North American City Set v0.1c [2 Jan 2008] - ** Bug Fix **

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: North American City Set v0.1c [2 Jan 2008] - ** Bug Fix **

Post by OzTrans »

Oz wrote:... I finished up the Beaux Arts bank, ...
Splendid, as usual ...
... I can work on some snow and construction stages for ...
Or, may be you could give Toronto Union a little bit of snow. BTW, the station building and platforms will be constructable (coded) separately; very much like Pacific Central. Although, I don't think there is a need to modify the sprites.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'm not sure if I ever asked before, but did you want this set posted on the US Set website?
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

krtaylor wrote:I'm not sure if I ever asked before, but did you want this set posted on the US Set website?
You did ask; but for the time being we prefer that this set be available for download from this topic only.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK, well, just lemme know when you're ready.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Here's my Donut shop, feel free to add it in :) It needs some snow though.
Attachments
Donut shop looking suspiciously like a Tim Hortons
Donut shop looking suspiciously like a Tim Hortons
TimHortons.png (5.34 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DanMacK wrote:Here's my Donut shop, feel free to add it in :) It needs some snow though.
And while you're getting him his snow I'll have an extra large double double and a blueberry fritter please. Oh! Look! I rolled up the rim to win and I won an invitation to please play again. :mrgreen:
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

So I've been working on the banks for the set that lifeblood graciously handed off to me due to a busy real-life schedule. They are roughly 50% his and 50% mine. Before I started working on the reverse views, I was hoping to get some helpful feedback. In particular, what do you guys think of the diamond and coin symbol that will appear in the invisible mode? And, do you like the 'ttd Bank' sign on the modern large bank?

Dan: Lovin' the Tim Horton's! 8) I've heard great things about them, but unfortunately, we only have Dunkin' Donuts in Boston. :P

OzTrans: Pray tell (via PM if you'd like), what do you have up your sleeve for the Toronto Union station?

Cheers!
Attachments
Large Banks Ver1.png
Large Banks Ver1.png (44.83 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
Small Banks Ver1.png
Small Banks Ver1.png (22.87 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Oz wrote:... what do you guys think of the diamond and coin symbol that will appear in the invisible mode?
My bank refuses to buy my diamonds. How about a light green "$" and the coin?
And, do you like the 'ttd Bank' sign on the modern large bank?
Nice. How soon can I open an account? 8)
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Oz wrote:... small and large ...
Great ... you are aware, that the large ones still need to be cut up into 1x1 tiles. As for the diamonds, they will of course look different in transparent mode as they will be dimmed. We may have to see that first before having an opinion, but in any case a symbol would be better than writing the word 'bank'.

BTW, the financial sector buildings will be included in the set as :

a) a city building, accepting valuables/gold/diamonds and producing valuables (depending on climate).
b) an industry, doing the same.

It will be up to the player, whether they want a) or b) or both.
... Toronto Union ...
see here.
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Oz, looking very nice. However, I must say that the "ttd Bank" doesn't look so good.

Do you want me to split them into sprites?
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Oz, there is a slight problem. The colours in the sprite sheets you posted have been converted. While the colours appear the same, they do not match the specific properties of the TTD colour pallet. Where did this go wrong? Is there a way to switch it back, or do I need to manually replace every colour?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I'm not sure if I've ever had that particular problem, but I usually open the PCX file in GIMP, and copy the new sprites into it. If any color conversion happened to be needed, I would expect GIMP to deal with it.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote:... While the colours appear the same, they do not match the specific properties of the TTD colour pallet. ...
Happens to me all the time; just open a good .pcx or .png, a screenshot works too. Clear everything, then copy+paste the sprites into it. Colours will then be mapped correctly to the palette.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Or, if your painting program can store/load palettes separately, just apply a correct palette to the picture. Paintshop Pro works quite good in this respect. If you start with a TTD palette and replace all special colors with background blue and save as a new palette, it is easy to apply this to any picture.
pseudoprometheus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pseudoprometheus »

I've been using this City Set for a few days so far and I have to say ... I'm in love! :bow: I absolutely cannot wait for the next release.
Hm?
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for the kind words. I am always happy to see people enjoying the fruits of our collective labour, so to speak.

As for the next version, I regret to inform you that it may be a bit of a wait. However, with all releases coming from North America, it will be well worth the wait. :)
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Hello

Is there a switch for disabling default houses in TTDPatch, because If I use that nice NewGRF in OTTD, I will also have some default houses too. TTRS has a parameter to switch off default houses. I do not see such a parameter in that GRF but the screens you have in front are without. So I assume, you can disable them over patch switches?

Else I would like to suggest a parameter for disabling those. (like TTRS)

Greets
Ammler
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Ammler wrote:... Is there a switch for disabling default houses ...
No, there is no switch yet. NACity is still too small to warrant that; once we have replacements for all TTD buildings the TTD 'original' ones will be gone.

The new inner city office blocks start to appear in 1940, but if you have a well advanced game in the late 30's you will have a lot of TTD 'original' office buildings and in very late games, some of the more modern TTD 'original' buildings start to appear.

We are aware of the issue and are working on it to get more buildings in.
Ar4i
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ar4i »

It seems this set affects city population by a pretty large magnitude. After I've enabled it in a running game my cities have grown more than twice for the next few years. Now all those stations and airports are crowded and my biggest city has grown from 11000 to 27000 for just 2-3 years. Is this an intended effect or some balancing is needed?
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Ar4i wrote:It seems this set affects city population by a pretty large magnitude. ...
Yes, it does and that was not intentional. I've discovered that myself about 3 weeks ago and we are going to reduce those population numbers by at least one third for starters in the next update.

Currently the population increases to about 2.5 times once the office blocks come into being and that is clearly too high.

Return to “Graphics Development”