[UNIV] TransRapid Track Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [WIP] TransRapid Track Set

Post by AndersI »

FooBar wrote:I think "underneath" will be a bit difficult, because there actually is no "underneath". But I think there are some optical tricks to create an "underneath".
Something in this direction (very hasty mock-up)?
Example15.png
Example15.png (5.94 KiB) Viewed 5334 times
It would need a lot of coding for the ends and sides, different sprites if one, two or more platforms etc. but I think it is possible (assuming that the GRF code can get all that information).
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

Haha! That's a very good illusion! :D
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That's not bad indeed. Very good idea; I like it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

AndersI wrote:It would need a lot of coding for the ends and sides, different sprites if one, two or more platforms etc. but I think it is possible (assuming that the GRF code can get all that information).
This is what happens in MB's stations set isn't it - more platforms can equal some differences as I recall (selecting "platform" over 3+ width creates a subway, doesn't it?)

You could have separate parts for each bit, too.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Just a suggestion (not even sure if it is possible) but why not continue the pillar placement into the station platforms/tiles and have a two story station building equal to the height of the track with a roof over arching the tracks (but doesn't totally hide the train) to mask the fact that there is no real connection between the building/platform and the track. Even if it is an optical illusion it might look better then raising the platforms up to the bottom of the track. I am a lousy artist but even a bad picture might explain it better.
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Dave Worley wrote:What changes?
no maglev fences, no maglev road crossings, maglev track passes over ordinary track with no bridge, maglev tunnels, new sprite arrangements...
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

wallyweb wrote:Seeing as how you will be relying upon illusion, bridges may be a bit of a challenge. It seems to me that the original TT (not deluxe) had an interesting monorail bridge. Unfortunately I don't have it installed and my CD is buried somewhere only an archaeologist could find it, so I can't produce an image.
Hmm, maybe NewBridges could illustrate it too:

We played on #openttdcoop game #64 with it.

Greets
Ammler
Attachments
Bells and Whistles, 3rd Mar 2189.png
Bells and Whistles, 3rd Mar 2189.png (125.48 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Bells and Whistles, 25th Mar 2189.png
Bells and Whistles, 25th Mar 2189.png (76.1 KiB) Viewed 693 times
monorail.png
monorail.png (16.26 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

AndersI wrote:...[A very good station example]...
Damn, I just did one very similar and you beat me. Bugger. I was going to say that the station would be very easy to produce, you just need to have the track at the 'front' of the tile as the illusion imitates.
The problem tiles will of course be the level crossings, mainly because, if I remember correctly, they don't have multiple layers, they are single layer tiles.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

AndersI wrote:It would need a lot of coding for the ends and sides [...]
Problem is that station tiles are 3D, but "track" in stations is "flat" - it´s in the ground tile. Consequently, you´ll need to make your station tiles also "flat", because if they´d remain 3D you´ll get unwanted clipping effects. OTOH, making stations tiles "flat" instead of 3D would generate lots of other problems, e.g. with fitting them together, clipping problems with neighbour buildings, etc, pp.

Best thing would be to have a low track, TR track doesn´t need to be elevated:

http://www.transrapid.de/basics_en/arch ... ideway.gif

:P

regards
Michael
Dave

Post by Dave »

You could have a station piece that drops the raised track to a lower level in terms of the image?

Maybe not..
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

michael blunck wrote:Best thing would be to have a low track, TR track doesn´t need to be elevated:
That indeed would be the easy way, but since easy is not in my dictionary, I'll try the hard way first. :)
I still believe it's possible. If not, I can always revert back to a low level track.
Dave Worley wrote:You could have a station piece that drops the raised track to a lower level in terms of the image?
Probably not, because the 'normal' straight tracks are used in stations too. I'll work something out, eventually.
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

Maybe include the at-grade guideway in the set as a selectable option activated by a specific parameter?
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

michael blunck wrote:Problem is that station tiles are 3D, but "track" in stations is "flat" - it´s in the ground tile. Consequently, you´ll need to make your station tiles also "flat", because if they´d remain 3D you´ll get unwanted clipping effects. OTOH, making stations tiles "flat" instead of 3D would generate lots of other problems, e.g. with fitting them together, clipping problems with neighbour buildings, etc, pp.
IMO the 'simple' solution is to only allow single track stations :-) Is that possible GRF-wise? Otherwise one will have to enforce that manually.
Ben_K wrote: The problem tiles will of course be the level crossings, mainly because, if I remember correctly, they don't have multiple layers, they are single layer tiles.
You shouldn't have any level crossings with a maglev. Period. Has to be manually enforced until there is a patch for it. Is it possible to 'fool the system' with the visual Z-level of a bridge without affecting the apparent level of the train? If so, one could make a 'flat looking bridge' for the crossings.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

question:

can you turn off collisions with RVs or disable railroad crossings?
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

there's one thing, that comes annoying pretty quickly. You'll see it in this pic...The track is on the edge of tile. I tried to make 32bpp of maglev track (for OpenTTD) (with exactly the same construction as your's) and found tht problem...
bother.png
bother.png (19.48 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Wouldn't it be possible to code some independent grf, that changes the offsets for various maglev trains (also those in DBsetXL and UKRS and the default ones), when this GRF is loaded... Then you could make it look more logical.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

While researching a problem I was having with Vthief I came across this discussion:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2540&start=40

It would seem that much of the current discussion has been previously discussed. There is even a screenshot of the TTO monorail and a level crossing there. :)
Rendall
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Rendall »

I do like the idea to draw a station for this project FooBar. Something like the metro station Rijnhaven or Zuidplein in Rotterdam. In a modern view off course :D
A brief picture and artikel can be found here (dutch!!)
Attachments
metro.jpg
metro.jpg (15.67 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Well, be my guest!
If anyone else wants to draw a station for this set, go ahead, and I'll include it in the set!
Ben1337
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ben1337 »

I've got an idea for your traffic problem.

Why not design the bridges and the track the same hight (no hight changes when there normally is), and no reinforcing on the sides as well.
Theres 7 ingredients to be successful and they are:
(1)knowledge (to know how to achieve your goal).
(2)perseverance (never give up on your first attempt)
(3) tools (to know what you need)
(4) materials (to know what would help you)
(5) inspiration (to ask people how they achieved their goal).
(6) ambition (to do better then you want to achieve)
(7) concentration (to concentrate hard on your work)
P.S. I know what the real meanings of these words I just used them to give an impression of what I mean.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

It's time to dig this up again :mrgreen:

Today, I picked up drawing again. I've redone the track and added the up-side-down v-shaped pillars to it. Doesn't look too bad, does it?

Before I go any further, I'd like to hear (read) what you think of this design. Should I proceed with the other directions? Change anything?

Anyway, here's the screenshot:
Attachments
Naamloos-1.png
Naamloos-1.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 3953 times

Return to “Graphics Development”