[ECS] The colour of Bauxite

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

[ECS] The colour of Bauxite

Post by George »

michael blunck wrote:You mean for bulk freight? I´m using this colourmap indices (DOS colour map):

Code: Select all

coal         01 02 03 04 05 06  black
grain        6D 38 40 41 C3 33  yellow
oil seeds    6D 38 5C 6F 5E 3B  pink
iron ore     7B 72 4A 73 4B 4C  brown
lime stone   0A 1E 0B 3B 0C 0E  grey
sulphur      42 5F 32 33 BF 45  green
potash       17 0D 87 0E D2 0F  purple
sand         3A 1E 3B 26 1F 27  orange
colours.png
colours.png (11.24 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
Correct?
Cargoes-colours.png
Cargoes-colours.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
Michael, could you please provide colours for bauxite?
Last edited by Hyronymus on 07 Sep 2011 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split by Georges request
Image Image Image Image
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

The colour of Bauxite

Post by George »

My suggestion for bauxite
bauxite.png
bauxite.png (2.48 KiB) Viewed 6795 times
Last edited by Hyronymus on 07 Sep 2011 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Extended Cargo Scheme (ECS) discussion

Post by FooBar »

I'd make bauxite a bit more red/orange, see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CaboRojoDRBauxite.jpg

FIRS uses this for the cargo icons, which I think is more closer to the real life colour of bauxite
Attachments
cargoicons.png
cargoicons.png (3.43 KiB) Viewed 6784 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

my personal impression from a comparison of images via google image search leads me to believe we should swap icons for bauxite and iron ore :-)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

George wrote: My suggestion for bauxite
Well, I´d say it´s more reddish, and more light. But that depends, deposits usually have their own colour tone. And keep in mind that almost all pictures are displayed with a tint, especially on the net. IMO, we should avoid to try to model a colour too "realistically", especially when there´s more than one colour to be found in reality, and when there´s any danger to mix it up with other colours in game, e.g. that of iron ore.
Foobar wrote: I'd make bauxite a bit more red/orange, see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CaboRojoDRBauxite.jpg
But that´s a picture of a ship! You can´t see anything important about the mineral on that picture. :P

regards
Michael
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

michael blunck wrote: But that´s a picture of a ship! You can´t see anything important about the mineral on that picture. :P
What do you think all the red stuff in front of the ship is? Moondust?
I'm quite certain that that's a lot of bauxite spill :D
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FooBar wrote:
michael blunck wrote: But that´s a picture of a ship! You can´t see anything important about the mineral on that picture. :P
What do you think all the red stuff in front of the ship is? Moondust?
I'm quite certain that that's a lot of bauxite spill :D
Did you read what I wrote? "You can´t see anything important about the mineral on that picture". Important w/r to colour. You can´t even see the ship in good quality ..

I mean, there a far better images on the net. Did you notice? 8)

regards
Michael
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Quality was good enough for me to see the reddish colour. Don't care about the quality of the ship.
Also didn't check the rest of the internet; first hit on google seemed fine to me.

But if you insist: http://www.google.nl/search?q=bauxite&tbm=isch
Nearly all these quarries are the same reddish colour as in my 'ship' picture. Single cleaned bauxite 'stones' can have different colours, but that's not what we transport in TTD; we transport bulk and uncleaned bauxite ;)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

George wrote:My suggestion for bauxite
The attachment bauxite.png is no longer available
How about this one?
mb bauxite.png
mb bauxite.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
[3F, 2C, 40, 6F, 4E, 25]

It´s sort of a compromise, because what you see most on those "bauxite" images is the reddish soil. Broken and refined, its even less "reddish".

regards
Michael
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Hard to tell from the colours alone (a vehicle with this colour map applied would give a better impression), but I think this is alright.

I agree that the refined stuff will be much less red, but I insist that we're not transporting the refined product :)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FooBar wrote: [..] I agree that the refined stuff will be much less red, but I insist that we're not transporting the refined product :)
Not?

I agree, that it could be more "reddish" on George´s trucks in situ, but when transported in large quantities by train, it could look more "refined". I think that´s what his "buildings" are for ... 8)

regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

I worked through google images a bit and gathered some colours...
cargo colours
cargo colours
cargo_colours.png (17.1 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
michael blunck wrote:
The attachment mb bauxite.png is no longer available
I think that also looks quite good and discernible, though I'd give sand a bit stronger colour with a bit more touch of yellow.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

I've collected colours from the sets
Cargoes-colours-all.png
Cargoes-colours-all.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
Last edited by George on 07 Sep 2011 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote: [...] I'd give sand a bit stronger colour with a bit more touch of yellow.
Well, I remember "sand" having been quite hard to arrange. First of all, "sand" on wagons doesn´t look like "sand on the beach", and then, I had to find a colour combination contrasting with many other colours, both cargo and landscape. I´ll leave it as it is.

BTW, there´s also CORE, being missed on George´s list above.

regards
Michael
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

michael blunck wrote:BTW, there´s also CORE, being missed on George´s list above.
:roll: read the last post
Image Image Image Image
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Extended Cargo Scheme (ECS) discussion

Post by michael blunck »

George wrote:
michael blunck wrote:BTW, there´s also CORE, being missed on George´s list above.
:roll: read the last post
I was refering to your second last post. Anyway, CORE in Newships and DBXL is [4A, 4B, 38, 5C, 4D, 1D]. Please update your table.

regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Update

Looking at the colours I suggest:

Grain: OpenGFX
Sand: OpenGFX / mb
Bauxite: FIRS icons for ore(!)
copper ore: LV4 / OpenGFX
iron ore: LV4 / FIRS industry colour
oil seeds: mb
gravel: lighter range of gray
coal: darker range of gray

the rest is very similar without real alternatives
Attachments
cargo colours
cargo colours
cargocolours.png (7.24 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [ECS] The colour of Bauxite

Post by FooBar »

I'm crossposting a picture I compiled for the Dutch trainset, showing the colour mappings I proposed to use for that set.
It's based on planetmaker's suggestion (since nobody had a comment on that I concluded that everybody agrees with that, if not, too bad ;)). For mappings that didn't have 8 colours I added some additional colours to get to 8 for each cargo. If you only want to use 6 colours in your sprites, you should go for the middle 6, as additional colours were added left and right where applicable.

I hope this is of use to someone. NML colour translation tables will eventually be available from the Dutch Trainset source. NFO tables can then be easily extracted from there as well.

EDIT: the fire cycle + one of the block cycle colours is added to the top because this will be used in the actual sprites to be recoloured, to avoid unintentional recolours of bits of the vehicle/wagon itself. It's trivial to replace those with magic pink if you want, but the fire cycle is easier to use for graphics artists.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

FooBar wrote:I'm crossposting a picture I compiled for the Dutch trainset, showing the colour mappings I proposed to use for that set.
It's based on planetmaker's suggestion (since nobody had a comment on that I concluded that everybody agrees with that, if not, too bad ;)).
Sorry?

There is no "standard" to "agree" to. That table only showed the different colours chosen by the various sets.
FooBar wrote: For mappings that didn't have 8 colours I added some additional colours to get to 8 for each cargo. If you only want to use 6 colours in your sprites, you should go for the middle 6, as additional colours were added left and right where applicable.
Hehe. You´re coming way too late. Most of the sets mentioned in this thread had been fixing their cargo colours years ago. Do you think they´re going to change it now that you recovered this thread?

The only new thing we were talking about was the new cargo "bauxite". That´s all.
FooBar wrote: EDIT: the fire cycle + one of the block cycle colours is added to the top because this will be used in the actual sprites to be recoloured, to avoid unintentional recolours of bits of the vehicle/wagon itself. It's trivial to replace those with magic pink if you want, but the fire cycle is easier to use for graphics artists.
I presume you´re talking about your Dutch train set implementation? Please note that all other sets are already using their own false colours, and surely not "fire cycle" or "magic pink". IMO, a bad choice.

regards
Michael
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

No, I'm not suggesting that existing sets should change. Of course they shouldn't; I wouldn't either if I had a released set. My post is mainly aimed at new sets or sets that want to add support for ECS and FIRS cargo and don't know what colours to use for that.

The "standard to agree to" (not that it's a standard, it's a suggestion) is a result of planetmaker's post, where he suggested, in his view, the best colours to use for each cargo. Since nobody objected to that since his post, it's only fair to assume there are no objections, so that's what I assumed :D
michael blunck wrote:surely not "fire cycle" or "magic pink". IMO, a bad choice.
This is also a suggestion; not a standard that everyone should use. If you have something else you're happy with, great! By all means continue to use that. I'm sure that you have something different for the DBXL set that works just as well. Or even better!

The reason I didn't choose a normal colour range is to avoid running into existing wagons that happen to use those colours. For new vehicles it's fine to just not use that colour, but we have quite a few exiting ones that will get their cargo modified for this purpose. Also, I don't want to know what happens in case the user selects a company colour that uses colours in my custom translation :P
To me this seemed the best solution. I don't think any realistic trainset has the need for a fire animation in a gondola or hopper. Steam engines yes, but those don't carry cargo, so you just don't assign the custom translation there.

In conclusion, I posted the picture in the hope that it will be useful, not to define any standard of some sort. From user perspective it may be good to have a standard (consistency!), but that's not what I'm after here. I'm sorry if I sounded as if I'm trying to define a standard here; that were not my intentions. Just something like "hey, I made this. If you want it, here you go" :)

Return to “Graphics Development”