Industry Set: OCCS. First Test Version! Call for Artists!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Industry Set: One Cargo Climate Set

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:And what is the right term for Woodchips and Pulp then?
Woodchips and Pulp :wink:
Seriously :D
They are two of the many products made from wood.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

wallyweb wrote:
that means the term "Wood products", which was suggested by Michael Blunck 2 years ago, is the best one?
Image Image Image Image
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
that means the term "Wood products", which was suggested by Michael Blunck 2 years ago, is the best one?
It is not ideal ... for instance, you could not differentiate between a Pulp Mill and a Paper Mill because under your schema, they would both accept Wood Products. However, the way you have implemented your Forest vector, it works the way you have it now. If later you wanted to add a pulp mill to your vector, you would probably want to change it.
gmyx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gmyx »

wallyweb wrote: Product Chain Summary:
Logs --> Lumber --> Construction
Logs --> Lumber --> Goods
Logs --> Pulp --> Paper --> Goods
Logs --> Woodchips --> Pulp --> Paper --> Goods
This is how I plan to implement the wood feature:
Forest (Logs) -> Sawmill (Lumber) -> Factory (Goods)
Forest (Logs) -> Sawmill (Pulp) -> Paper Mill (Paper, Goods) -> Printing Works (Goods)

There still is the "grain" chain to fix however. I do want to keep the cannery/perishables but can't seem to fit it in yet.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

gmyx wrote:There still is the "grain" chain to fix however. I do want to keep the cannery/perishables but can't seem to fit it in yet.
Meat, Fruit and Fish come to mind. :wink:
gmyx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gmyx »

One more stab:

Farm (Livestock) -> Meat Processing Plant (Meat) -> Food processing plant (food)
Farm (Livestock) -> Meat Processing Plant (Meat) -> Cannery (food)
Fruit Farm (Fruit) -> Food processing plant (food)
Fruit Farm (Fruit) -> Cannery (food)
Farm (Grain, Maize, Wheat) -> Grainery (Refined Grains) -> Food processing plant (food)
Cannery also needs steel

The food processing plant, cannery and grainery will choose their input cargoes.

Perishables is no longer in the picture.

Updated chart:
Version 3!
Version 3!
OCCSCargoesV3.png (46.45 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
As always, feedback is welcome!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

That looks good. :)
Here's a couple more to add to the mix:
Fishing Grounds (Fish) -> Cannery (food)
also
Grains can be sent to a Brewery (food)
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

This does not make sence:
Copper Ore >...>Steel

And this needs some 'refining':
Rubber > Refinery (OK, I admit you didn't use term 'oil refinery', so it may be acceptable.)
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
gmyx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gmyx »

wallyweb wrote:That looks good. :)
Here's a couple more to add to the mix:
Fishing Grounds (Fish) -> Cannery (food)
also
Grains can be sent to a Brewery (food)
I thought of adding fish... Brewery seems interesting but to me don't seem to fit with the original spirit of trying to stick with the original industry as much as possible. It would require something else, such as glass. ECS does that and I don't want to creep into ECS' domain. I will however keep it in mind if I do an extension.
athanasios wrote:This does not make sence:
Copper Ore >...>Steel

And this needs some 'refining':
Rubber > Refinery (OK, I admit you didn't use term 'oil refinery', so it may be acceptable.)
Steel is an alloy. But even there it doesn't quite fit in since the industry is either iron or copper. Regardless of whether of not it would be split into a seperate industry, it would have the same output -> A Metal. It would add allot to have proper support for coper. Again, this could be in a future extension.

From my friend who has worked with rubber, it is indeed refined. In fact, the "rubber" in TTD is not the rubber that we think of in everyday, but rather rubber "sap" that must be refined into rubber.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

gmyx wrote:Steel is an alloy. But even there it doesn't quite fit in since the industry is either iron or copper. Regardless of whether of not it would be split into a seperate industry, it would have the same output -> A Metal. It would add allot to have proper support for coper. Again, this could be in a future extension.
Steel is an alloy indeed, but they usually don't put copper into it. Maybe it's better to name the output of the metal works 'metal' instead of 'steel', since iron and copper are both metals anyway.
gmyx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gmyx »

FooBar wrote:
gmyx wrote:Steel is an alloy. But even there it doesn't quite fit in since the industry is either iron or copper. Regardless of whether of not it would be split into a seperate industry, it would have the same output -> A Metal. It would add allot to have proper support for coper. Again, this could be in a future extension.
Steel is an alloy indeed, but they usually don't put copper into it. Maybe it's better to name the output of the metal works 'metal' instead of 'steel', since iron and copper are both metals anyway.
What's in a name? I guess Refined Metal would be the more appropriate term than steel.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Just metal is better. 'Refined metal' might refer to something else. (More clear/pure?)
My argument about the refinery is that rubber doesn't go to an oil refinery. It needs a different industry, unless you name it just refinery and MOD the graphics.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
gmyx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gmyx »

athanasios wrote:Just metal is better. 'Refined metal' might refer to something else. (More clear/pure?)
My argument about the refinery is that rubber doesn't go to an oil refinery. It needs a different industry, unless you name it just refinery and MOD the graphics.
Metal is good, especially since refined metals don't fit well into TTD in some places. The Oil refinery was already renamed to Refinery, and the graphics will be modified eventually (code first, graphics second).
gmyx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gmyx »

I am proud to announce the First release of the OCCS! I thank everyone who has provide valuable feedback and helped get me to this point. I will publish the cargo labels soon - I need to ensure I don't have any duplications first.
occsdefs.grf
First release.
(78.76 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
occsvech.grf
Default vehicles first release
(953 Bytes) Downloaded 79 times
Includes the industry definitions (occsdefs.grf) and default trains wagons (occsvech.grf) to support the new industries.

There is still a lot of work to be done:
  • force minimum version of ttdpatch
  • ecs style output management
  • resource depletion and management http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 24&start=0
  • make workers a requirement
  • make/get real graphics
  • fix action 2 of graphics to correct values
  • review conflict types properties of industries (16)
  • fix color on map of industries
  • finalize list of cargo labels - need to cross reference with existing cargo labels
And now, a call for artist! As you will see, my graphics are simply hacks of the base graphics: i have no drawing skills! Therefore, if you would like to contribute some graphics, I will gladly include them with appropriate credits given. Any graphics will be accepted at this point for any industry.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

George wrote:
Co-RNeR wrote:And of course Foodprocessing Plants 'produce' waste which is old as fodder.... to the farms
That looks like fertilizer in ECS Agricultural vector
Sue him for steeling your vector :? .
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Industry Set: OCCS. First Test Version! Call for Artists!

Post by Zimmlock »

Hi, after my summer stop its the first time i see this, and its verry interesting but would like to do some suggestions.
At first i mis the powerplant in this schema, without powerplant nothing wil work unless you let all industry accept coal aswel. To my opinion the powerplant accepts coal allways and oil from 1950.
Then i was having a small studdy what to do with the coal, normaly you can only bring it to the powerplant, so i started to draw a cokesplant, its allmost finished. Because to bring coal direct to the steelmill (blastfurnace) is not realistic. So now you have to bring coal first to the Cokesplant, this produces cokes and cokesgas, the cokes goes to the blastfurnace (steelmill), the gas is transported by underground pipeline to the refinery, the refinery can make fertilizers from this gas (and other products) that can be transported to the variouse farms to boost cropgrowth.
The Maize could allso be transported to the livestock farm to feed the animals.
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

also ...
From Zimmlock's thread wrote: :arrow: Look before you leape, i asked for a CODER thats all.
This might be another marriage made in heaven. Why don't you two work on this together? :wink:
Zimmlock wrote:... the gas is transported by underground pipeline to the refinery ...
Do you mean like this? :D
gmyx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gmyx »

Zimmlock wrote:Hi, after my summer stop its the first time i see this, and its verry interesting but would like to do some suggestions.
At first i mis the powerplant in this schema, without powerplant nothing wil work unless you let all industry accept coal aswel. To my opinion the powerplant accepts coal allways and oil from 1950.
Then i was having a small studdy what to do with the coal, normaly you can only bring it to the powerplant, so i started to draw a cokesplant, its allmost finished. Because to bring coal direct to the steelmill (blastfurnace) is not realistic. So now you have to bring coal first to the Cokesplant, this produces cokes and cokesgas, the cokes goes to the blastfurnace (steelmill), the gas is transported by underground pipeline to the refinery, the refinery can make fertilizers from this gas (and other products) that can be transported to the variouse farms to boost cropgrowth.
The Maize could allso be transported to the livestock farm to feed the animals.
As I said before I always thought the power plant to be a dead end and an oddity compared to the rest of the industries. I too did some thinking about what to do with coal and my thought was steel mill (renamed metal works in my schema) needs to heat up the ore, therefore it could be burning coal to achieve that.

I like your idea Coal -> Cokesplant (Cokes) -> Metal works (Metal). It adds a small step in between and does not over complicate things with the end result being a better chain.
Coal -> Cokesplant (Cokesgas) -> Refinery (Refined Products, Fertilizers). This would necessitate moving rubber some where else, possibly to it's own "refining" stage. Refining cokesgas and oil makes more sense than using an oil refinery to refine rubber. I am trying to avoid circular references - but my position on that is softening somewhat. It seems inevitable that some raw industries would need some inputs such as fertilizers and feed.
wallyweb wrote:
From Zimmlock's thread wrote: :arrow: Look before you leape, i asked for a CODER thats all.
This might be another marriage made in heaven. Why don't you two work on this together? :wink:
Thanks for the tip!
wallyweb wrote:
Zimmlock wrote:... the gas is transported by underground pipeline to the refinery ...
Do you mean like this? :D
Sweet, if only it was possible to not need that intermediate stage - it breaks the realism.

There are others things that have come to my mind that I am considering adding such as a "boxing" plant (boxes), cereal manufacturer (food from boxes and refined grains), a rubber refinery / processor as well as some additional random outputs to farm (some farm would produce only one cargo instead of two). I am also reviewing all the recommendations in this tread to see if any of them can be added to the current schema.
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

I've split the generic newcargos discussion into a topic in General TTDPatch ("Future of newcargos"). Please continue that discussion over there.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick

Return to “Graphics Development”