More practicing on my part...

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

More practicing on my part...

Post by Axlrose »

I did not feel like playing EverQuest nor Transport Tycoon Deluxe patched so I decided to practice my drawing skills a bit further, attempting to make an abandoned old, small warehouse. Of course I am not going to be bold enough to ~demand~ someone to code it, but besides a few chuckles, any advice for improvements would be appreciated.

Edited: I forgot to add the attachment! :oops:

Edited again: I had to convert the file into a different format.
Attachments
Old Small Warehouse
Old Small Warehouse
Old Small Warehouse.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Christ almighty but that looks amazing! (excuse the irish! :D )

Seriously though, that is amazing, for ill assume its your 1st attempt at drawing! Absolutely first class. I would say id code it for you, but im afriad ive only ever coded trains before... If you ask nicely, someone who has done buildings before might be able to help.

James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

I like it... I really do...
If anything I'd say keep going (don't forget you need two views for each building?) and then create a whole city replacement set?

When it comes to coding, if you've made enough, then I'll look into learning the GRFCodec side of things and give it a go.

...Just my 2c...
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

that is very impressive! :D
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think it looks Oriental. Would you like to have it included in the Japanset? If so, please post it in the Japan thread.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

stevenh wrote: If anything I'd say keep going (don't forget you need two views for each building?)
Only if its a station/depot. Otherwise you need construction phases and a transparent version. Good effort though, drawing is quite fun once you master the pixel.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I'll echo the sentiment the rest of the posters are giving: "looks good".
stevenh wrote:(don't forget you need two views for each building?)
lifeblood wrote:Only if its a station/depot. Otherwise you need construction phases and a transparent version.
No, No, No, No. They're houses, and the transparent version is automatically generated by TTD.

Each of the four construction phases (the last being "fully built") needs one ground sprite and zero or more building sprites.

Any construction phase may share sprites with any other phase. The ground sprite(s) should not have non-transparent pixels outside the bounds of the standard flat ground sprite (eg sprite 1011 in trg1[r].grf), nor should they have transparent pixels within those bounds.

Building sprites will be made transparent in transparent mode, ground sprites will not.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

True enough, but perhaps I should've elaborated to say that a transparent mode of the ground sprite should be drawn, where the footprint of the building is blacked-out. This tends to be standard with most building sets for TT. Regardless, the warehouse still looks good.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Very cool! :D
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Wow :shock: , awesome :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

Thank you for the kind words. :D

Actually, this is my third building I posted. The other two - a small building with a nearby tree and two ghetto buildings, were posted a while back and I took the advice and practiced offline. But then other little projects creeped up with real life being the biggest (and the worst). I recently read a few threads from someone creating a splotch, called it a train, and wanted it coded yesterday. So the bug bit me again and I thought of something I could create. Three hours later, I went to post and forgot about the attachment and conversion factor - oops.

DaleStan - you mentioned building sprites and ground sprites being shared among the various stages of development. My first understanding of this is stage one is basic ground and saved as one name. Then more pixels are added to the picture and saved as a different name, etc. until the final stage of a finished product. Is this what you mean?

:idea: I should post this in the Suggestion forum - could it be possible that stage one is the ground floor, stage two is the construction phase, stage three is the finished building, then eventually stage four is the decayed stage of said building? I believe each stage could be set with a timer, so perhaps when a town wants to remove a building, the final stage is triggered, all benefits of the building become zero, and eventually removed from the game. Or perhaps I am off my rocker too! :wink:

I should check out the Japanese set for flavor and style.

Again, thank you for the kind words.
>>>>>Axlrose - ...<<<<<
maley123
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maley123 »

very good idear and it was me who made the train that was crap whoops
but any way stage four could be with buildovers and stuff removing it that will make my day :)
leader of a Maley's Deluxe Railset
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, Zimmlock has some of those.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
maley123
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maley123 »

kool
that would be awesome
leader of a Maley's Deluxe Railset
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

It somehow reminds me of Tiberian Sun's graphics :|
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Axlrose wrote:My first understanding of this is stage one is basic ground and saved as one name. Then more pixels are added to the picture and saved as a different name, etc. until the final stage of a finished product. Is this what you mean?
I'm afraid I don't understand your question, so I'm just going to answer the original question again.

Each state requires a groundsprite. The same groundsprite can be, and often is, used in mutiple states.
The building sprites are then drawn on top of the ground sprites.

For example, take a look at some of Zimmlock's sprites: The first is the ground sprite, used for all four stages, and the other four are the four building sprites, one per stage. You could leave off the building sprite for the first stage, and/or provide different ground sprites for different stages, but that should give you the idea.

When TTD draws this, it'll draw the ground sprite, and then come back and draw the building over it.
Attachments
sprites.png
sprites.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

Just more practicing with attempts to create a column affect upon the corners.
Attachments
Column Striped Building.png
Column Striped Building.png (1012 Bytes) Viewed 6328 times
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Awesome, that looks really like an oriental tower, maybe the JapanSet will use it!

James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Axlrose wrote:Just more practicing with attempts to create a column affect upon the corners.
I think the colors are too bright, but otherwise; Great! Keep up the great work :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Please feel free to post your buildings in the Japanset if you want them included there.

Return to “Graphics Development”