Who made/owns the rights to the Canadian Train Set Sprites?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Who made/owns the rights to the Canadian Train Set Sprites?

Post by NekoMaster »

I was just wondering who made and/or owns the rights to the Canadian Train set sprites?

I have a copy of the GRF and I was hoping to use a couple of sprites in my NARS Add-On Set as it would be easier to just reuse some sprites then have to redraw everything myself.

I have every intention on giving credit to the artist(s) that made the sprites for the Canadian Train Set. Hopefully the artists aren't dead on the forums.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Who made/owns the rights to the Canadian Train Set Sprites?

Post by supermop »

I am not sure, but I have a vague memory that the set in question is definitely not under a free license.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Contact OzTrans (if you can find him). He might be willing to let you borrow some artwork, or if he didn't draw it, point you to whomever did.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Might be worth talking to DanMack (if he's still around), he might be more forthcoming with Information than OzTrans (I'm aware he had a bit of a fallout here on TT-Forums). This thread also makes mention of Wallyweb and ISA in the first post, so might take a bit of digging to work out who drew what, etc.

Might also be worth a quick look through this thread. I've not had a read of it properly myself, but it's likely someone might have asked about the Graphic.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DanMack drew most of the train sprites. Search the forums for his user name [DanMack] and you should find his permission levels.
ISA contributed a few sprites and as with DanMack, his permission levels should be somewhere in the forums.
OzTrans did do some spritework of his own. What? I don't know. Much of it was livery on an existing sprite.
The code was primarily NFO which is always available in the NewGRF Specifications, but OzTrans was a master at manipulating Assembly Language and those bits of code would be his own.
I did not contribute anything with respect to train sprites, other than testing and French translations.
If you have a legitimately obtained copy of a Canadian Set release, then you should also have a readme in PDF format, which might contain more information.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

I did some searches on OzTrans, looks like he's a lost cause.

Edit: I have been politely asked to remove this post, for completely reasonable reasons. I have chosen to do something of practically the same outcome, by removing the majority of the post. Saying "a lost cause" is an apt description that answers part of the question, without bringing up past events I admittedly wasn't around to see, and all the things I strongly dislike about the situation have been suitably described by responses to the original version of this post from people who were there. If you want an explanation, feel free to read those responses, but due to how off-topic it has pushed this thread into being, you should refrain from commenting further.

Apologies for overstepping any lines, I tend to feel very strongly about what I believe to be injust.
Last edited by SimYouLater on 25 May 2017 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote:...
You are entitled to your opinion, but you have been here since only 2016. There is much more to the story that you are not aware of.

Request to a moderator ... NekoMaster's question seems to have been answered. Perhaps it is time to lock this topic?
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Please, I advise everyone to maintain a civil and polite tone. That includes both sides. I prefer not locking a topic, it should be done only as a last resort.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

The Canadian sets were a painful episode that caused hurt, upset and drama. There is still some bad blood from that with no benefit to anyone and no happy ending. :(

There was also much more to the story - in private conversations - than would be seen in this or other forums, and that's just in the conversations I'm aware of, there would have been others I wasn't part of.

The subject would be best left to sink to the bottom now. I realise that by posting, I prolong the discussion, but eh. :)

I would be grateful if there were no more replies.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Yes. I'm not going to remove SimYouLater's post, but I would ask that we stick to the topic in hand and don't go off into a tangent about behaviour of past members, etc, otherwise more formal action will have to be taken.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:The Canadian sets were a painful episode that caused hurt, upset and drama. There is still some bad blood from that with no benefit to anyone and no happy ending. :(

There was also much more to the story - in private conversations - than would be seen in this or other forums, and that's just in the conversations I'm aware of, there would have been others I wasn't part of.

The subject would be best left to sink to the bottom now. I realise that by posting, I prolong the discussion, but eh. :)

I would be grateful if there were no more replies.
There is somewhat of a happy ending for some of the sprites as they will live on in modified 2cc versions in the NARS ADD-ON set, at least for the Danmack Stuff

Does uzuraptor (one of the other USSet and CanSet artists listed) still come around? or are they dead?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

In short... PM me when You need something from me. Just for my brain so I don't forget
My real life is over the edge atm... once that is sorted I probably be more active and finish some of the stuff what had to be done long time ago

Return to “Graphics Development”