[UNIV] TransRapid Track Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

[UNIV] TransRapid Track Set Development

Post by FooBar »

The TransRapid Track Set is a maglev track replacement set. The Transrapid system is a German high-speed monorail train system using magnetic levitation. The tracks in this set are based upon their real life equivalents at the test facility for the system in Emsland, Germany.

Development Topic
You are now in the Transrapid Track Set development topic. If you're looking for a download, you should visit the release topic.

Development related stuff should go here. Compliments and help on installing/configuring the set are better placed in the release topic.

---ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS---

Probably everybody agrees: the default maglev tracks look a bit odd :P
That's why I decided to start creating something that does look like the real thing: the TransRapid Track Set.
Attachments
TransRapid Track Set
TransRapid Track Set
TR_SC1.png (47.3 KiB) Viewed 35366 times
Last edited by FooBar on 01 Aug 2010 20:02, edited 16 times in total.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [WIP] TransRapid Track Set

Post by Ameecher »

I thought about how this could be possible and couldn't see how it was done, your illustration shows it beautifully and I think it's great! I might use MagLev more if the tracks looked like that, the only problem I can see is bridges and tunnels, how will you do those?

edit: the default maglev tracks aren't that unrealistic, the guideway style they have rather than the monorail type track used by transrapid is what is used on the Japanese maglev system.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Ameecher wrote:the only problem I can see is bridges and tunnels, how will you do those?
And level crossings? Stations? :?

Maybe I should start with that kind of stuff to see how it looks and how to make it look good. If it doesn't look good, I wouldn't even use the set myself!
Ameecher wrote: the default maglev tracks aren't that unrealistic, the guideway style they have rather than the monorail type track used by transrapid is what is used on the Japanese maglev system.
True, but it doesn't reflect the tracks used for the TransRapid maglev system (hence the set's title :wink:)
If this doesn't work out, I could always try to improve the default maglev tracks and make 'm look more like this. But let's try this first.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Real elevated maglev track is impossible w/o code changes. I had worked on that problem some five years ago (when doing my first TR) , but since then nothing happened, code-wise.

I´ll try to dig out an old screenshot.

regards
Michael
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That's (unfortunately) true. The tracks in the screenshot above are based on optical illusion, but I don't think it's impossible to make it look good.

Go ahead and dig up that screenshot. I'd love to see what you came up with back then.

Tunnels shouldn't be too much of a problem. Stations look acceptable already, but the platforms should be a bit higher. I have to see how NewStations can help there.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

You can save yourself some effort by forgetting about level crossings. Roads should go under or above but not across these track types. Seeing as how you will be relying upon illusion, bridges may be a bit of a challenge. It seems to me that the original TT (not deluxe) had an interesting monorail bridge. Unfortunately I don't have it installed and my CD is buried somewhere only an archaeologist could find it, so I can't produce an image.
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

BEAUTIFUL! :D Just what I've been looking for!

I wonder if it would be possible to prevent building a road across a maglev track? :?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Hairysteed wrote:BEAUTIFUL! :D Just what I've been looking for!
Thanks! Will take some time though before it's finished. Probably a couple of weeks before I will release some kind of beta, but don't keep me to that, I'm a busy man.
Hairysteed wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to prevent building a road across a maglev track?
NewGRF can't do that. Such a feature would require modifications to the game. I think I make it look like a road going under the track; should look good if you don't let you road vehicles used (as they would drive over the track!).
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

I sure hope this will be OpenTTD compatible... although I can't see why it wouldn't. I definately see a need for this grf, since the most popular trainsets at least in OpenTTD seem to be DBSet and UKRS, both of which have Transrapid.

Edit: Could you do away with the fences?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Hairysteed wrote:I sure hope this will be OpenTTD compatible
It sure will. The grf will be compatible with both TTDP and OTTD.

Hairysteed wrote:Could you do away with the fences?
I can, but that would also remove the fences for the other rail type. Maybe I can come up with my own fences. I'll make it a parameter option to choose between default/mine/no fences.
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

Could you draw the concrete pillars like this /\ as seen here instead of one straight pillar like this |, or would that be too close to the edge of the block (since the tracks themselves have to be in the center)?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Good effort with the illusion :D
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
zero1000
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: Munich area, Bavaria, Germany, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by zero1000 »

A bridge should only add the pillars and nothing else. May be then it looks good.
Your track looks really good, but without fences it would look even better :-)
Last edited by zero1000 on 05 Nov 2007 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
zero1000
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

Hmm... I'm a bit concerned about what the tracks would look like on stations. :?
zero1000
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: Munich area, Bavaria, Germany, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Post by zero1000 »

I think, new station are necessary, which creates a upper level station by optical illusion.
zero1000
Dave

Post by Dave »

Well that's surely possible - we have stations now with raised "parts" such as footbridges, buildings, etc. It could be a building underneath with stairs to platform level above. I'd use the set if it was released.

Flickr

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Thanks for all the interest in this set!

I'll try to answer some questions/give my own opinion.
Hairysteed wrote:Could you draw the concrete pillars like this /\
I plan to do that, in fact, I already made some attempts. It seems to be possible to fit it all in one square, but I have more difficulties getting the shape right. The /\-shaped pillars are definitely on the list though.
Dave Worley wrote:Good effort with the illusion
Thank you!
zero1000 wrote:A bridge should only add the pillars and nothing else.
I'll keep that in mind when I get working on bridges.
zero1000 wrote:Your track looks really good, but without fences it would look even better
Thanks! I'll eventually add an option to disable the fences.
Hairysteed wrote:I'm a bit concerned about what the tracks would look like on stations.
Currently not too bad actually, but it would look better with some kind of optical higher stations.
Dave Worley wrote:It could be a building underneath with stairs to platform level above.
I think "underneath" will be a bit difficult, because there actually is no "underneath". But I think there are some optical tricks to create an "underneath".

Again, thanks for the interest in the set and all great feedback!
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

myself, as probably all others can't wait to get my hands on this set when you are done. keep up the good work :)

when you come to the bridges, why not just continue what you already started, just expand the pillars
Member of the
ImageImage
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

I like this a lot! good luck with it, and if the patch doesn't develop the changes, OTTD may endorse in this
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Dave

Post by Dave »

What changes?

Flickr

Return to “Graphics Development”