Modern Tram Set [R3]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

karlneil
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Modern Tram Set

Post by karlneil »

Do trams in openttd or ttdpatch support multiple carriages ( these trams i made actually consist of two carriages ). Are the / and \ views then also too big?
Projects: Modern Tram Set (Topic)
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

karlneil wrote:Do trams in openttd or ttdpatch support multiple carriages ( these trams i made actually consist of two carriages ). Are the / and \ views then also too big?
Yes, you can have multi-part trams in TTDPatch and OpenTTD; but as mentioned earlier by AndersI, for each part the /\ and || views need to be half as long as the horizontal view; i.e. if one part is 32 pixels in horizontal view, then all other views need to be 16 pixels long. That is measured along the side of the vehicle.

Look at the mock up. The pink line in the diag view needs to be half as long as the one in the horz view. If the length of the diag view was correct, the tram in horz view needs to be that long. Never mind how many parts there are.
karlneil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by karlneil »

ok hows that?
Attachments
bombardiervario.PNG
bombardiervario.PNG (12.85 KiB) Viewed 6527 times
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

They look better, although are you sure the / \ views are half of the side views?

One thing you will soon learn is that it is a bugger to make decent / \ views and include all the details you have in the side views. That's where the skill of sprite artistry comes in, and its frustrating sometimes! ;)
karlneil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by karlneil »

Can these sprites be coded as they are currently?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

You would need to provide your coder with the sprites for each individual vehicle, rather than for the whole tram as one unit. But otherwise, yes, they could be coded.
karlneil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by karlneil »

Little mockup.
Attachments
untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG (65.05 KiB) Viewed 6490 times
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

karlneil wrote:ok hows that?
Better, but still not there. You have to count the pixels, it's not enough to go by 'looks'. Also, all the cars have to be drawn separately. See example pictures below.
Attachments
49 is not 83 / 2
49 is not 83 / 2
TramError1.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
A three car train
A three car train
Example1.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 6451 times
karlneil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by karlneil »

Well i did lil chopping.
Attachments
untit.PNG
untit.PNG (3.92 KiB) Viewed 6396 times
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Your diagonal views are still much too long. Take a look at the default vehicles in TT, they'll show you that your diagonals need to be shorter.
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

karlneil wrote:Well i did lil chopping.
Sorry, but do you really read our comments? The car length in the diagonal views \ / must be 1/2 of the car length in side vew _. It's not a question of opinion, it's a fact (I think). It also makes life easier for the coder if you line up each car for itself like in my example (with the different directions in that order. All that aside, the trams are looking quite good - now you just have to get all the parts in scale...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AndersI wrote:The car length in the diagonal views \ / must be 1/2 of the car length in side vew _. It's not a question of opinion, it's a fact
It is a fact. Period. If the baseline in the horizontal view is 32 px long, then the baselines in the diagonal views MUST be the diagonals of a 16x8 rectangle. (this is the maximum size for any vehicles other than the first and the last, BTW.) If the baseline in the horizontal view is 24 px long, then the baselines in the diagonal views MUST be the diagonals of a 14x7 rectangle. And so on.

Read Purno's drawing tutorials and obey the size limits specified therein.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

karlneil wrote:Well i did lil chopping.
You are getting there, but nobody has told you yet, that all sprites in horizontal view must be a multiple of 4 pixels, and 2 pixels in diagonal view. Each individual part of your articulated tram has a certain length in 1/8th of a full length vehicle. The longest vehicle part can be 8/8th, the shortest 3/8th. That allows you to have 32, 28, 24, 20, 16 and 12 pixel long sprites in horizontal view and half each for all other views.

I have added the length to the .png. The red ones are too short, too long or not a multiple of 4. For the time being, you should stick to these length exactly, otherwise your tram is not going to look too flashy. Once you have more experience you can deviate just a little bit from that.

ATM, you should concentrate on the horizontal views only; once you've got them right you can do the other views, it saves you a lot of time.

Now, to that middle part, the one 7 pixels long. It must be 12 pixels long (the absolute shortest you can have). If that does not fit the real tram, then that is too bad, but your game tram must adhere to some limitations.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Ooops! The tram is 5 parts, not 3 or 4!
Also the middle-pantograph part (without doors) is misplaced in diagonal views.
Attachments
misplaced_pantograph_car .png
misplaced_pantograph_car .png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 6156 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
karlneil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by karlneil »

Im pulling my hair out , i need someone to somehow more clearly guide me. could someone just draw a simple box showing the correct dimensions of / and \ view.
Attachments
ansaldobredaloc1.PNG
ansaldobredaloc1.PNG (1.2 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
ansaldobredawagon1.PNG
ansaldobredawagon1.PNG (742 Bytes) Viewed 5914 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

karlneil wrote:Im pulling my hair out , i need someone to somehow more clearly guide me. could someone just draw a simple box showing the correct dimensions of / and \ view.
http://users.tt-forums.net/pikka/wiki/i ... _templates
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

karlneil wrote:i need someone to somehow more clearly guide me. could someone just draw a simple box showing the correct dimensions of / and \ view.
You do need to read all the posts in your threads if you want to continue getting answers. I gave you that on the previous page (SpriteSizes.png), more than 20 posts ago!
karlneil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by karlneil »

ok , hows that then?
Attachments
ansaldobredaloc1.PNG
ansaldobredaloc1.PNG (1.81 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modern Tram Set (Updated 27.07)

Post by Ben_K »

karlneil wrote:bump
Hmmm... I can't stand posts like these. I hope the admin class it as 'spam'.

Karl, Im sure if someone had an opinion, they would mention it. If you do need to check people have seen it, at least think of a question or something to ask, rather than just 'bump'. It will just make the forum a nicer place :)
Last edited by Ben_K on 27 Jul 2007 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modern Tram Set (Updated 27.07)

Post by Hyronymus »

Ben_K wrote:
karlneil wrote:bump
Hmmm... I can't stand posts like these. I hope the admin class it as 'spam'.

Karl, Im sure if someone had an opinion, they would mention it. If you do need to check people have seen it, at least think of a question or something to ask, rather than just 'bump'. It will just make the forum a nicer palce :)
I did, Ben_K.

karlneil, don't post a "bump", just be patient. Also, 1-word replies are not allowed too. I'm giving you a friendly prod now, next time it'll be a warning.

Return to “Graphics Development”