[Big Project][32bpp] BrickLand Climate

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

knedle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by knedle »

Oh!
When I was a kid I loved to play with Lego bricks, I'm looking formward to play with them once more... however this time in OpenTTD!
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

another update, i finished all the base tiles, and i tried to do some light/shadow effects (maybe is better to leave it for somebody better than me at drawing :P)
Attachments
terrain_tiles.png
terrain_tiles.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Don't be too modest, looks pretty good to me.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

You are a good artist. Shading on slopes is very nice. So you are capable of doing rest and not need other artists assistance. :wink:

I post 2 hacks.
A
1. Notice that a wrong pixel slipped into the flat tile (red circle) :)
2. My personal choice about sun direction is East. OK many say correct is NE, but E works better for me when I draw. So I adjusted brightness on east wall of 'button' as I did in previous posted image (orange circle). Maybe I overdid it, but shifting dark-shadow 1 nore pixel right makes it look ugly.
B
What I proposed about 2 blocks used for coast. Quick hack sorry if yellow colors not match with ones you used in your sprites.
Attachments
coast_attempt.png
coast_attempt.png (887 Bytes) Viewed 5649 times
light_direction_suggestion.png
light_direction_suggestion.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
Last edited by athanasios on 20 Jun 2007 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

oops, my hand slip when i had to delete some construction lines :P
i'll fix it this evening, thanks for the spotting ;)

your stud looks very cool, but i kept it simple to not become mad at placements, as i can't see the difference of the green paints i used, at least for the borders

once i'll finish all the tiles, i'll look for a good graphic artist to make it more good looking
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

this is my kind of graphics drawing!

if you want any assistance ;P

don't expect anything too complex though, i have a lot of projects to do, but i kinda like doing these kinds of "Pixel Art" drawings.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

athanasios wrote:You are a good artist. Shading on slopes is very nice. So you are capable of doing rest and not need other artists assistance. :wink:

I post 2 hacks.
A
1. Notice that a wrong pixel slipped into the flat tile (red circle) :)
2. My personal choice about sun direction is East. OK many say correct is SE, but E works better for me when I draw. So I adjusted brightness on east wall of 'button' as I did in previous posted image (orange circle). Maybe I overdid it, but shifting dark-shadow 1 nore pixel right makes it look ugly.
B
What I proposed about 2 blocks used for coast. Quick hack sorry if yellow colors not match with ones you used in your sprites.
I thought light came from the sky, not from the ground... so it's NE.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Desolator wrote:I thought light came from the sky, not from the ground... so it's NE.
:oops: . I wanted to write NE. My fault. Thanks for spotting it. I will edit my post and correct it. By the way some may prefer SE but I do not agree.

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

here is the first set of tiles, 5 more to go :)
once i'll finish the tiles, i'll start with tracks and roads

@bobingabout, than you for your help, i might need help for the light/shadows and colors, if you want, you can work on the attached ones
Attachments
terrain_tiles.png
terrain_tiles.png (7.46 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
trgtr.zip
(54.79 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I wonder what you have in mind for roads. I like original ones with yellow and red lines next to the pavement, but pavement itself is horrible. Actually the road tiles of Toyland are the only ones that look nice. The rest is horrible. So they will resemble Lego bricks or they will be flat? I prefer flat as it will look rather odd to have those bumps on the road. Toyland passengers will suffer too much in such roads. :lol:

T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

The lego roads are smooth. At least on the special road tiles you can get.
Attachments
Special road tiles
Special road tiles
lego road.jpg (21.28 KiB) Viewed 5224 times
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

yes, i thought to keep only the studs on the sides and make the roads smooth, like the original roads, but with the studs a little bigger :P

about the colors, i don't know, i think i'll finish the landscape first
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

You really should add x_offs and y_offs in the PNGs, so we can test them in-game :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i must have a working pngcodec first :)
Leviath.NL
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Leviath.NL »

where can I find information on these offsets? I'm willing to give a shot at it.

edit.
Just checked out pngcodec let's take a look at that.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Wolf01 wrote:i must have a working pngcodec first :)
You can compile it very simple :) But okay, the result is nice, just depth perception is rather hard.... here is a nice in-game image.
Attachments
Lego Land!!
Lego Land!!
lego1.png (58.78 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Ben_K wrote:Also... Anders has some link to a brick design program in his signature. Might be worth seeing if he can be of use.
My brother uses LDRAW a lot, and he's in LEGO communities, so he probably knows what's best.

Installation guide can be found here
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i use it too, with mlcad and ldview to make pictures of my creations :)
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

What an awesome thread!!! Thank you Wolf01 for the idea and all your hard work.

I was a major LEGO addict as a child- still have a suitcase full.

Here is a link to some LEGO rail stuff:

http://shop.vendio.com/chowren83/category/3934/

I only had a few sections of straight rail. The old original 4.5v motor made a nice engine, especially with the larger wheels used as drivers.

Standard gauge for LEGO trains was four "bumps" between the rails, which allowed the old 2x4 (standard brick size) axle blocks to be used on the wagons. Unfortunately in this scale a frieght lorry is roughly 6x18 bumps, and a steam locomotive would be HUGE.
I think the train scale would need to use the 2x2 axle brick scale. Even at this scale a GE "44 tonner" shunter/switcher would be 4x6 bumps.

So 8x8 tiles are a problem. 12x12 might be better. And in 12x12, the slope tiles would be 4 standard bricks high instead of 3. That might be workable. Still, with a tiny shunter being half a tile long, could the program handle locomotives 2 tiles long like the "brickland" equivalents of the Big Boy and DDA40X Centennial?
Who is John Galt?
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

TrueLight is right about depth perception. You need bigger contrast: West slopes should be a bit darker and east slopes brighter. The problem is more evident on east slopes, so brighten them enough but be careful not to overdo or they will look ugly. You may need to do some tests. OK, since you managed to make such nice sprites this is not big deal for you. :D

I just compared the original screen with the last one TrueLight posted. :o with the progress. This terrain looks so nice I want to touch it with my hands!

Return to “Graphics Development”