strategy plan for NA City; or a list of new buildings and features ...
Carlo Ghega
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Carlo Ghega »

wallyweb wrote:
Carlo Ghega wrote:... the poem ...
You've brought me to tears. :cry:
Mind you, they are tears of joy. :lol:
:D Glad You like it!

Happy new year to You,

Carlo
E pur si muove!
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

Re: Wallyweb...

I appreciate the help you and others have given to me to get my games up to date. Unfortunately, the scenario editor will not allow me to reconstruct my saved games into a state of pre-modernization. In an effort to create a challenging graphical set, a particular certain graphical set *coughECScough* does not allow certain liberties. For example, fishing holes can not be placed by the player - thus I need to wait. And how some distant relatives of mine up in the Cheese-Head state survived having both crops (farm) and livestock (livestock farm) right next to each other without causing a placement conflict is beyond me.

Again, I appreciated all the help. But when I spent the past x weeks attempting to ~fix~ this game instead of just playing, I have gotten too aggravated and need to take some time away from it. Please continue to improve your graphical sets - don't let my setback be a downer.

*closes down the game...
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Wonderful work! May I request one more param? I'd like to ask a param to disable default houses, like TTRS3 has. Thank you!
Image Image Image Image
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

George wrote:... I'd like to ask a param to disable default houses, like TTRS3 has. ...
Currently the set is too small to warrant that; once we have a replacement building for every TTD 'original' one there shouldn't be any TTD buildings shown anyway. But we will consider a parameter, thank you for the suggestion.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

OzTransLtd wrote:
George wrote:... I'd like to ask a param to disable default houses, like TTRS3 has. ...
Currently the set is too small to warrant that; once we have a replacement building for every TTD 'original' one there shouldn't be any TTD buildings shown anyway. But we will consider a parameter, thank you for the suggestion.
Well, may I give some more suggestions?
TTRS hotels generates lass than 100 tourists, TTRS huge hotel generates as much tourists as NACS small hotel do. I think amount of tourists produced by NACS hotels should be divided by 3 or 4.
Image Image Image Image
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

George wrote:... may I give some more suggestions?
You may indeed, we welcome all suggestions and comments.
... TTRS hotels generates lass than 100 tourists, TTRS huge hotel generates as much tourists as NACS small hotel do. I think amount of tourists produced by NACS hotels should be divided by 3 or 4.
The settings of 320 and 1,000 respectively have been chosen at random; if playing suggests other values, we will be happy to adopt them. May be let the player choose how many tourists should be produced. Also, you need to consider that the 'Grand Hotel' won't be built until the population has reached 3,000, then it is limited to 1 per city until the population reaches 15,000; after that a limit of 2 per city applies.

All those population numbers, limits on number of same type buildings and amount of passengers/tourists produced are very much up for discussion.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

OzTransLtd wrote:
... TTRS hotels generates lass than 100 tourists, TTRS huge hotel generates as much tourists as NACS small hotel do. I think amount of tourists produced by NACS hotels should be divided by 3 or 4.
The settings of 320 and 1,000 respectively have been chosen at random; if playing suggests other values, we will be happy to adopt them.
My values came from the map size of 256 x 256, 9 tourists centres and the idea that most tourists travel from hotels to tourist centres and back. So there is a limit of hotels in TTRS per map.
This does not take the new map sizes into account, but I think map size should specify the number of hotels. 100 hotels on 256x256 map is more than enough, IMHO.
OzTransLtd wrote:May be let the player choose how many tourists should be produced. Also, you need to consider that the 'Grand Hotel' won't be built until the population has reached 3,000, then it is limited to 1 per city until the population reaches 15,000; after that a limit of 2 per city applies.
While Hotel Pribaltiskaya requires population above 4096, only 1 per town and only 3 per map, build only after 1978. It has production of 336 instead of 1000, but even this is really much. And it has 4 tiles while Grand Hotel has only 2. So I suggest to decrease all the productions by 4, add a limit of 1 Grand Hotel per town regardless town size, add 3 hotels per 65536 map tiles limit.
I think now the production levels should be at least 'near' values from TTRS, which are documented here http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php ... TRS3Hotels
OzTransLtd wrote:All those population numbers, limits on number of same type buildings and amount of passengers/tourists produced are very much up for discussion.
I made several test games for tourists and tourist industries, and I think that I have achieved some balance between the profitability of tourists and amount of tourists on the map. I think the selected values are near the top of usable range. I think we may speak about decreasing values (in TTRS) but increasing them seem to change game balance.
Image Image Image Image
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

George wrote: ... I made several test games for tourists and tourist industries, and I think that I have achieved some balance between the profitability of tourists and amount of tourists on the map. ...
Thank you for your clarification; I shall take your experience with tourist industry into account for the next release.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: North American City Set v0.1c [2 Jan 2008] - ** Bug Fix **

Post by OzTrans »

... hotels did not 'produce' tourists' ...
a rather nasty bug has been discovered and fixed ...

download in the usual location, post #2 ...
L0ki
Engineer
Engineer

Re: North American City Set v0.1c [2 Jan 2008] - ** Bug Fix **

Post by L0ki »

hello!

i am very new here and already read all the info threads, but i still got a problem to get a lot of building set grfs working. i am playing with OTT 0.5.3 and the NA City Set is listed in my grf box. but when i choose it nothing happens. I waited a short time, but over 5 years no building has changed. What to do?

sorry for my bad english, i am from germany :lol:

Return to “Graphics Development”