[Univ] GRVTS (v1.4) and [OTTD] eGRVTS (v1.0)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Generic Road Vehicle Set [WIP]

Post by Zephyris »

Thanks! The biggest aim of this set is to enhance gameplay in that way; ie. force the decision between high speed, high capacity or low cost, and I intend any alterations to vehicle statistics to reinforce that trend. As always any suggestions for changes to the statistics are very welcome!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

White Rabbit, do you feel like coming up with more names? I'm finally getting round to coding the statistics you suggested and the vehicle names are brilliant! I'm especially enhoying "Prime Ironwood" and "TFB Oceanus" :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Woo! 3 posts in a row :)
New version of tram graphics teaser uploaded... all trams drawn!
welshdragon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by welshdragon »

i don't know what the record is for posts in a row...
I'd love to get the trams. but as you said, they won't work with your road vehicles
Semi-Retired TT-Forums Member.
These days I'm:
[list][*]A Local Transport Representative for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Social Media Advisxer for Bus Users Cymru
[*]Volunteer and Fundraiser for Guide Dogs[/list]
flickr | twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Steam

I used to be an idiot called tycoonmarkj.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

The trams will be added to the truck vehicle grf when they are developed enough (ie. when they are playable like the trucks), shouldnt be (fingers crossed) too long!
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

The lack of articulated box trucks really hampers competing against trains on medium distance services with goods :(.
Maybe add a semi-trailer + trailer after 1990's? :wink:
But otherwise the set is quite nice, though still lacking some names. :)
Last edited by Villem on 30 Aug 2007 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

hi,
I only manage to refit the truck itself but not the trailer, leaving the "truck" with two cargos
there is any way to refit trailer cargo? how?
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

you could be a little more specific.
OTTD, TTDpatch?
stable, beta, nightly?
other .grfs you have activated?
anything else you can provide?
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

TTDP nightly r1712

.grfs dont matter the problem exist with only:
newgrf/roadset/ervs.grf
newgrf/patchFeatures/ttdpbasew.grf
config file attached

as I said the problem is that I refit the vehicle in depot, and only the truck itself changes the cargo, while the trailer remains with default cargo (coal for hopper, livestock for flatbed, oil for tanker)
look at the screnshoot attached

edit. updated to nightly 1719, the problem persist
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

I've revised the speeds for regular and double decker buses:

Code: Select all

Regular buses
Generation     Name                         Date    Speed    Cost       Running Cost    Capacity
     1         TFB Prometheus Bus           1910    30 mph   $12,500    $1,700          18
     2         Foster Pioneer Bus           1940    40 mph   $14,500    $2,000          24
     3         Witsharp MG1 Bus             1977    55 mph   $18,000    $2,500          40
     4         MacMillan Panther Bus        2005    65 mph   $20,000    $2,800          48
     5         Foster Centurion Bus         2040    75 mph   $22,000    $3,000          55

Double deckers
Generation    Name                          Date    Speed    Cost       Running Cost    Capacity
     1        Witcombe Castle Bus           1927    25 mph   $14,500    $2,000          35
     2        Hereford Double Decker Bus    1956    33 mph   $16,500    $2,300          52
     3        Prime Ironwood Bus            1980    45 mph   $22,000    $2,800          74
     4        TFB Oceanus Bus               2015    60 mph   $24,000    $3,100          90
I think the Witcombe Fort should be renamed to Witcombe Castle, since it sounds better.

Here are the rest of the bus statistics:

Coaches
Generation    Name                          Date    Speed    Cost       Running Cost    Capacity
     1        Whippet Scenicruiser Bus      1941    60 mph   $20,500    $5,000          35
     2        Prime Firewood Bus            1980    80 mph   $22,500    $6,300          40
     3        Polynikes Bus                 2017    100 mph  $24,000    $7,500          45
What do you think of average capacites coupled with much higher prices and more expensive maintenance?

Articulated buses
     1        Foster Clydesdale Bus         1961    31 mph   $16,800    $2,300          60
     2        TFB Poseidon Bus              1990    43 mph   $23,000    $3,000          80
     3        Witsharp TP2 Bus              2025    52 mph   $25,000    $3,700          100
I can't give exact numbers, but here are a few balance stats (highest first):

Loading rates:
1. Articulated buses.
2. Regular and express buses.
3. Double deckers.

HP:
1. Express buses.
2. Double deckers
3. Regular and articulated buses.

Weight:
1. Articulated buses and double deckers.
2. Regular buses.
3. Express buses.

Life expectancy:
1. Double deckers.
2. Regular buses.
3. Express buses and articulated buses.
Last edited by White Rabbit on 31 Aug 2007 18:03, edited 2 times in total.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

White Rabbit, Love the names, although I'd switch the Prometheus and Pioneer. Pioneer for the first bus ;)

Loading rates look good too.

I still say make the trams a stand-alone expansion in addition to the buses and trucks, not with the trucks, or at least have a parameter to disable them if people want to use a different tram set.

Just a thought.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

It's just that both Prometheus and Pioneer make sense. Prometheus was the titan who gave the gift of fire to man, our most early discovery. It's not our most earliest tool, but I didn't want to name it TFB Sharp Stone Bus. The Pioneer, however, is Foster's first ever bus, so it fits even though it's second.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

That's Logical... makes sense :)
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Inspired by Rabbit's bus namings, what about these for trucks?

Balogh "Hermes" Truck(Box Truck Gen 1)
UHL "Hephaestus" Truck(Flatbed Gen 1)
Foster "Mercury" Truck(Mail Truck Gen 1)
Witcombe "Neptune" Truck(Tanker Truck Gen 1)

Reasonings are the following: Hermes(well he'd fit the mail truck too, since his the messenger of gods to humans) was the god of commerce(and goods are important part of commerce in TTD), and Hephaestus was the god of Fire and Forge(since Flatbed takes steel..). Mercury was the messenger god, and Neptune is the god of water(and tankers take liquids)..
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

It's not the names, but what company the names belong to. I'm leaning towards having just one company with Greek deity names, since that would make that particular company more unique (like GWR naming all their 4-6-0s after castles or the US Army naming their helicopters after Native American tribes). TFB will have to go though (guess what it stands for).

As for Mercury and Neptune, they are just Roman versions of Hermes and Poseidon. They're basically Greek and Latin words with the same meaning.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Same meaning, different god. Just cause i could call a articulated flatbed truck a flatbed rig, it doesn't mean the other meaning is useless.
Remember, gods have many properties..
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

But the analogy is always there. It doesn't provide much in terms of variety. You could, for example, name the 80 mph coach 'Cheetah', despite the presence of a Panther bus. They're different species; however, they both run fast and they're both cats, so no diversity would be gained. Add to this the fact that once you introduce other pantheons, the original one's influence becomes diluted. Keeping to just one would ensure the original remains special.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Generic Road Vehicle Set [WIP] * CRASH *

Post by wallyweb »

This is one for the books.
In an existing game, running TTDPatch-win32-nightly-r1729 ...
1. I am able to build and reconfigure a new Hopper Truck (Articulated )1 ... no problem.
2. I am able to build and reconfigure a new Hopper Truck (Normal)2, and then delete and replace it with a Hopper Truck (Articulated )1 ... no problem.
3. However, If, in the depot, I delete a Hopper Truck (Normal)1 that was built earlier in the game and replace it with a Hopper Truck (Articulated )1, the game crashes.
4. If I use cht: DeleteVeh to remove the Hopper Truck (Normal)1, I can build Hopper Truck (Articulated )1 ... no problem.

I've attached the crash log. It is repeatable.

I suspect this may be because I replaced an earlier ervs.grf with a more recent version, but I can't be sure. * EDIT* Nope .... that's not it. Upon further testing, the problem occurs after, in this case Hopper Truck (Normal)2 was built and sent out of the depot for one pick up and delivery, then returned to the depot where I attempted to replace it with a Hopper Truck (Articulated )1 ** CRASH **

*EDIT* It only happens if the vehicle has orders.
*EDIT*EDIT* It also happens when replacing an articulated truck with another articulated truck.

SummaryIf an articulated truck is purchased to replace any other truck (Normal or Articulated) that has orders, the game will crash.

ALSO

Any response re LaDoncella's observation that with articulated trucks, only the truck part gets the refit, the trailer does not. I see this too.
Attachments
CRASH000.TXT
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Last edited by wallyweb on 15 Sep 2007 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It looks like Patch might be trying to attach the orders to some vehicle other than the first.
It might also be trying to attach orders before allocating space on the heap.

Since a decode of that stack would be offtopic here, I've issued a bug report.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:It looks like Patch might be trying to attach the orders to some vehicle other than the first. ...
There are two workarounds until this bug is fixed. I have tested both workarounds.
1. Delete the orders from the RV's order list before selling it and purchasing an articulated RV.
or
2. Use cht: DeleteVeh to remove the RV that is to be replaced.

Is there any possibility that the trailer failing to refit is related to this bug? Somehow I doubt it but I thought it was worth asking.

Return to “Graphics Development”