[Univ] GRVTS (v1.4) and [OTTD] eGRVTS (v1.0)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Generic Road Vehicle Set [WIP]

Post by Zephyris »

I believe it is possible to code them so that the player is not able to select a regular station for the schedule ... only the drive through stops.
Do you have any idea how to/ who I could ask? I can't find it on the wiki...
The player would then buy a truck first, then use the Ctrl key to buy a trailer to add on to the truck.
Ideally yes, but at the moment there is no support for this in OpenTTD and I would like to keep the set fully compatibile. Good suggestion though! Something to add in a future version...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Zephyris wrote:
I believe it is possible to code them so that the player is not able to select a regular station for the schedule ... only the drive through stops.
Do you have any idea how to/ who I could ask? I can't find it on the wiki...
This is the current behaviour for trams so I would suggest Lakie or stevenh. You may also want to explore the Articulated Road Vehicles thread where this was discussed about a week ago. :)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

wallyweb wrote:1. Suggestion for the articulated vehicles ... I believe it is possible to code them so that the player is not able to select a regular station for the schedule ... only the drive through stops.
TTDPatch should prevent articulated vehicles from being sent to other than drive-through stops. If it doesn't, that's a Patch bug and should be reported as such.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:
wallyweb wrote:1. Suggestion for the articulated vehicles ... I believe it is possible to code them so that the player is not able to select a regular station for the schedule ... only the drive through stops.
TTDPatch should prevent articulated vehicles from being sent to other than drive-through stops. If it doesn't, that's a Patch bug and should be reported as such.
AHA! :idea: You are right! If I build the schedule by selecting each station and stop, I am indeed unable to select stations for articulated RVs. However, if I build the schedule by copying the orders for an unarticulated RV to an articulated RV, the articulated RV accepts them without question and will happily try to enter a station, only to have to be vapourized with a cht: deleteveh.

Now my next challenge is to try to decipher the bug report page, if I can find it in the bowels of the wiki ... unless of course, someone has already reported this. :roll:

EDIT: Bug report submitted in the TTDPatch Bug Tracker.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Ah. Interesting. Something should probably be fixed there. What, how, how to alert the user, and how idiot-proof to make it are all a little foggy, though.

The alerts range from "pop up a news message" to "stop the vehicle" to "stop the vehicle" to "skip the order" to "remove the order", or most combinations of the above, plus an optional "only when close to the station"
The idiot-proofing ranges from "check every time the order changes" to "check when attempting to share or copy orders" to "check on every tick", and most combinations of the above.
I'll preemptively reject the idea of combining "pop up a news message" with "check on every tick".

Any such solution would probably have the side effect of making it easy to validate the orders for other vehicle types, making it easy to pop up a notice when a airplane is attempting to land at a heliport, or a train is trying to go somewhere there isn't a rail station.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

Zephyris wrote:OpenTTD:
Articulated trucks are unstable - turning round in a junction will crash the game
Articulated road vehicle refitting does not refit the trailer
Loading stage graphics (loading animations) incorrectly displayed for trailers
I've fixed all of these.
Zephyris wrote:Callbacks for cargotype FF in action3 (i.e. buy menu graphics) not recognised, so deceptive articulated road vehicle capacities
Callback 16 not being used in the buy menu is a known problem (which I think happens in TTDPatch too), but I'll have a talk with the other developers and see if we can come up with a good way to fix it.
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Awesome :) , Have you also blocked AI from using articulated road vehicles for normal stops?

Set development-wise I've got a busy week coming up, so there will probably be no new updates untill after the weekend...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

If anyone is still interested in playing with vehicle statistics here is a skeleton statistics sheet, fill anything you want in (or adjust whats there :) ) and reupload!
Attachments
Generic Road Vehicles.xls
(21 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

New version, see first post.

Graphics are "complete", i.e. all are drawn and coded, although may still be tweaked...

Still to to:
* Finalise vehicle statistics and names
* Sort out the default cargo/climate problem (see below)

Also most bugs in use of articulated road vehicles are being ironed out :)

I'm looking for some coding advice;
In different climates different vehicles require different default cargo types to prevent bugs, for example the hopper truck (default cargo coal) appears as default cargo rubber in the sub-tropical climate. This is easy to fix via a climate specific action6, but is there a tidier way of doing this?

In some climates some vehicle types have no default cargo which "fits", for example the armoured truck in toyland, but, for compatibility with any newindustry grf, needs to be available for purchase (i.e. if a newindustry grf added a gold mine to toyland, the armoured truck would have to be available to carry the gold). Is there a way to make vehicles only available when there is a cargo type which can be transported by them? This would also be useful for disabling a vehicle if a newindustry grf disables all the cargoes which it can carry.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

The latest version of evrs is provoking a "More sprites than specified" error.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Im good at messing that up; updated so it should work...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I'm impressed. That takes massive skill.

Not only will GRFCodec complain if sprite 0 isn't correct, and tell you the difference, but NFORenum will silently correct sprite 0, whether you like it or not.

So, question: Should I make GRFCodec run a stricter parser, at least by default, to *ahem*encourage*ahem* people to use NFORenum?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Zephyris wrote:Im good at messing that up; updated so it should work...
It works now. :wink:
Next: (Some of these are already mentioned in your note above)
1. The box truck is refitable for Goods, Tourists. I think the tourists would rather stay with the buses where you have already provided for them. :wink:
2. In temperate, the refrigerated truck has no capacity nor cargo specified. The cargo should be goods except for ECS implementations such as George's ECS Industries which allow food in temperate. Food, of course, is the default in Arctic and Tropical climates. Capacity could be the same as with the box trucks.
3. The livestock refit for the flatbed trucks should place barriers around the flatbed to keep the livestock from jumping off. I spoke too soon, This one works ok as the truck is loaded.
4. The introduction dates for the various vehicle versions (1,2,3,4, and 5) should be spread out over the life of the game. Perhaps a new version introduced every 20 years or so.

Other than those, the set is looking good. I especially like the use of the second company color. 8)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

New version uploaded (see first post), and is in a fully playable state for trucks and buses - complete graphics and code with provisional vehicle statistics. No trams yet.

I would appreciate some testing by someone using ttdpatch, ive broken mine :(. I have set up a new way of defining default cargo types - the first refittable cargo is used as the default cargo. In OpenTTD when a vehicle has no refittable cargo types then the vehicle is removed from the buy menu, and I would appreciate if someone could test what happens in the patch (ie. see what refrigerated trucks do in temperate, and what armoured and refrigerated trucks do in toyland).

Expected cargo refitting by climate and vehicle group.

Code: Select all

Vehicle Group  Temp            Sub-Arct        Sub-Trop        Toy
Bus            Pass            Pass            Pass            Pass
Mail           Mail            Mail            Mail            Mail
Box            Good            Good            Good            Swet Toys   
Armoured       Valu            Gold            Diam            ----
Hopper         Coal Iore Grai  Coal Whea       Core Maiz       Sugr Toff Ctcd
Flatbed        Lvst Wood Stel  Lvst Wood Papr  Lvst Twod       Batt Bubl Fzdr
Tanker         Oil_            Oil_            Oil_ Rubr Watr  Cola Plst
Refrigerated   ----            Food            Food Fruit      ----
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Nice looking set! I'm currently using it in 1921 in Tropic (TTDP) and I have only a bus, armoured, goods van and a mail truck, no flatbeds, tankers or Mineral trucks. I'd recommend having all first gen trucks available in 1920. Aside from that, it looks great! What I would recommend re: the trams as well is release them as a separate grf, so people can choose the tram set they want :)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Bollocks, just noticed ive deleted the most recent .pcx - emergency livestock + wood graphics redraw in process!

Re: DanMacK
Would you like road transport for all cargos available from 1920? I avoided it for semi-reallisticness...
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Does anyone have the slightly older version they can post (yesterdays)? please!!?
Last edited by Zephyris on 19 Aug 2007 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, there were trucks avaialble that early to transport pretty much everything. They didn't carry much (10-15T), but they were there. For gameplay I'd suggest all cargos avail. in 1920.
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Hi. I downloaded this set first time today! Nice work!
But little question! When I wanna buy trailer back of the truck I hold down ctrl key but there not coming trailer, its truck! (two trucks connected with each other!) Is this depending what year I'm playing? For now its 1942
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Articulated vehicles are available later in the game. Its not a driving car/trailer system for compatibility with OpenTTD which doesn't support ctrl+click building of articulated road vehicles.

Return to “Graphics Development”