[Univ] Generic Tram Set (v0.4)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Generic Tram Set

Post by Zephyris »

It is completely untested in TTDpatch.
If a set is incompatible with TTDpatch it is generally due to sloppy coding in the grf and causes a crash when the grf is first loaded. Other crashes/bugs tend to be much rarer, I'm not sure what to suggest in your case!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Zephyris wrote:I'm not sure what to suggest in your case!
That the coder, oh I don't know, test it in Patch?

You're the one who knows what it supposed to do; you're the one who knows how it's supposed to work; you're the one who's responsible for making sure it behaves. Of course, if you can't make it behave (due to a bug or the lack of support for a feature you're using) you may file it as unsupported. It would be considered good style, in that case, to report the bug and/or lack of feature.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

As grfcrawler says:
Compatible with the latest OpenTTD nightlys.
NOT compatibile with OpenTTD version 0.5X.
TTDpatch compatibility untested.
I'm no expert on newGRfs, this is my first one. I also don't have the patch to test it with. Maybe you could test it in TTDpatch and suggest what the issue is so I can fix it?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I don't know how it works. I don't know how it's supposed to work. And if you've asked for help installing Patch, I've managed to completely miss it.

It's not impossible that there is a bug in Patch, but without knowing what is supposed to happen, I'd have a hard time determining what's a bug in Patch and what's a bug in the GRF.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

DaleStan wrote:
Zephyris wrote:I'm not sure what to suggest in your case!
That the coder, oh I don't know, test it in Patch?

You're the one who knows what it supposed to do; you're the one who knows how it's supposed to work; you're the one who's responsible for making sure it behaves. Of course, if you can't make it behave (due to a bug or the lack of support for a feature you're using) you may file it as unsupported. It would be considered good style, in that case, to report the bug and/or lack of feature.
Zephyris has no obligation to test it in patch, since he developed this grf for openttd!! Does every coder test grf made for patch in openttd?? :roll:

If he tests it in patch is because he wants, not because you want!!

If people have problems with this grf in patch, report them!!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

No, he doesn't have to test in Patch. But he does have to choose either:
1) "If you have problems with this grf in Patch, report them", or
2) Replying to such reports with "Oh, I'm sorry. That's not supported."

You just can't have both. If you're going to encourage reports for a certain configuration, then you need to ready to respond sensibly when such reports appear.
Responding to such a report by going to the Patch fora and saying "I think my code should be doing $FOO, but it's doing $BAR instead. The relevant code is at sprites @NUMS, and here's a savegame that demonstrates. What am I doing wrong?" is a sensible response, as is "Sorry, I require a screenshot/a savegame/more information." "Sorry. I can't help you," is not.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: SuperTycoon

"If you have problems with this grf in Patch, report them" I think it is all coded correctly, as far as I know lots have people have used it in TTDpatch without problems. I would also suggest trying a similar setup with another articulated trams set - hirotrams for example, to try and replicate the crash.

Its just unfortunate DaleStan couldn't be polite and had to flame me instead.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Let's have a beer to cool a bit.
Attachments
bier.jpg
bier.jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 7271 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
StopRightThere
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by StopRightThere »

Good idea athanasios. *drinks*

Those trams fit great into the TTD theme, nice work Zephyris! :))
Bye Bye OpenBVE :(
Official TT-Hot young ginger Doctor Who assistant FanClub
Formerly known as AdditionalData
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Mmmmmm, beer :) sorry to get touchy guys, bad day! no hard feelings :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Remember gentlemen that, while Dalestan is both rude and offensive sometimes, he has the way its supposed to work spot on.

Believe it or not, DigitalFox - such is the nature of people like you moaning about GRFs designed for use with Patch NOT working in Open that many Patch GRF authors DO test their wares in OTTD, or they ask someone to do it for them. As I can tell, Zephyris hasn't done either. However - enough of that. When I return to my humble abode this evening, I shall test the trams for Zephyris in TTD Patch and give him a full status report.

That way, we don't have any arguments, and we don't have any problems. And let's not start another debate about the attitude of the users of both flavours - that's very well documented already.

Zephyris - you have a Private Message waiting for you.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
daft_plonk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by daft_plonk »

hi all

i am just wondering where the trams on Ameecher's website can be downloaded from, ive done a search engine search, and all that comes back are links to his website or they are broken links,

however the trams do look really cool

much appreciated if anyone could help

cheers
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

the thread for his uk tram set can be found here- http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31884

unfortunately it is not yet finished- when it is im sure it will be available to download from his website.

did you use the search function on the forums- i found it pretty quick-
i know it can be a bit tricky though-

one thing-if ameecher reads this- it might be worth having a link to the forum topic on your website- just for people wanting to know more about the set.
previously known as daylight
3pr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 3pr »

I hope this is not too off topic to ask, because i do not know if it is a problem that should be fixed with the vehicles grf or tram tracks grf, is there a way that if i order a tram to turn around it does so only on a tile with tram tracks that illustrate this possibility, and not on any tram track tile.

(I realise after typing that, not only is that a dangerously long sentence but it probably does relate to the track, not the trams, so i further apologies if i am posting where i shouldnt)
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

you probably miss a spot in the next tile before they pile up...
Member of the
ImageImage
AlecTBM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlecTBM »

is it long to the next version is "out"?

Hope the will be more trams. This is genius.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I'm back at uni now so there is little chance of a "next version" i'm afraid, at least in the near future... Though I would code more graphics if people felt like drawing any :D
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

tourist support? :)
Member of the
ImageImage
AlienDNA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlienDNA »

I've been testing it out, and so far it looks excellent! This would complement the passengers with destinations-patch very well!

I hope balance is quickly sorted out, because this sort of thing needs to be in trunk.

Keep up the good work!
"I'm gonna rip his leg off and kick him with it!", Sanjuro, Shogo-MAD
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

How do I put two or more together to make a train, like in the picture in the first post?

Return to “Graphics Development”